BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches

02-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #23
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etek View Post
While I do like the Obris Morgan..the "30" being wrongside up looks weird to me. I wanted one before I saw that. I have a Seiko SBDC003 blue "sumo" that I've been wearing everyday since I got it. Until today when my Steinhart B-UHR just came in so will give that a go. The question what kind of watch do you want? Dive..dress..etc what size do you want as well. Pic of the blumo and a very nice Victorinox

has a clear caseback to see the movement as well
I want something dressy and classy, not too sporty.
      02-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #24
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpatrick35 View Post
I'm not a big fan of Movado myself, just because I don't like the empty dial.

In that price range, I'd look at Hamilton or Oris.
Nah i really dont like Tag.
      02-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #25
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianN54 View Post
Movado is a designer- fashion watch. I wouldn't wear one.
arent they all?
      02-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #26
BavarianN54
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
arent they all?
No
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #27
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
I want something dressy and classy, not too sporty.
Dressy Classy:
One thing to keep in mind, particularly if you live a "business casual" sort of lifestyle, is that many a watch that might technically be a sport watch -- all divers and field watches fall in this category -- with the right strap/bracelet are going to be more than adequately dressy. I have to say though that I've not seen many at all, notwithstanding Bond and his Seamaster, that are dressy enough for me to wear with a suit.

That said, if I were to have only one watch, and I needed to wear a watch, whatever watch I have would be dressy or casual enough for whatever occasion because I'd sooner know the time of day when I need to than have no way to tell save for my shadow and the angle of the sun. Seeing as I also have a phone that tells time, and I'm not trekking alone in the desert without a compass, I pretty much always have access to the time of day. And I have multiple watches, so I follow a pretty strict dress/sport/in-between standard of what to wear with various outfits.

One of my friends whom I've known since childhood is also a watch junkie. I tease him about his choice to wear, I don't know, say a JLC Master Compressor with a smart, grey dress suit and cuff links. But that's not something that would even cross my mind to do with a stranger, or even other close friends who I know don't share my passion for watches.

(FWIW, I catch it from my friend when it comes to boats. He loves to rib me for buying a sloop rather than a yawl since his boat is much roomier and more comfortable than mine for long trips, to say nothing of looking a hell of a lot prettier. I give it right back to him each time we race, and every time he's dealing with sails as I ask if he'd like something from the cafe. <winks and chuckles>)
  • Limes: Check out Limes other models

• Raymond Weil -- Just about anything; they all have that sleek Movado-esque look to some extent
  • Fredrique Constant - Several models, but a few are pictured below
  • Benarus - Their Sea Snake model has a dressy-ish feel due to the interior link pattern on the bracelet. The bezel details is the counterpoint that makes it feel a bit more sporty.

• Issey Miyake TO
  • Obaku (http://www.obaku.com/#watches?sex=G) -- I have no direct exposure to these watches. Just something I know about.
  • Skagen -- I can't tell any great difference between the general look and feel of these and the Obaku brand noted above. Both are very inexpensive so if you just want to give either a whirl, do so.
  • Rado - A slightly more mature version of a Movado, IMO. If one is keen to buy a sleek, trendy looking watch that will still look smart 20 years later, Rado is as good a pick as Movado.
  • Philippe Stark -- check his site to see what he's offering now. It's always changing and always uber-modern looking. The non-digital ones are going to be more timeless looking for regular wear
  • U-Boat -- Modern cross between military and dress. You may have to buy an 3rd party strap to dress up one of their offerings but that's not a bad thing. Check out their website. They have some nifty stuff.
  • Muhle-Glashutte -- A little known German brand that makes some really sweet watches. You'll have to put in some effort to hit your price point, but it's doable. I just pictured this one from Right Time (full retail), so you should be able to find it for a good bit less at a discount seller. Both Right Time and Muhle-Glashutte have more styles you can check out.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you are looking for a very contemporary watch, your choices are somewhat limited in your price range. That's not a bad thing, just a thing to know. For that modern style of watch and the price range you want to be in, Movado and Rado are right there. That's their sweet spot; it's what they do, and quite frankly, they mostly do a darn good job of it. Outside of that, you will be looking mostly at what are derisively referred to as "fashion" watches.

"Fashion watch" is purely a snob's term. Real watch people don't dog a watch because of who made it. They dog a watch for being poorly made or for not living up to the standards its maker defined for it. Trust me when I tell you that real watchies don't give a flying f*ck about someone else's negative comments about their watch because they know if they hear such thing the person commenting doesn't know WTH are talking about and are just aping some crap they read/heard elsewhere. A watchie is interested in pretty nearly any watch you want to discuss or show them, much like real dog lovers adore just about any mangy mut that wags its tail and looks lovingly into their eyes. The short is that watch folks know that spending hundreds of thousands on a watch is not a license to thus deem all other watches, even $10 ones to be trash. Hell, if one can buy a $10 watch that lasts for five years before it looks like hell or has had a major malfunction, provided one is happy with it, one should keep buying $10 watches. It's going to be far more economical in the long run than even one $1K watch. And I can tell you know that every $10 watch keeps time as well as any watch costing $10K.

BACK ON TOPIC

As for your style choice options, as I said fashion watches are one. Another will be Citizen and Seiko. I didn't list them above because I'm sure you don't need me to tell you to check them out, and you already know they make excellent products. Be sure too to check out a website showing their Asian market only offerings.

Another approach-- style wise -- that comes to mind is to "make what's old be new again." To do that, go with something that is uber traditional bu so simple in its design that it can be seen as modern. Taking this approach requires one actually have a real style sense for the watch itself won't look contemporary (except maybe its size of you are considering something larger than 40mm). It will only be seen to work as modern when paired with modern looks. Here are a few examples.

(Note: As far s the sportswear goes, I'm referring to the pieces, not to the idea that they should be worn all together as pictured on the models. I don't know if there are folks who think men's fashions are actually expected to be worn the way they are presented and paired on the runway, but just in case there are such folks out there....I figured I better say something.)

If you understand the idea behind neoclassical architecture, you'll know what I mean. For example, ancient Egyptian style furnishings work super well in minimalist, modern spaces. Similarly, a Van der Rohe or Eames chair will look great in a neoclassical space with Ionic or Doric columns and dentil moldings. I don't know of something to specifically suggest right now, but a few that have the right look that come to mind are the Calatrava 5120, the Saxonia Thin, any number of Cellini watches, practically anything from DeWitt, Cartier, Angular Momentum or Ulysse Nardin. (I had to laugh when I was choosing pics to post as I'd written the text before I chose the pics. I decided I had to include the D&G sweaters that you see above because the prints of Greek architecture on Dolce & Gabbana garb could not have more hit the nail on the head re: the type of juxtaposition I wrote about.)

One parting thought...Of course anyone can wear whatever the hell they feel like wearing, but I'd suggest if you don't have a "fashion forward" sort of self confidence and look -- regardless of whether it's D&G, Versace, Varvators or Ralph Lauren, you might want to choose a slightly less "fashion forward" looking watch than the one initially pictured. The one you pictured is a beautiful watch, but it takes Cary Grant flair to pull it off smoothly if one is rather dull, albeit well put together, in one's general style. Just some friendly advice there. Of course, I don't know a damn thing about your personal style, so the advice may not be needed.

For example, the OP watch probably won't look its best with this outfit, even though the outfit looks great for a casual outing. If I had a different one to pick, But, yes, it would do

The OP watch will look great with any of these looks, including the more casual ones.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #28
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Dressy Classy:
One thing to keep in mind, particularly if you live a "business casual" sort of lifestyle, is that many a watch that might technically be a sport watch -- all divers and field watches fall in this category -- with the right strap/bracelet are going to ...

All the best.

I was thinking the same thing too, if a real watch junkie/guru likes a $10 watch that will a last long, they wouldn't care what other thought about it.

The search continues.
Here's my style. I like Nice things that no one knows about or a better way to put it: I like nice things that are not overly popular.

And this goes for almost everything i like from Sports teams, Athletes, Shoes, Cologne, Cars ( well except that BMWs are becoming overly popular lately).

So thats why its a little tough for me to pick a brand and model, i really have to like it and at the same time i dont wanna see every Joe wearing the same watch as me
      02-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #29
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing too, if a real watch junkie/guru likes a $10 watch that will a last long, they wouldn't care what other thought about it.

The search continues.
Here's my style. I like Nice things that no one knows about or a better way to put it: I like nice things that are not overly popular.

And this goes for almost everything i like from Sports teams, Athletes, Shoes, Cologne, Cars ( well except that BMWs are becoming overly popular lately).

So thats why its a little tough for me to pick a brand and model, i really have to like it and at the same time i dont wanna see every Joe wearing the same watch as me
Well if that's what you want, in your desired price range, you'll want to perhaps begin your search with watches made in Russia, The Czech Republic, U.S., Iceland, or China. There are certainly Swiss and German brand that are nice, not widely known, and modestly priced, but you'll get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

PM if you want specific suggestions beyond what I've already provided above an in the Blue Watches and Dive watches threads, along with my post above.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #30
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Well if that's what you want, in your desired price range, you'll want to perhaps begin your search with watches made in Russia, The Czech Republic, U.S., Iceland, or China. There are certainly Swiss and German brand that are nice, not widely known, and modestly priced, but you'll get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

PM if you want specific suggestions beyond what I've already provided above an in the Blue Watches and Dive watches threads, along with my post above.

All the best.
I definitely appreciate your input a lot. My watch knowledge is broadened now!