Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
Chickenmusket
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i, 2015 i8

2015 i8 Drive train restart error

Hi, I bought this i8 used in July 2019 from BMW Chorpus Christi, the car ran great, until November 6,2019 when I got the Drivetrain cannot restart error, the dealer could not solve it and had to open a case with BMWNA, they finally said 4 of the 6 high voltage battery modules had to be replaced, car is still at the dealer waiting for the modules, its been almost 2 complete months, anybody, heard of any backorder issues with the high voltage battery modules?? Or having a similar issue?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
eswimm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmusket View Post
Hi, I bought this i8 used in July 2019 from BMW Chorpus Christi, the car ran great, until November 6,2019 when I got the Drivetrain cannot restart error, the dealer could not solve it and had to open a case with BMWNA, they finally said 4 of the 6 high voltage battery modules had to be replaced, car is still at the dealer waiting for the modules, its been almost 2 complete months, anybody, heard of any backorder issues with the high voltage battery modules?? Or having a similar issue?
What did you do to open a case with BMW NA? I've had the car in at two different dealerships now. The first claimed it was a bad 12V, upgraded code and it came back on the way home. The 2nd claims no codes in the system and they can't reproduce.

I'm the engine won't restart error along with a regenerative braking system error.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
Chickenmusket
Rep

Hi, I didn't do anything, the dealer couldn't figure out what the problem was and they called BMWNA to open the case. I suggest you call BMWNA Customer Relations line, work thru the prompts until to get to the Iconcierge. I call -1-800-831-1117. Honestly, I haven't gotten any traction with this by talking to them, but there is a string of calls and updates in case i need it later , I keep calling everyday pressuring for fix, or at least an update of when the cell modules will arrive. Good Luck, let me know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
eswimm
Private
Rep

My problems have gone from bad to worse. I'm now getting a whole slew of errors, including chassis stabilization, hybrid system failure, high voltage failure, reduced engine power and the car's going into limp mode. It's at the dealership again after just spending 2 1/2 months there and a 3 week stint before that. Sounds like it might be a few more months... has anyone successfully had BMW extend a warranty due to extended service times? It's looking like this car could spend 6 months of its 1 year CPO at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #5
Chickenmusket
Rep

I feel your pain

Eswimm,
I haven't tried to get the warranty extended, I will look thru the forums to see, mine is still at the dealer now going on day 74, at least they said the parts are in the country, lets see , how much longer this take, argh!!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
Chickenmusket
Rep

Finally got car back

it took 92 days, but I just got the car back, and BMW will be reimbursing me for my loan payments for the 3 months the car was out. Just glad I have my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #7
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora, BMW i8

Is this an issue thats been sorted out on the later years like 2017 and later? Or is this still an ongoing problem experienced by all model years old and new? It sounds pretty terrible. Im waiting for the later part of the year to pick up a preowned 2016 or 2017. Definitely would not get one without CPO.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:05 PM   #8
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockescow View Post
Is this an issue thats been sorted out on the later years like 2017 and later? Or is this still an ongoing problem experienced by all model years old and new? It sounds pretty terrible. Im waiting for the later part of the year to pick up a preowned 2016 or 2017. Definitely would not get one without CPO.
I think, this is not just an i8 problem. I had multiple drivetrain error with the F80 M3 (but not with the 2015 i8)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #9
eswimm
Private
Rep

They eventually diagnosed my problems to two issues. A loose ground that was affecting regenerative braking and a pinched fuel line that was causing fuel starvation at WOT. Been a couple weeks now and they haven't come back, but they were fairly rare before.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 01:52 PM   #10
Chickenmusket
Rep

Remeber the Lithium Ion batterys are warraented for 8 yrs or 100k miles. From BMW NA Warranty guide for the i8

High-Voltage Lithium-Ion Battery
LimitedWarranty
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW NA) warrants
the high-voltage lithium-ion battery assembly
against defects in materials or workmanship for a
period of 8 years/100,000 miles, whichever
occurs first.
High-Voltage Lithium-Ion Battery
Capacity Coverage
The high-voltage lithium-ion battery modules are
covered against excessive capacity loss for a
period of 8 years/100,000 miles, whichever
occurs first. This coverage is in addition to the
high-voltage lithium-ion battery’s limited
warranty for defects in materials or workmanship.
Due to its inherent technical design, the
high-voltage lithium-ion battery’s capacity will
decrease over time and with use. If an authorized
BMW center’s capacity check concludes that the
net battery capacity is less than 70 percent of its
original nominal value when it was new, this level
of capacity loss is considered excessive.
During the High-Voltage Lithium-Ion Battery
Capacity Coverage period, BMWNA will cover
the necessary component repair or replacement
to correct this excessive capacity loss when
performed by an authorized BMW center.
Battery performance and durability, including
high-voltage lithium-ion batteries, is
temperature-dependent.While battery capacity
increases in higher temperatures, colder
temperatures will lower the battery’s capacity.
Extreme high and/or low temperatures may
impact the battery’s service life.
Appreciate 0