BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-29-2016, 02:01 AM   #1
Arobotbrain
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Drivetrain error, should I worry?

Had a drivetrain error this morning with the message saying that the engine cannot anymore be turned on after switching it off. Drove for about 20 minutes, turned it off and was able to turn it on again. Error log shows now malfunction. It is, as if the problem never existed. Should I be worrying or was this more like a software glitch?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 02:45 AM   #2
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arobotbrain View Post
Had a drivetrain error this morning with the message saying that the engine cannot anymore be turned on after switching it off. Drove for about 20 minutes, turned it off and was able to turn it on again. Error log shows now malfunction. It is, as if the problem never existed. Should I be worrying or was this more like a software glitch?
I had this message 3 or 4 times, but it restarted fine and cleared every time.

I didn't bother booking it in just for that but I asked BMW to investigate it when I booked it in to receive my display/smart key. They looked into it (probably did a software update) and it hasn't happened since.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 03:14 AM   #3
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I have read that at least one of the forum members had seen that message and dealership had to replace the module because of starting failure of the car .
Hope,yours never poses a trouble like that
      09-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
Arobotbrain
Private
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
I have read that at least one of the forum members had seen that message and dealership had to replace the module because of starting failure of the car .
Hope,yours never poses a trouble like that
Thanks, I saw this message and error was slightly different. Anyhow, hope too that this does not get any worse.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
Arobotbrain
Private
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
I had this message 3 or 4 times, but it restarted fine and cleared every time.

I didn't bother booking it in just for that but I asked BMW to investigate it when I booked it in to receive my display/smart key. They looked into it (probably did a software update) and it hasn't happened since.
Thanks, will adopt the same strategy.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
comrie
Rep
Drives: 2017 i8 silver

hi,

just joined the forum.....unfortunately my car came up with the drive-train error this weekend plus additional errors on the re gen braking...pedestrian sensor....plus it would not shift out off park.....called bmw who arranged a recovery for the next day...luckily the next day it would let me put it in drive so getting on the recovery truck was easier than anticipated....just got a call from the dealer who says it has an eme fault ...so that needs to be replaced, the part is on back order and is a 14 hour job to fit.....this is a 2016 May build car.....not to happy.

stv
Appreciate 1
mirms0.00
      10-02-2016, 03:57 AM   #7
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
"Drivetrain error" seems to be a rather broad error classification on the i8. Some people's cars seem to snap right out of it on restart. Others (like mine, twice) become completely immobilized. Mine hasn't caused any trouble anymore over the last 17'000 km, after they did software updates and replaced a gearbox sensor. Knock on wood. But if I ever get such a message again, it's straight into the shop. Not taking any chances.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 06:01 PM   #8
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
See if it was similar to my error. Got it fixed last week. Dealer had to install a wiring harness.

http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1304221

The error would tell me that the car wouldn't be able to be restarted (even though, it restarted just fine...every time).

The error would also show a regenerative braking malfunction.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:28 PM   #9
murthy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 Protonic Red

Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum.
I had this 'Drivetrain fault' 2 days ago! I couldnt drive. It would start but kept going back to 'Parking' and 'P' kept flashing. Multiple attempts with different keys didnt help.

It had to be towed to BMW dealer. Hope nothing major. It is good that it is under warranty still.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #10
eswimm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
See if it was similar to my error. Got it fixed last week. Dealer had to install a wiring harness.

http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1304221

The error would tell me that the car wouldn't be able to be restarted (even though, it restarted just fine...every time).

The error would also show a regenerative braking malfunction.
Interesting, exact same combination of alerts I've had pop up a few times. They've tried software and 12V replacement, but keeps coming back. Any supporting data on the work order that might be useful steering my dealer to a solution?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #11
Juuso
Registered
Rep
Drives: I8

I also got couple of months ago first drivetrain error and RBS faulty messages with "cant restart engine after shut down". Gladly message went of everytime I restart car again. Couple of weeks ago message start come almost everytime I drove, so took it to BMW. They change "REM" wiring (regenerative braking wiring) and update software after that. whole cost was less than 1000€. Part cost 70€ and rest was coding, faulty finding, software, etc etc and 2h real work.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 03:56 AM   #12
talal.eladaoui@hotmail.co
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 523i F10 2010

Drivetrain BMW F10 523i

Sometimes when I start the car early in the morning the car vibrates a little and the message appears with the drivetrain `` Full performance not available ''. I turned it off and then start the car again, and it is completely gone. Should I be anxious or do something?

Note that I checked before and changed one of the coils!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #13
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

any of these 2019 or later MY cars are these are mostly pre-LCI?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 07:04 AM   #14
midenginetoys
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2015

Hey i8'ers, also new to this forum. Had that "drive train" issue/message and car would not go into Sport mode, noticed that it popped up after I gave it a wash. I've had the 2015 for 4+ years, wash it every week without any issues. Popped the hood open, dried off any excess water I saw, plugged it in and didn't drive it for a day. Started up fine, message popped up, put it in Sport mode (it allowed me), message went away and hasn't come back (-:
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 11:38 AM   #15
califorbmw
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the battery. There is an article named "BMW Drivetrain Malfunction Drive Moderately Problem by Youcanic" that explains this error very well.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #16
mirms
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW I3

Drivetrain Malfunction Error /Compressor

Hi got the message back in August after I charged it in a fast charge station (wondering if that caused the problem btw)took them a month to fix , parts were back order it was the compressor that failed and sent metal particles in the a/c system cost was over 11000$ / 14 hour job too but luckily was covered by extended warranty
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 06:17 AM   #17
suddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2018

DriveTrain error

2 weeks back my car(BMW X1 2018 xDrive) broke down on motorway saying drivetrain error. RAC confirmed that its a transmission issue and need to take car to garage. I searched for a local BMW expert(not the BMW dealership) and tow'ed the car there. Garage said - whole transmission needs to change and it will cost me 5 figure sum.
Panicked I brought my car back and took an appointment from BMW dealer from whom I bought the car and they said - "Its a software problem" and they re-installed the original BMW software to company setting and problem got resolved.
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1045.50
      08-06-2023, 04:58 PM   #18
tommyb13662
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

This was the error code I received when the high voltage system in my i8 died. The cells and also a battery protection module were fried. They replaced the battery and the in battery box wiring under warranty. All the hud said was drivetrain error do not turn off will not restart.
Appreciate 0