Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing

05-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Any Stas/Quants Here? R

I've been teaching myself the basics of R with R.Studio and Swirl, with the goal of eventually being able to apply it to financial modeling.

There don't seem to be many comprehensive guides out there to get a beginner on the right track. Anyone have some tips or resources?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 02:02 AM   #2
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Wow I've never thought I'd see a post like there here.

But ohh man are you bringing back some bad memories from last semester. I had to teach myself this stuff and it was not a pleasant experience. Certainly doable but it is something that take time to get comfortable at.

This site was my best friend. http://www.statmethods.net/index.html
Any sort of command I wanted to perform was on there. My advice is to start laser focused on a particular type of project you want to perform on R. I found myself being overloaded with information otherwise.
      05-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
Wow I've never thought I'd see a post like there here.

But ohh man are you bringing back some bad memories from last semester. I had to teach myself this stuff and it was not a pleasant experience. Certainly doable but it is something that take time to get comfortable at.

This site was my best friend. http://www.statmethods.net/index.html
Any sort of command I wanted to perform was on there. My advice is to start laser focused on a particular type of project you want to perform on R. I found myself being overloaded with information otherwise.
Right? Lot of intellectual people in OT, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Just concluded the semester last night with a stat final, so I'll have a bit more time to dedicate to it. Thanks for the link; I'll check it out.

Out of curiosity, why did you have to teach yourself R?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
Right? Lot of intellectual people in OT, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Just concluded the semester last night with a stat final, so I'll have a bit more time to dedicate to it. Thanks for the link; I'll check it out.

Out of curiosity, why did you have to teach yourself R?
I do research in social science.
I was running a survey experience and had to do some regression analysis to get if my findings were "statistically significant".

Last edited by ocN55; 05-06-2016 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

I'm more of a web developer and less of a statistician but I'm just starting to learn R and a package that a co-worker found that seems really awesome is called Shiny. It works in conjunction with RStudio.

http://shiny.rstudio.com/

I've been using swirlstats to learn R and R.Studio

http://swirlstats.com/students.html
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
I do research in social science.
I was running a survey experience and had to do some regression analysis to get if my findings were "statistically significant".
Interesting. Might have to re-map career path if a role in the social sciences field can yield that level of garage candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck fat View Post
I'm more of a web developer and less of a statistician but I'm just starting to learn R and a package that a co-worker found that seems really awesome is called Shiny. It works in conjunction with RStudio.

http://shiny.rstudio.com/

I've been using swirlstats to learn R and R.Studio

http://swirlstats.com/students.html
Yeah, I've been using swirl in conjunction with R.Studio as well. I'll check out shiny though - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Through my personal experience over the years... I've left R and gone fully to Python/Pandas/SK-Learn/NumPy/SciPy

pretty much does everything I could want.... and if I ever want R, rpy2 does the trick!
      06-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #8
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
Through my personal experience over the years... I've left R and gone fully to Python/Pandas/SK-Learn/NumPy/SciPy

pretty much does everything I could want.... and if I ever want R, rpy2 does the trick!
I actually set R on the back burner, and moved into Python, as it seems to serve as a better foundation. Just completed the interactive Python course on codecademy.com, and am about to dive into the quantstart algo trading ebook. Very excited
Appreciate 0