Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

05-26-2022, 03:13 AM   #23
TrainingCaptain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX

Were you able to get google maps / apple maps projected to driver’s display when using carplay/android auto?

If yes, do you use it or the maps are better on infotainment screen?

Is there any issue like can’t project google maps but can project apple maps on carplay etc.?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 08:09 AM   #24
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post
Can you comment on whether golf clubs will fit in the back?
From what I've seen posted in the past - golf clubs will fit fine diagonally in the boot but don't usually fit horizontally like in the X5 which has space behind the wheel arches that's a bit wider. This is just second hand knowledge based on stuff I've seen in other threads as I don't have my iX yet and I don't golf.

The boot is surprisingly large though. I was expecting it to be quite small as reviewers often quote the litres volume which looks to be more X3 than X5 size but in practice, it has approximately the same floor area as the X5 but it's more 'square' - no wiggly extra space bits on the side.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 08:38 AM   #25
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post
Can you comment on whether golf clubs will fit in the back?
My current X5, and according to comments on the forum the cargo floor width/length on the iX is similar or identical, with the exception of the side "cutouts" on the X5. At least two sets of clubs should fit diagonally in the iX, with pull carts, with the second row up.

Appreciate 1
mcl117.00
      05-26-2022, 12:47 PM   #26
mcl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3, 2022 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrobX5 View Post

Let's see that Blue Ridge Mountain colour

I was actually thinking about that but my iX is always parked in a poorly lit underground garage, whether it's at home or (rarely) at work, so I'd have to find an occasion to park it outside to take good pictures.

Also, it's really dirty right now from the trips to the mountains and beach, so will probably have to wash it too before pictures.
      05-26-2022, 12:51 PM   #27
mcl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainingCaptain View Post
Were you able to get google maps / apple maps projected to driver’s display when using carplay/android auto?

If yes, do you use it or the maps are better on infotainment screen?

Is there any issue like can’t project google maps but can project apple maps on carplay etc.?
No idea about Android Auto and maps and as we don't have an Android device in the family. Apple CarPlay has worked flawlessly, though both my wife and I much prefer the BMW nav mostly just due to better integration with the car overall and with the voice assistant specifically. We're not big Siri fans, TBH.
      05-26-2022, 12:53 PM   #28
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl View Post

I was actually thinking about that but my iX is always parked in a poorly lit underground garage, whether it's at home or (rarely) at work, so I'd have to find an occasion to park it outside to take good pictures.

Also, it's really dirty right now from the trips to the mountains and beach, so will probably have to wash it too before pictures.
It's ok take pics of it as is too.... I'd like to see what it will actually look like when dirty, i.e. what it will look like most of the time in my case
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 12:58 PM   #29
mcl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
It's ok take pics of it as is too.... I'd like to see what it will actually look like when dirty, i.e. what it will look like most of the time in my case
lol, OK, I'll see if I can find some time to get it outdoors into reasonable light for pictures.
      05-26-2022, 01:08 PM   #30
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X5MC, '23 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
My current X5, and according to comments on the forum the cargo floor width/length on the iX is similar or identical, with the exception of the side "cutouts" on the X5. At least two sets of clubs should fit diagonally in the iX, with pull carts, with the second row up.

Yep. I traded my X5 few weeks ago, wife still has her 45e. iX space is identical in the trunk, in fact its even easier to put stuff into because its lower. The cutouts aren't there, but it also has a decent size subtrunk where I keep loose stuff I used to have in my X5 trunk. Completely happy and with the addition of more legroom in the 2nd row, I like my iX better.

Only thing I miss is the split tailgate, but is what it is!
Appreciate 2
Paladin15556.00
mcl117.00
      05-26-2022, 02:16 PM   #31
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Quote:
Exactly Nothing wrong with little dirty pictures lol
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2448.00
      05-27-2022, 01:38 AM   #32
TrainingCaptain
Enlisted Member
Rep

Btw did you take bmw care + ? Is it worth it in case of iX?

Also did you get any offers/incentives on the car or was it at msrp?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 01:43 AM   #33
mcl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Btw did you take bmw care + ? Is it worth it in case of iX?

Also did you get any offers/incentives on the car or was it at msrp?
I did not get BMW Care+. I've got almost eight years in my i3 and haven't felt like I needed it, so didn't feel like the iX would be any difference. I guess time will tell

No incentives, MSRP. No dealer mark-up either. Inquired about both lease terms and loan rates and wasn't offered anything special or appealing there either, so chose to just buy cash.
      05-27-2022, 09:22 AM   #34
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Hi, Is there a camping mode in the car? I mean can the car keep ac on while idle or parked. I guess tesla has something like this.
I don't think I'll be spending north of $100k to sleep in my trunk. That's something unique to Tesla owners which I never understood. Kind of ghetto if you ask me.
Appreciate 4
volodp196.50
BigHunk269.50
KRS_SN13515.00
      05-27-2022, 10:43 AM   #35
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
I don't think I'll be spending north of $100k to sleep in my trunk. That's something unique to Tesla owners which I never understood. Kind of ghetto if you ask me.
Compared to being in a tiny camping tent, using your car is a step up I guess due to having climate control.

However, the traditional, stereotypical buyer of a luxury car is not going camping in a tiny tent. They are either renting a cabin, or if they actually enjoy camping and sleeping outdoors, they buy a big sized tent that they can stand in. Having climate control in the car sure is nice but IMHO defeats the point of going camping in the first place.

But with that said, it would be a nice to have feature for some people, doesn't require any extra hardware and development costs on the software side to enable it should be minimal. I would occasionally use it when stuck waiting for my wife or kids somewhere. It would be nice for it not to stop the AC/heat every half hour or whatever the max time is on the iX but not really a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 05:33 PM   #36
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Compared to being in a tiny camping tent, using your car is a step up I guess due to having climate control.

However, the traditional, stereotypical buyer of a luxury car is not going camping in a tiny tent. They are either renting a cabin, or if they actually enjoy camping and sleeping outdoors, they buy a big sized tent that they can stand in. Having climate control in the car sure is nice but IMHO defeats the point of going camping in the first place.

But with that said, it would be a nice to have feature for some people, doesn't require any extra hardware and development costs on the software side to enable it should be minimal. I would occasionally use it when stuck waiting for my wife or kids somewhere. It would be nice for it not to stop the AC/heat every half hour or whatever the max time is on the iX but not really a big deal.
Agreed that it's a minimal tweak for software but would be really handy on the occasions where you might want it. There have been a handful of times since I first learned to drive where being able to lie down in the back of the car with the seats down, be it to sleep, or to relax, has been handy and appreciated. Those few times is why I always keep a couple of blankets in the boot of my car. You're likely to never need them but if you ever do, you'll *really* want them.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 06:42 PM   #37
TrainingCaptain
Enlisted Member
Rep

What are the incentives for the charging you are getting?

I know of Electrify America 30 min free session. Is there a limit like 1 free session per day? Or it’s unlimited per day with some timeout in between?

What about EVgo? Any offers on that?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 09:34 PM   #38
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What are the incentives for the charging you are getting?

I know of Electrify America 30 min free session. Is there a limit like 1 free session per day? Or it’s unlimited per day with some timeout in between?

What about EVgo? Any offers on that?
I believe I saw a video review of the EA incentive where they charged the car 30 minutes, stopped charging and resumed another session. So it looked like more or less unlimited, although there could be some time limitation after so many sessions....
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 02:47 PM   #39
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

I am pretty sure it is an unlimited session with the first 30 mins free. The session will not stop, but you will charged for the kW/h's consumed starting with min 31 till the end. If you disconnect, you need to wait 60 mins to get another free 30 mins.

Keep in mind that the bulk of the charging will be front loaded as that is when the battery can take the most juice, the charging rate slows towards the end and you will be paying a lot less towards the end, it might even be enough to bet you going for another 3 or so hours of driving, then rinse and repeat.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      05-30-2022, 09:12 AM   #40
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake6551 View Post
Yep. I traded my X5 few weeks ago, wife still has her 45e. iX space is identical in the trunk, in fact its even easier to put stuff into because its lower. The cutouts aren't there, but it also has a decent size subtrunk where I keep loose stuff I used to have in my X5 trunk. Completely happy and with the addition of more legroom in the 2nd row, I like my iX better.

Only thing I miss is the split tailgate, but is what it is!
One thing I love about the x5 is my ability to stand up three large suitcases. Does ix have height capacity equal to or exceeding x5?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 09:50 AM   #41
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
One thing I love about the x5 is my ability to stand up three large suitcases. Does ix have height capacity equal to or exceeding x5?
I think closer to the X6 (coupe style), so height will definitely be lower than the X5, but fit depends on the size of the luggage of course.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 10:18 AM   #42
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Does ix have height capacity equal to or exceeding x5?
Short answer is no.

What I had noted when the dealer had an iX for a couple of days back in november 2021 was "We measured 44 inches wide, 41.5 inches deep in the center, a little less as you move to the sides, and about 29 inches in height at best but in an irregular shape (measured to the roof with the trunk divider thing removed). There is a 4 inch difference with the X5 in terms of height and the X5 trunk is more square." which I had posted here in response to another post.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 12:01 PM   #43
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It all depends on the size and shape of your suitcases. From my measurements when I test drove one back in February, the max usable height was a little over 60cm for most of the boot (about 2 feet). As in, the rear is angled but the glass gives you more space than you think. There's more height in the middle where the hinges aren't in the way. I was pretty happy with the look of the boot, to be honest although the parcel shelf is dumb. I'll see how things go, but we'll probably end up keeping the parcel shelf in the cellar. Maybe a third party will come up with some light weight foldable solution.

I should hopefully be getting my car next week, so might be able to give more measurements then.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 05:25 PM   #44
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Thanks for all the input on the trunk. I’m able to get some 30” wheeled luggage to stand np in the x5. Sounds like won’t be the case with ix but not the end of the world
Appreciate 0