United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Not too bad for 1500cc

Last edited by Coastali8; 03-11-2020 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 03:05 AM   #2
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Good that ZR-630-D, the license plate of this criminal playing with his mobile phone at 180 km/h, is clearly visible in the video...

Yes, the i8 is impressive 0-200 on the track. No this is no experienced, responsible driver. This doesn't belong on public roads and in Germany, use of mobile phones while driving is heavily penalised. Please drive like an idiot in the Netherlands.

Last edited by Leto1701; 04-02-2020 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
Good that ZR-630-D, the license plate of this criminal playing with his mobile phone at 180 km/h, is clearly visible in the video.

Yes, the i8 is impressive 0-200 on the track. No this is no experienced, responsible driver. This doesn't belong on public roads and in Germany, use of mobile phones while driving is heavily penalised. Please drive like an idiot in the Netherlands.
he's clearly recording this with a head cam, not a mobile phone, get over it and if you dont like your nations de restricted highways tackle your own government you dull person!
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1838.50
      03-14-2020, 06:58 AM   #4
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
he's clearly recording this with a head cam, not a mobile phone, get over it and if you dont like your nations de restricted highways tackle your own government you dull person!
Reaching over and operating the phone on the left of the steering wheel ist clearly visible several times, is it not? At 180 km/h eyes of the road and one hand on the wheel. I am surprised that this is not clear to everyone as stupid. But it is clearly breaking the law for a reason.

Last edited by Leto1701; 03-14-2020 at 07:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
the.i8
Rep
Drives: Bmw i8

Quote:
Reaching over and operating the phone on the left of the steering wheel ist clearly visible several times, is it not? At 180 km/h eyes of the road and one hand on the wheel. I am surprised that this is not clear to everyone as stupid. But it is clearly breaking the law for a reason.
I won't decide if it was smart of him to do or not. but it's basically the same as operating your infotainment (idrive) system which is perfectly fine to do.

It is true that you are not allowed to operate a phone in your hand while driving. But the law is not specific about using a phone in a phone holder. So he is basically doing nothing illegal. You could say it's in a grey area.
Abs. 1 a der Straßenverkehrsordnung.
(This was 6 years ago,maybe the laws in germany changed.)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.i8 View Post
I won't decide if it was smart of him to do or not. but it's basically the same as operating your infotainment (idrive) system which is perfectly fine to do.

It is true that you are not allowed to operate a phone in your hand while driving. But the law is not specific about using a phone in a phone holder. So he is basically doing nothing illegal. You could say it's in a grey area.
Abs. 1 a der Straßenverkehrsordnung.
(This was 6 years ago,maybe the laws in germany changed.)
It's actually not. All operation of a mobile, including touching it to accept a call, etc. is forbidden. It makes no difference if it is in a holder. You must not touch it for changing a navigational setting, read an SMS, etc. Of course people tested the limits, so there a several OLG rulings on many ways to operate.

The only thing that is allowed is voice controlled or automatic accepting of a call if using a speaker, no headphones.

What is in this video is illegal, and for a good reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #7
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
It's actually not. All operation of a mobile, including touching it to accept a call, etc. is forbidden. It makes no difference if it is in a holder. You must not touch it for changing a navigational setting, read an SMS, etc. Of course people tested the limits, so there a several OLG rulings on many ways to operate.

The only thing that is allowed is voice controlled or automatic accepting of a call if using a speaker, no headphones.

What is in this video is illegal, and for a good reason.
But it's ok to play with your built in sat nav/music system etc at 170 mph?
Appreciate 1
the.i81.50
      04-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #8
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
As the OP of this thread my intent was to illustrate how well the i8 performed with a tiny 1500cc engine and what a great accomplishment of BMW engineering it was.
A 0-60 time around 4 seconds and a regulated top speed of 155 mph all while averaging 35-45mpg without the range anxiety of an “all electric “ is to me a special vehicle.

All of you Weenies talking about how illegal the video is or isn’t are missing the point.
Besides.... what’s the old saying? Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Last edited by Coastali8; 04-25-2020 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #9
the.i8
Rep
Drives: Bmw i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post
As the OP of this thread my intent was to illustrate how well the i8 performed with a tiny 1500cc engine and what a great accomplishment of BMW engineering it was.
A 0-60 time around 4 seconds and a regulated top speed of 155 mph all while averaging 35-45mpg without the range anxiety of an “all electric “ is to me a special vehicle.

All of you Weenies talking about how illegal the video is or isn’t are missing the point.
Besides.... what’s the old saying? Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.
Yes you are right. OP started this topic to showcase the cars speed that's coming from a 1.5L engine. Sometimes I still can't believe that it's so fast and pulls straight to >200km/h when flooring mine.
Appreciate 1
Coastali8125.50
      04-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #10
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Good that ZR-630-D, the license plate of this criminal playing with his mobile phone at 180 km/h, is clearly visible in the video...

The guys who make these videos are highly experienced on the Autobahn. They regularly go well over 200mph. Sounds like you need to log off the forums for a while and go lay down somewhere.
      04-27-2020, 02:04 AM   #11
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
But it's ok to play with your built in sat nav/music system etc at 170 mph?
Yes. Because the built in system are designed and are approved for use while driving. Most disable some functions in motion. Is this always fact based? No. Is it the law? Yes!

If the first person you know has been killed in an accident because a nutjob was fiddling around on his/her mobile instead of using the undersized brain for driving you will stop arguing right away, believe me.

I can't believe this is a discussion at all. I would have expected from a responsible community to respond: "We don't agree with such behavior and won't spread videos like that to not motivate people to do that again".

Last edited by Leto1701; 04-27-2020 at 02:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #12
PeaceWalker87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC/E70 X5 35i/E39 530i

Quote:
Yes. Because the built in system are designed and are approved for use while driving. Most disable some functions in motion. Is this always fact based? No. Is it the law? Yes!

If the first person you know has been killed in an accident because a nutjob was fiddling around on his/her mobile instead of using the undersized brain for driving you will stop arguing right away, believe me.

I can't believe this is a discussion at all. I would have expected from a responsible community to respond: "We don't agree with such behavior and won't spread videos like that to not motivate people to do that again".
This guy is DEF a German.. holi cow. Dude, drop it. The forum isn't made to police people, nor are we here to make judgements on what people do or don't do.. the post is about one thing, but you feel like being a "responsible citizen" allows you to be toxic and poison the topic.

There are forums out there for your kind of fitments, go there..

OP my brother had a tuned i8 and i still feel that car pulled harder then my mildly tuned F80.. these cars are incredible. im in the market for one, hoping that someone would like a trade for my F80 + cash on my end.
      05-07-2020, 04:18 PM   #13
Michael S.
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, 650M sport, 230i, DB9

I agree with previous post, although in all seriousness nobody should be doing 180km and playing with their idrive either..... Just my 2 cents, maybe Am getting old. ��
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2023, 01:57 AM   #14
billy.gif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry for this old post but clearly peoples at the States doesn't have a clue what kind of driving environment is such where peoples are regularly doing 120-180mph.

In the US it may be cool to drive middle of night in Texas 100-120mph - wooowh - but at the Autobahns everyone is doing it, and much faster speeds, 24/7. Even "soccermoms" and pensioners with their diesel engine family wagons.

Therefore its way way way more dangerous to use any kind of infotainment / entertainment / mobile phone functions while doing such speeds. Than any of the US guys can ever imagine as almost no one over the States has never ever driven in such environment - and never will...

I totally agree with Leto1707. That's ***** stupid what these AutotopNL guys are doing, almost in every single video of theirs.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 11:30 AM   #15
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Not much of a point to this argument. I will note, however, that many of the folks here on Bimmerpost have lived and driven in many countries. >250 kph things happen fast, and require full attention. In my experience driving fast on the autobahns is much safer than driving in Texas, because most drivers in Germany are experienced, careful drivers who look in their rear view mirrors and move out of the passing lane. And the highways are much better designed for high speeds. And you don't have to dodge armadillos...

The driver in the video does demonstrate how to best enter the i8.
Appreciate 0