BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

10-22-2019, 03:09 AM   #1
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Currently Audi E-Tron GT

Living with the i8

Just on the edge of pushing the button on a 2016 silver i8 with 15k on the clock.
But I'm coming from a VERY different car: Mercedes E400 coupe, so had a couple of fairly predictable questions for those who've lived with the car for a while.

1) (This is the big one.) I know there isn't sensibly room in the back for adults (at least those with heads or legs) but how is it for kids? I have a seven year old. Will he be able to sit in the back with the front passenger seat still usable in any meaningful way? And does the wide cill make getting kids into the back much harder?

2) I know the ride has to be firm in a car like this, but does it get tiring over poor road surfaces? (I'm spoiled at the moment as my current car floats over everything when the air suspension is set to Comfort.)

3) Now that the i8 has been around for 5 years, are people more used to seeing them on the roads? Or do they still attract a lot of attention? I ask because I've always been in love with the shape of the car but wouldn't want to come across as attention seeking or trying too hard!

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #2
MajorJump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Hi there...

1) I have 3 kids, 13, 9 and 7. All fit quite comfortably in all seats in the car. The main issue with space in the back is actually headroom, so in my experience kids are fine, adults do fit, but only with a cricked neck. So you'll have a good few years before your 7 year old outgrows it. If you were strapping a baby into the back seat the cill might prove a pain, but a 7 year old will he able to hop in and out easy enough.

2) The road to my house is terrible. It's an old farm track and for various complicated reasons it's not possible to resurface that. If the i8 can handle that (carefully) it can handle anything. No issue with speed bumps, car park ramps etc etc. Don't dive down potholes at speed and you'll be fine.

3) Attention. You're not going to avoid that really. People don't tend to hear it coming unlike other cars I've owned previously. But you will get comments when parked, particularly when people see the doors. You'll also get the odd head nod/thumbs up whilst driving. It's not too much though, and I wouldn't say it was a negative.

I've had mine 2 years now and I've not looked back. It was a great choice. I need a 4 seater, and there was nothing else out that which ticket all the boxes.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #3
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Major

Thank you so much for your thorough reply.
So helpful, and definitely pushed me a few inches closer to pushing the button!

Do you have childseats in the back? And if so any you'd recommend as I doubt the one I have in the back of my Merc will fit..

One more question if I may!..
How often in normal use do you end up unable to get into the car as someone's parked too close to get the door open?

Many thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #4
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

I have 3y/o and 5 months Boy. Both fit in there. Pic is the older one at age 1.5. Got always in with no problems.
Yes the car attracts, but in a very good way. Lots of people started talking, but always friendly. For me theres a huge difference to the Porsche GT3, I owned before. There 50% hated me because I drive such a car. Not at all with the i8. At least it's like that, over here in Switzerland.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      10-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you Nachbar.
That's very cute!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

My sons are 6'2" - 6'4". They sit sideways. My friend who is 5'7" fits nicely; but she prefers to sit in the front... My dogs are happy in the back, but I need to lift my old (14.5 yrs) one in, which is awkward. And I need a seatcover that protects everything -- have not found one yet. Hatch trunk barely fits a roll-aboard or a couple bags of groceries. If I did not have a SUV I would get a Seasucker rack for sure.

I too was concerned about attention. Everyday stuff is all positive: you get lots of well-intentioned compliments. My issue was worrying about my work environment, not wanting to appear flamboyant. But I am committed to commuting by bicycle or electric, and the i8 is perfect for that. Takes a fair bit of self-confidence to own a car like this. You just have to not worry about what you think others might be thinking about you and enjoy the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Louv300.50
      10-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #7
MajorJump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSurrey View Post
Major

Thank you so much for your thorough reply.
So helpful, and definitely pushed me a few inches closer to pushing the button!

Do you have childseats in the back? And if so any you'd recommend as I doubt the one I have in the back of my Merc will fit..

One more question if I may!..
How often in normal use do you end up unable to get into the car as someone's parked too close to get the door open?

Many thanks again!
I've just used booster cushions in the rear, but if I was able to find a seat to fit in my Jaguar XKR then I expect you can find one to fit in this.

I've not had a problem with the door, but that is probably due in part to luck and also tactical parking. I was always careful with parking, but even more so now - keep a watchful eye for end spaces!

I'm more worried about it being keyed as it's so eye catching, thankfully not had anything like that so far.

I came out of the shop last week with my 9 year old and there was a group of teenagers on their knees bowing to the car. That totally freaked out my son, but I found it amusing!

All other attention has been pretty positive too. Mostly comments like "nice car". A few "how big an engine has it got?" Which often leads to confusion if I answer honestly. You quite often catch people taking photos too. You will get a fair few people wanting to race, but no more than any other sporty number in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #8
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorJump View Post
I've just used booster cushions in the rear, but if I was able to find a seat to fit in my Jaguar XKR then I expect you can find one to fit in this.

I've not had a problem with the door, but that is probably due in part to luck and also tactical parking. I was always careful with parking, but even more so now - keep a watchful eye for end spaces!

I'm more worried about it being keyed as it's so eye catching, thankfully not had anything like that so far.

I came out of the shop last week with my 9 year old and there was a group of teenagers on their knees bowing to the car. That totally freaked out my son, but I found it amusing!

All other attention has been pretty positive too. Mostly comments like "nice car". A few "how big an engine has it got?" Which often leads to confusion if I answer honestly. You quite often catch people taking photos too. You will get a fair few people wanting to race, but no more than any other sporty number in my opinion.
More or less the same for me... been unable to get in only once in 12 months ownership when someone parked too close, but it was 30 minute parking outside a coffee shop on a sunny day so I just sat outside with a coffee and waited in the sunshine! I have just added an additional year warranty just in case.

I too look for end spaces! I did try to park in an NCP car park in Nottingham once and although I was able to get the car into two individual spaces, I couldn’t get out either time and by the time I got back down (high kerbs and tight corners) my tIme limit had expired so I had to pay £5 to get out! I did write to NCP and was refunded this money!

Lots of attention, again worried about keying but no one has ever done this to my car at least. Boy racers do try it on but I don’t bite, well, I did once when a young stallion revved his standard Civic at the lights. I let him go and then just sailed past him. Wrong but enjoyable! He did flash an acknowledgement.

Was thinking of changing the car recently but in all honesty, I can’t think of a better car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 05:14 PM   #9
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

I so appreciate all these helpful answers. Thank you all.
Thinking I might be posting pics of a new acquisition here shortly...
:- )
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #10
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

The two times someone parked to close, I rolled down the windows with the keyfob (long press the open button) then I got in through the window very easy (tried this in the beginning with a test car). I'm 1.65m athletic posture.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #11
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, I suppose in such a low car the windows will also be quite low!
Just a shame they have that bit of glass sticking up even when fully lowered!
Can't imagine that makes climbing in any easier!

Another question (while you're all being so helpful!):

It's quite a wide car, and wider at the rear than the front. Is this a challenge when navigating width restrictions (posts etc)?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #12
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
J

1) (This is the big one.) I know there isn't sensibly room in the back for adults (at least those with heads or legs) but how is it for kids? I have a seven year old. Will he be able to sit in the back with the front passenger seat still usable in any meaningful way? And does the wide cill make getting kids into the back much harder?

2) I know the ride has to be firm in a car like this, but does it get tiring over poor road surfaces? (I'm spoiled at the moment as my current car floats over everything when the air suspension is set to Comfort.)

3) Now that the i8 has been around for 5 years, are people more used to seeing them on the roads? Or do they still attract a lot of attention? I ask because I've always been in love with the shape of the car but wouldn't want to come across as attention seeking or trying too hard!

Many thanks!
1. Don't know, but I suspect the back seat will have children up to young teens. My "kids" are adults and left home by the time I bought my i8. Oddly enough, losing fiscal responsibility over them coincided with my ability to buy an i8. Hmmm.

2. It's pretty good in comfort mode -- even sport mode -- over the rubbish roads that our local government fleeces me for.

3. Yes, it still gets attention. You get used to it. Occasionally I get what I call "the flock" of cars around you on dual carriageways. This is cars all around you going at your speed all having a peek. I've had some people flip the bird, but I'd say 95% of people love the look of the car as well and you get many thumbs up.

It's a great daily and comfortable enough to be a GT.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:27 PM   #13
A5HLEY
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

My kids are 6 and 8 and fit well. The 6 year old uses a booster seat so the front seat does have to be a bit further up b/c her feet don't sit on the floor under the passenger seat like the 8 year olds. I also removed the factory "seats" which are essentially just pads that sit on the carpeted floor and firewall and placed the booster directly on the 'carpet'. They are thin plastic frames clad in leather that clip in. They are delicate and the clips break easily, but they do come out. My 8 year old doesn't need a booster because the rear seats are shallower than a conventional car so the seat belt passes correctly over his shoulder. I hope that all makes sense?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 11:04 PM   #14
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

I’ll echo what others have said about the rear seats. I have seen many reviews where the reviewer has declared that the rear seats are useless, a joke even. That just ain’t so. My 5’ 2” wife fits easily though the seat angle bothers her after about an hour. My 5’ 5” daughter has also been in the back seat for shorter rides. It’s certainly not desirable for any distance for adults but kids would have no problem. The fact that there is a back seat at all was one of the main reasons I bought the car. Needless to say, the seats add valuable storage space as well.

Ride is on the firm side but not uncomfortable at all.

Attention - yep. All the comments I have received have been positive. Even 5 years in people are still smitten by the i8’s looks and intrigued by the the powertrain. It is a unique automobile.

Last edited by MichaelJohn; 10-22-2019 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:37 AM   #15
JCSurrey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you all for the replies.
Really helpful!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #16
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

It's very easy. And there's a ridge on the roof, where you can have a grip.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #17
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:

It's quite a wide car, and wider at the rear than the front. Is this a challenge when navigating width restrictions (posts etc)?
Yes, it is very wide, which can be a problem. It is also not easy to place on the road due to "average" front vision out, and terribly thick A pillars.

Can be annoying on narrow Kent countryside roads.
Appreciate 1