BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-22-2017, 05:52 AM   #23
Emon Crew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' crystal white i8

slightly off topic here, but i figured I'd ask since you seem to know your way around the car OP... is there a way to get the front A pillars inside the car off? I ask because Im running wires for my radar and dashcam by trying to tuck them into that area but they both don't fit simply by tucking. Is it similar to the rear dash pillar where the airbag plastic piece pops out and a torx screw is removed?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 08:11 AM   #24
IdTamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 Pure Impulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emon Crew View Post
slightly off topic here, but i figured I'd ask since you seem to know your way around the car OP... is there a way to get the front A pillars inside the car off? I ask because Im running wires for my radar and dashcam by trying to tuck them into that area but they both don't fit simply by tucking. Is it similar to the rear dash pillar where the airbag plastic piece pops out and a torx screw is removed?
I have never tried to remove them, but if you find a way please post a DIY for the rest of of us!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #25
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Just installed mine.... it took just over 2 hours. Nice bit of kit indeed

Many thanks to the OP for this set of instructions. Seeing your explanation of how to get the power cable through to the main cabin would have taken me a lot longer without your guidance
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #26
IdTamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

You are very welcome! Glad I could help
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #27
HondoMac
Rep
Drives: i8 WannaBe

Nice to see some DIY stuff happening with the i8..even if it's just for a better fake exhaust note.
      07-29-2017, 01:11 PM   #28
mmx3se
Registered
United_States
Rep

Hello IdTamer, the pictures seems to have broken link. Would it be possible for you to send the pictures to me?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #29
mmx3se
Registered
United_States
Rep

Hello, may I have the pictures of your installation? I think the picture links are no longer active.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 10:02 PM   #30
Emon Crew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' crystal white i8

Shoot. This is an excellent thread, I was planning on using it once I ordered my sound booster. Is there a way to fix the broken links and upload the attachments on a different server?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 05:11 AM   #31
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The actual maxhaust instructions are pretty good themselves. The OPs photos were also useful... especially the ones that showed the best way to route the power cable to the front cabin but you should be able to install this with relative ease following the maxhaust instructions.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #32
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Photobucket has a lot to answer for Broken image links all over the web, including mine.

They should have grandfathered old links/images.

Suggest people switch to Flickr or elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 05:33 AM   #33
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Photobucket has a lot to answer for Broken image links all over the web, including mine.

They should have grandfathered old links/images.

Suggest people switch to Flickr or elsewhere.
It's poor isn't it!!

On the instructions in this thread some can be viewed if you press on the photo box picture.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #34
mahnm2047
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Maxhaust BMW i8 picture wise Detailed Instructions requested please

Dear IdTamer,

I have seen your hard work in putting together the detailed step wise instructions for installing the kit. Unfortunately, I am unable to see the pictures and is asking me for 3rd party upgrade.
Could you please do huge favor for me by sending those pictures on my email address or some other way, as I am really really struggling with installation.
My email address is frazsaeed01@gmail.com.

Thank you so very much in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #35
IdTamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Oops, I hate photobucket! I will work on uploading the pictures here.

BTW, this car (with kit installed) is now available as a lease takeover. PM me for details
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #36
Lintrix
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdTamer View Post
Oops, I hate photobucket! I will work on uploading the pictures here.

BTW, this car (with kit installed) is now available as a lease takeover. PM me for details
Were you able to recover the photos so you can upload it to a different host? =)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #37
chrisfc923
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 MBB X5MC

Hi is there an archived post showing the install? Looking at ordering this kit.

Also is this the all in kit? Would I need anything else outside of whats in this listing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152910771528?ul_noapp=true

Last edited by chrisfc923; 04-02-2018 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #38
chrisfc923
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 MBB X5MC

So just installed and did one thing different. The first problem that I think all will run into is that the power wires going into the blue plug for the maserati module just do not work. I did the same as the OP and cut the power lines on both end of the blue plugs and connected them manually. I didn't solder it but used those crimp-less plugs. Now for the change I made, I ran the wires in the cabin going up through the door rubber strip on top instead of on the bottom. They fit perfectly and will run down into the fuse. Taking everything apart was a bitch and no matter how careful I was I did break a few tabs here and there, and the interior airbag column and the speaker panel was a PIA to put back. But all in all it was worth it and I do love the sound it makes. Does it sound real? To the people that don't know its fake it does. To us, you can tell its more digital than anything. To those still looking to do it, good news is that the OP's pictures still work. You need to access the links on your iphone though. Weird but works.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 03:21 AM   #39
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I also suffered an issue with the blue connectors where I had an intermittent connection. Once I replaced that connector, it all worked fine and I have had no issues over the past year.

Fortunately I didn't suffer any broken clips, but I also chose a different routing for my power cable back to the fuse box (partially inside the rubber door seal, but took the lower route and went across the door sill since my Blackvue cabling uses the door's rubber strip at the top).
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #40
orion1977
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 i8 & '14 328i

I just bought the Maxhaust. Whar warranty concerns- if any - should I have before installing it?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #41
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1977 View Post
I just bought the Maxhaust. Whar warranty concerns- if any - should I have before installing it?
I personally don't think there are really any concerns. Effectively all you are doing is disconnecting the connections to the external speaker from the BMW amp and connecting them through the Maxhaust equipment. I can't see how there would be real warranty issue.

If the BMW amp had a fault at some point in the future, personally I would just remove the Maxhaust equipment and reconnect back through the BMW amp before taking it into the dealer (to avoid any finger pointing as to what may have caused the issue).

Additionally, if you are concerned you can always mute the Maxhaust via the app before taking it in for service at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #42
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

I'm considering the Maxhaust for my 2019 i8 Roadster. The BMW delivery agent at the Welt says the sound has been "greatly improved" over the previous generations but I'm still considering some augmentation.

I sent a couple of questions to Michael in Romania (based on links in this forum) but he has not replied. I'm wondering if anyone here can provide some insight...

1. Anyone know if the kit will work with the 2019's

2. I understand that the kit from Michael/Romania has an additional or modified cable/connector. Can anyone be more specific?

3. Any reason why folks are fishing wire all the way back from the fuse panel and not installing a FUSED link directly from the 12v battery lead or hot lead on the ICE starter solenoid? Seems this would be a shorter/easier run. The ICE is in the back of the car so I expect the starter solenoid, and likely the 12v battery, are also there. Anyone know specifically where the 12v battery is located? (...most PHEV's also have a dedicated 12V battery) I don't relish trying to find a route from the fuse panel to the trunk on the Roadster...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #43
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

The battery is located in the front under the front hood where most of the electrical components are and that hood isn’t very easy to open and keep open, especially for one person. I think the main issue with not wiring it to the ICE starter is the fact that the car starts in electric mode and the ICE is off until you turn on sport mode or accelerate fast enough in comfort mode. Most people that have Maxhaust probably would want it active while in comfort mode (the idle noise is decent), and you wouldn’t get that on startup if it was tied to the ICE.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #44
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance View Post
The battery is located in the front under the front hood where most of the electrical components are and that hood isn’t very easy to open and keep open, especially for one person. I think the main issue with not wiring it to the ICE starter is the fact that the car starts in electric mode and the ICE is off until you turn on sport mode or accelerate fast enough in comfort mode. Most people that have Maxhaust probably would want it active while in comfort mode (the idle noise is decent), and you wouldn’t get that on startup if it was tied to the ICE.
Yes, but typically the starter solenoid has a hot connection directly from the battery. The solenoid also has a circuit to trigger its operation, but the hot lead is a heavy gauge, always hot, connection directly to the battery. That is usually a good place to tap an "always on" power source...
Appreciate 0