Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-24-2020, 02:20 PM   #23
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Montreal is very nice at the end of September. Paris-lite.

On the travel time question, anything over 6 hours one way for a special trip I would book first class. Expensive, even with miles to use, but beats a lifetime (marriage-time) of bitching about the planes. Start and end right, being pampered and as comfortable as a long flight can be.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #24
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

The Maldives is a winner for sure. Stayed at the St. Regis in Vommuli not long after it opened a couple years ago. I don't agree with the comment about being stuck on the island and being bored. We went to relax and completely disconnect, not seeking adventure and to explore. The Maldives is incredibly remote and the feeling is one of tranquility. I've never experienced anything like it. Travel time to get there was a non-issue because it was one stop of many we made throughout Europe, Asia and Africa.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      02-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #25
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I'm an Aussie that lives in Toronto so 20+ hrs is par for the course. Without kids it all seems so fucking easy. With kids, shoot me fucking now. But i wouldn't do 20+ hrs for a week as you will eat a lot of time travelling, 2 weeks, minimum.

I would honestly do Europe. Before you know it you have kids and shit like this gets fucking hard to do.

Plus the August shit show is over and September is a great month to go.
Appreciate 2
Clark_Kent2208.00
RickFLM410880.50
      02-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #26
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'm an Aussie that lives in Toronto so 20+ hrs is par for the course. Without kids it all seems so fucking easy. With kids, shoot me fucking now. But i wouldn't do 20+ hrs for a week as you will eat a lot of time travelling, 2 weeks, minimum.

I would honestly do Europe. Before you know it you have kids and shit like this gets fucking hard to do.

Truer words were never spoken. Once you have kids you can forget about it. My wife and I have taken some pretty wild vacations and it would've been very difficult to do traveling with small kids. The solve = leave them at home
      02-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #27
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I feel like people are answering two different questions here. The first one being ‘what’s a good place/alternative place to go on honeymoon’. And the second one being ‘is it worth it to spend a significant amount of my precious vacation time and sanity on 20+ hour trips’.

I’ll refrain from jumping in on the first one because there are probably as many opinions as there are destinations on that one.

On the second, I’ll say that airlines and their ilk have certainly made it suck worse than the past, and with every year it seems to get worse. I think the only people who are willing to overlook the pain of these trips are 1.) going to a place they’ve always dreamed of going and will bear the pain to have their dream realized, or 2.) people who have had the travel bug all their lives and will tolerate suckitude as a cost of their hobby, the same way a car guy will tolerate stiff suspension and catless exhaust fumes.

Since you’re asking the question, I’m guessing you guys aren’t 2.

So are any of your options someplace you have always dreamed of going, or is it just someplace that you’ve heard is nice to go? The more emotionally invested you are in your destination, the more suck you’ll be willing to tolerate, i think
I've traveled all over the US countless times and out of country for work. Together we've been to Mexico a few times and Punta Cana. We're young so we haven't had the privilege of going over to Europe or anything. I'd say we both love to travel to different destinations, but can't say we have the travel bug due to my initial statements. I honestly can't tell you where I've dreamed to go, as sad as it is I don't really think that way lol. I think her thought is more along the lines of "this is the perfect excuse/reason to go somewhere further away". Where I don't necessarily see the reasoning in that since like I said we're young and I plan on making a lot more $$ and trips in the future. Regardless she will probably get her way lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:50 PM   #28
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Truer words were never spoken. Once you have kids you can forget about it. My wife and I have taken some pretty wild vacations and it would've been very difficult to do traveling with small kids. The solve = leave them at home
Very true, I guess I didn't consider this. I know she will want kids soon after we are married although I'm trying to hold her off for a few more years. Don't get me wrong, I want kids, but not yet haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #29
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Meh. We take our kids all over the place. It sucks when they're under three, but after that they pretty much occupy themselves. We took our daughter with us to Italy when she was 14 months and it was fine.

We went to eastern Europe (Black Sea) a couple of years ago (when they were 3&4) and missed our connection in Heathrow. Two more airports and 10 more hours of layovers and the adults were ready to strangle someone. Kids didn't seem bothered in the least. I guess it depends on the kids but ours really like the adventure.

They are four and six now and we're taking them to the Bahamas tomorrow for the second time. They love it, though it's only like a 2.5hr flight.

All that said, we do also take a parent's trip each year without the kiddos. Last year we went to Paris and it was great. I hated the idea of going to France but my wife really pushed for it (she had been a few times for work). Welp... I fell in love with the place and can't wait to go back.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      02-24-2020, 03:21 PM   #30
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

All inclusive works with kids, seeing and doing shit is a massive PITA especially on a 5 hr flight followed by a 16 hr flight and arriving 7am and getting them to stay awake until 7pm.

FML.

OP go to Nice. Once you have kids you can do all inclusive and relax, it's hard to go to Nice and see the Riviera. You could do anywhere in europe but nice really does work as a base.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #31
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Unforutantely our wedding and honeymoon will be during the wet season. So taking a little bit of a gamble. With that in mind, a lot of these all inclusive resorts are cheaper when you book non-refundable (by close to $1,000 since I'm looking at 9 nights). Do I gamble on that or make sure that I can be refunded? I know what I should do, I just don't want to pay that much extra.
!
Just buy refund for any reason travel insurance
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #32
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
I've traveled all over the US countless times and out of country for work. Together we've been to Mexico a few times and Punta Cana. We're young so we haven't had the privilege of going over to Europe or anything. I'd say we both love to travel to different destinations, but can't say we have the travel bug due to my initial statements. I honestly can't tell you where I've dreamed to go, as sad as it is I don't really think that way lol. I think her thought is more along the lines of "this is the perfect excuse/reason to go somewhere further away". Where I don't necessarily see the reasoning in that since like I said we're young and I plan on making a lot more $$ and trips in the future. Regardless she will probably get her way lol.
Gotcha. Well now might be a good time to see if you like this kind of thing or not. If you have 10 days total...8 days onsite and 2 days of travel is a long time to be able to experience the place you’re visiting. I wouldn’t be worried about feeling shortchanged. It’s the trip back that’s gonna suck. But if i were in your shoes I’d try it once to see if it’s worth it to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #33
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I know a few people on here mentioned Grace Bay in Turks which is absolutely gorgeous. I would never stay at an all inclusive there. They have some amazing restaurants. I'm not really an all inclusive type of person. We like to sample the local foods. If you are able to go out and experience the culture, why not? It's always puzzled me how people go visit places & then stay holed up in a resort. To each his own😊

Check out some of the out islands in the Bahamas like Exuma. Very laid back. Between there & Turks you will be hard pressed to find water any more beautiful so close.

I live in New Orleans so very familiar with hurricanes so traveling late Sept you should be ok but there is still a chance.

I love the idea of Europe too but moving around may not be as relaxing to you & that sounds like what you're looking for. We went last year & had the best time. Traveling on the trains makes it so easy to see various places.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #34
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
I haven't read this thread but i suggest bangkok for your honeymoon.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #35
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

i heard one night there makes the hard man humble
Appreciate 1
Alfisti6452.50
      02-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #36
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Costa Rica is beautiful and has AWESOME beaches and great all inclusive resorts.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #37
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
The Maldives is a winner for sure. Stayed at the St. Regis in Vommuli not long after it opened a couple years ago. I don't agree with the comment about being stuck on the island and being bored. We went to relax and completely disconnect, not seeking adventure and to explore. The Maldives is incredibly remote and the feeling is one of tranquility. I've never experienced anything like it. Travel time to get there was a non-issue because it was one stop of many we made throughout Europe, Asia and Africa.
St Regis was definitely something we were looking at for our honeymoon. Honestly after having a taste of the maldives, we def want to go back again at some point. Were you by any chance cross shopping from Four Seasons(kuda and Lada), North Lux, Soneva Jani? What made you choose St Regis?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #38
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
St Regis was definitely something we were looking at for our honeymoon. Honestly after having a taste of the maldives, we def want to go back again at some point. Were you by any chance cross shopping from Four Seasons(kuda and Lada), North Lux, Soneva Jani? What made you choose St Regis?
I didn't cross shop the Four Seasons or the Soneva Jani because they were older properties. I needed a fresh and crispy property. North Lux opened after we vacationed in the Maldives so it wasn't an option. The St. Regis property was a draw because it was new, had first hand knowledge/experience of what to expect from the brand, and since the spend would be significant, I preferred to earn Marriott/SPG points and leverage my status.

Everything about the property was first class from the food to the bungalows to the service to the amenities. It was a great experience and one my wife and I often still talk about.
      02-25-2020, 02:38 PM   #39
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't cross shop the Four Seasons or the Soneva Jani because they were older properties. I needed a fresh and crispy property. North Lux opened after we vacationed in the Maldives so it wasn't an option. The St. Regis property was a draw because it was new, had first hand knowledge/experience of what to expect from the brand, and since the spend would be significant, I preferred to earn Marriott/SPG points and leverage my status.

Everything about the property was first class from the food to the bungalows to the service to the amenities. It was a great experience and one my wife and I often still talk about.
Looks beautiful there, I was just scoping it out. I'm Titanium Elite w/ Marriott, but unfortunately this is a little out of budget. Would earn a ridiculous amount of points here, especially with their credit card.
Appreciate 0