BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

07-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

New Owner, Some Questions

Greetings, happy new owner of a ‘19 i3s here few questions

-Is there any way to skip the audio tracks from the steering wheel while using CarPlay? I’m aware of the buttons on the dash but they’re really far. Scroll wheel doesn’t seem to do anything when CarPlay is the audio source

-Can you set the temperature of the comfort climate control? I see settings for timing but not what to set the actual temp to. Does it set it to whatever the dial is set to? Or some preset range from the factory?

-I’ve read that people have swapped in one of the wood trims in a Deka interior, but I haven’t been able to find a picture of it. Anybody have a shot at what it looks like?

Thanks

Oh yeah, here’s the new BFF’s

07-08-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
Paul Swanson
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s

Congratulations on your I3S. It looks just like mine which I love. The temperature set for the climate control is that 3 cm round dial with numbers in the middle. Just turn it to set what ever temperature you want. I can’t help with car play. I have it but haven’t really learned how to use it yet. There is lots to learn. You are going to like your S.
Appreciate 1
yousefnjr6115.00
      07-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

Thanks, yes I’m in love already she’s a hoot. Sorry I realize now that I’ve worded that bit about the climate control poorly. I mean when you want to “climatize” the car from the Connected app, or have the car warm up for you in the morning before you leave via destination schedule. How do you set the temp for that? With the knob?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:32 PM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Greetings, happy new owner of a ‘19 i3s here few questions
Congratulations on your new purchase!

Quote:
-Can you set the temperature of the comfort climate control? I see settings for timing but not what to set the actual temp to. Does it set it to whatever the dial is set to?
Yes.
Remotely activating Climate Control will instruct the car to bring interior temp to whatever you had dialed-in before.
Effectively, it "powers up" interior climate control, but doesn't allow you to update its settings. Same goes for all other BMW models. That's the side-effect of raiding BMW parts bin to build an i3, instead of designing everything from scratch.

Quote:
-I’ve read that people have swapped in one of the wood trims in a Deka interior, but I haven’t been able to find a picture of it. Anybody have a shot at what it looks like?
I was going to suggest searching eBay and Amazon for i3 interior vinyl wraps, but was disappointed to find out that there weren't any pre-cut patterns!
There are a few choices for BMW 3-/5-series, tons of options for Tesla's, but nothing for i3.

Hopefully, you will have more luck finding them than I did.
Applying a wrap on top of the existing trim would be way simpler, cheaper, and faster than swapping interior pieces.

a
Appreciate 1
yousefnjr6115.00
      07-09-2019, 06:57 AM   #5
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I believe that the pre-condition temperature is hard-coded to 72F on USA-spec cars, or at least that's what my 2015 model does. Once you power it up, it will then adjust to the last temperature setting on the thermostat knob. (I only purchased it a few months ago, and am hoping that the above is wrong because I would like to crank the pre-condition heat up to max during the winter to melt snow/ice before I get in.)

I've read online articles about people swapping the Giga World (Lodge interior for the rest of the world) eucalyptus wood dash parts into Deka/Mega cars. There was a supply problem at one point IIRC, but I don't know if it is still an issue.....
      07-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

Thanks all. I think it might be hard coded too. I had my dial left in the 60’s this morning, but when I got in my car the heater was on (~57 deg outside). I guess that’s why the manual etc all say it will set it to a “comfortable temperature.”
      07-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #7
Deho
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 MINI Countryman SE

Deka and eucalyptus

I had my Deka (Atelier) interior fitted with the eucalyptus wood at my dealer. They had to order the part. Looks much better to me than the grey plastic. I attach a picture to this message, hope it works, it's my first time trying in this forum.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
vreihen1614906.00
yousefnjr6115.00
      07-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Interesting combination of the dark surrounding trim with the eucalyptus wood. The Giga (Lodge) uses white-ish trim with the eucalyptus.....
      07-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #9
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

Wow that looks great. I was worried it wouldn’t really match the darker trim but it totally does. Thanks!
      07-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
theschoolbus
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audis

I'm a new user to the site and it seems I am forced to make a reply before I can make new post, so here it is

Actually, on the topic of the wood, I originally thought the light wood looked strange with the dark interior which I saw in older i3's I've been looking at. I thought I saw in newer models they changed that and now have darker/grey instead, but I hadn't looked closely. Is that actually plastic and not wood?

Mark
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #11
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theschoolbus View Post
Actually, on the topic of the wood, I originally thought the light wood looked strange with the dark interior which I saw in older i3's I've been looking at. I thought I saw in newer models they changed that and now have darker/grey instead, but I hadn't looked closely. Is that actually plastic and not wood?
i3 has multiple interior trims/looks, and both the list and color choices had evolved over time. Currently:
- Deka has (dark) grey plastic interior accents and seats with blue accents
- Mega has (dark) brown plastic interior accents with light light grey cloth seats with brown accents
- Tera has (dark) brown wood interior accents with brown leather/cloth seats
- Giga has (dark) brown brown wood interior accents with light grey cloth seats with brown accents

In the past, eucalyptus wood was part of either Mega or Tera package, but now you get eucalyptus only if you also buy "technology" package.

Personally, I don't care for wood in my car (save it for the bedroom), so I prefer Deka interior.

YMMV,
a
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 11:49 PM   #12
Voltron_i3
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3 REX & Prius Prime

I added the dark oak to my Mega trim. I purchased mine on ebay from a overseas seller (Budapest). Install was fairly easy. Glove box cover was held in with a couple of screws and the other two popped off with some panel removal tools.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
yousefnjr6115.00
MXNSITH198.50
      07-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #13
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deho View Post
I had my Deka (Atelier) interior fitted with the eucalyptus wood at my dealer. They had to order the part. Looks much better to me than the grey plastic. I attach a picture to this message, hope it works, it's my first time trying in this forum.
Wait, so you can't order the Tera with light bamboo anymore? My last two i3's have had that spec. I'm going to be ordering an i3s soon and will be very disappointed if that's the case.

Edit - just checked the BMW configurator. Seems like "Light Eucalyptus Wood" is still an option on Tera i3s. I always thought it was bamboo. Did that change at some point?

Last edited by TimeFor; 07-16-2019 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:33 PM   #14
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deho View Post
Wait, so you can't order the Tera with light bamboo anymore? My last two i3's have had that spec. I'm going to be ordering an i3s soon and will be very disappointed if that's the case.

Edit - just checked the BMW configurator. Seems like "Light Eucalyptus Wood" is still an option on Tera i3s. I always thought it was bamboo. Did that change at some point?
It was always eucalyptus. Not many dealerships get the eucalyptus unfortunately. I think it's totally worth it for the upgraded interior. Most cars are deca including mine and it's okay but doesn't have the warmth of my old i3 with eucalyptus. Seems like you have to order it or get lucky with one.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 09:43 PM   #15
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C, 2019 i3 REX, 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron_i3 View Post
I added the dark oak to my Mega trim. I purchased mine on ebay from a overseas seller (Budapest). Install was fairly easy. Glove box cover was held in with a couple of screws and the other two popped off with some panel removal tools.
Can you explain how you installed the induction charger? Did you install that when you swapped the trim?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #16
crandus
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s

<<Is there any way to skip the audio tracks from the steering wheel while using CarPlay? I’m aware of the buttons on the dash but they’re really far. Scroll wheel doesn’t seem to do anything when CarPlay is the audio source>>

The scroll wheel will control CarPlay functions like skip track - just need to make sure the CarPlay screen is active, then turn the scroll wheel until your desired function is highlighted - be it Pause, Skip Forward, Skip Back. Then press the main wheel down and viola! No need for steering wheel controls aside from volume.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:42 AM   #17
kisp33
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 120Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron_i3 View Post
Hi Voltron!
I sold that dark oak to you! It's nice to see on it's place...

If anyone interested about availibility (both dark oak and eucalyptus) pls private me!
Appreciate 0