Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

10-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
sparrow123
Registered
Rep
Drives: honda

Smoking and Children

Teenage smoking is an arising concern. About 90% of adult smokers started smoking as kids. Every day more than 3900 kids become regular smokers. The best way out is to make kids realize the dangers of smoking. Giving kids proper information about the risks of smoking and chewing tobacco and establishing clear rules and the reasons for them may prevent them from smoking.

Nicotine in cigarette is the most dangerous substance. It is known to be as addictive as cocaine and heroine. Nicotine alters mood and affects heart, lungs, stomach and the nervous system. The short term effects of smoking are coughing and throat irritation. Over some time, one may develop increased heart rate, blood pressure, bronchitis and emphysema.

Kids may be attracted to smoking and chewing tobacco to look cool, act older, lose weight, win cool merchandise, feel independent or to seem tough. It is the responsibility of the parents to keep kids away from trying and getting addicted to tobacco. They should establish a good rapport with their kids to make it easier to work through such situations. Sensitive topics should be discussed in such a way that kids do not fear punishment or judgment. A kid’s positive qualities should be emphasized than negative as this builds up their self confidence. A strong self confidence is very important to fight against peer pressure. Kids should be encouraged to take part in activities that prohibit smoking like sports. Kid’s opinions and ideas should be given importance. One must talk to kids about the dangers of smoking and make them realize that it is dangerous for their body. One must give them a patient ear.

Given a little more attention kids can be prevented from getting into this dreaded habit.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

I do thank you for stating the obvious.
      10-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Strong first post.

Kids will experiment till the end of time. Some will choose to smoke, some will not.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
305M3
305M3
Cuba
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Love cigarettes... especially the after sex, after drink, and after dinner ones. In that order of course.
      10-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Dear Uneducated Sparrow,

If you understood the addiction pathway of the ventral tegmental area of the brain, you'd understand that the substance nicotine is not what these people crave. It's the outpouring of dopamine that occurs when they get positive feedback from all of the habits that are created from smoking - such as flicking a lighter, packing down a pack of cigarettes, bringing it up to the lips, etc.

If nicotine is so dangerous, how come people don't die from Nicotine Withdrawal? How come the most common & most effective way to quit is cold turkey?

Want to talk about some dangerous drugs, talk to me about Alcohol & Heroin. And heroin doesn't have an e at the end knucklehead. And no it's not more addictive, or even close to as addictive. If it was, you'd see people trying to smoke PACKS of cigarettes at a time to just get the same buzz that their FIRST cigarette gave them. That's why heroin addicts require high dose opiate receptor binding narcotics to ease their addiction - they're always chasing for that first high that they can never get back.

I sure hope their rant made them feel better about themselves... it sure makes me feel good about myself.

Want to make generalizations, that's great. At least make some sense of them.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
Mindgame
Poke Her Face
Rep
Drives: 09 135I

Smokings bad mkay

Serves absolutely no purpose. I hope to see it made illegal while i'm still alive.
      10-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Actually the immediate effects of smoking are an increased ability to learn and increased concentration from the stimulation of the nicotinic receptors within your brain.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Actually the immediate effects of smoking are an increased ability to learn and increased concentration from the stimulation of the nicotinic receptors within your brain.

You're exactly right. Unfortunately the duration is quite short.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgame View Post
Smokings bad mkay

Serves absolutely no purpose. I hope to see it made illegal while i'm still alive.
I hope they limit horsepower in cars before I die. The extra power serves no purpose.

Your post is a fail!

Last edited by Cookiemonster; 10-08-2010 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
I hope they limit horsepower in cars before I die. The extra power serves no purpose.

Your post is a fail!
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Mindgame
Poke Her Face
Rep
Drives: 09 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post

Your post is a fail!
You mad?
      01-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 iX

2011 535 iX lemoned
Appreciate 0