BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-10-2020, 06:48 AM   #1
JBL1984
England
Rep
Drives: BMW I8

Battery issue // not charging from mains

Hi everyone, newbie here so would love some insight on my 2015, 13,000 miles i8 issue.

Apologies the the length of this.. here's a quick run through.

Car has been idle on drive for 6 or so weeks (lock down in UK) Not on charge though as I wasn't using it.

Received an email from 'connected drive' at BMW on June 5th advising if the vehicle has been left for a prolonged period to charge it.

I went to charge it and yep, doesn't charge anymore.

I get the error "mains power too low" and just a spinning disc on the dash (pictures attached, apologies for the dust!).

I spoke to BMW assist who advised I drive to a service station where they have chargers with a higher voltage output so see if this jump starts the charging procedure.. did that it still wouldn't charge.

Strange thing is in sport mode the battery charges up absolutely fine.. its currently up to 11 miles of electric range but it still will not charge from the mains or a service station.

Has anybody else had this issue or have any experience with BMW when battery/charging issues arise?

I am booked in for July 1st (earliest they could do) and I'm hoping this will come under the battery warranty as the 3 year warranty has lapsed.

I'm sure they will try and say the charger isn't the battery but I would say they are intrinsically connected.. so i'm hoping the fact BMW emailed advising to charge after a prolonged period of being idle, would mean they're aware of potential issues and hopefully its covered.

Really appreciate any feedback or advice, if anyone has questions please let me know.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
Elmar
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 Coupé | Z1 pure blue ..

did you already read this chapter in the manual ?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf i8-Manual.pdf (130.5 KB, 497 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
eswimm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Sounds like a bad charger, which unfortunately isn't a part of the battery. Level 1 or 2 charging is going to go through the car's charger, so not charging off either the OUC or another level 2 points to it. Regen or generation in sport mode wouldn't be going through the charger.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I would drive it in sport until the main is fully charged, then hope a reboot will reset the charger settings. Fill up your petrol while you are at it...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #5
JBL1984
England
Rep

Thank you fro your reply... bad charger is what scares me..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
JBL1984
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I would drive it in sport until the main is fully charged, then hope a reboot will reset the charger settings. Fill up your petrol while you are at it...
Thank you Stressdoc, I will try your idea.. once its fully charged is there anything specific I need to do to initiate the 'reboot'? Or just turning the engine off and on again would do it?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #7
JBL1984
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmar View Post
did you already read this chapter in the manual ?
No I didn't unfortunately read that.. although it does say "if possible".. if it was more important I'd of hoped it would be made more a big deal of.. Because I got the connected drive email saying to charge before driving I'm thinking other people may of had a similar issue during lockdown for them to initiate an email?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #8
eswimm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL1984 View Post
No I didn't unfortunately read that.. although it does say "if possible".. if it was more important I'd of hoped it would be made more a big deal of.. Because I got the connected drive email saying to charge before driving I'm thinking other people may of had a similar issue during lockdown for them to initiate an email?
Parking for a long time unplugged isn't going to kill your charger, but it could potentially destroy your battery and would almost definitely not be covered under battery warranty.

I think your issue and the email are unrelated beyond the fact that even if you had been plugged in, you would have eventually got the low battery warning since your charger isn't working.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 04:02 PM   #9
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
I’m in the UK and never got an email?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 05:27 PM   #10
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I8

If you lucky it might sort itself out. Is this using a wall charger or a 3 pin plug? Maybe try changing the charging rate (buried in the menus somewhere) to Low or a different rate to whatever it’s set to. It might reset something if your lucky.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 02:51 AM   #11
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
I’m in the UK and never got an email?
Me too (UK) and me neither (no email), I suspect that it was an automated message from the car that spotted that it needed a charge. Could be a software issue, I do hope so for your sake, these are complex cars that can get easily confused...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 06:38 AM   #12
JBL1984
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain123 View Post
If you lucky it might sort itself out. Is this using a wall charger or a 3 pin plug? Maybe try changing the charging rate (buried in the menus somewhere) to Low or a different rate to whatever it’s set to. It might reset something if your lucky.
Using a 3 pin plug.. I tried increasing the rate when I went to a service station charge point but havent tried it at home, I will give that go, thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 06:51 AM   #13
JBL1984
England
Rep

Attachment 2335747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
Me too (UK) and me neither (no email), I suspect that it was an automated message from the car that spotted that it needed a charge. Could be a software issue, I do hope so for your sake, these are complex cars that can get easily confused...
Thats a good point.. I forget how clever these cars are and its quite probable the car initiated it... I've attached the email I got..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 01:21 PM   #14
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Using a 3 pin plug.. I tried increasing the rate when I went to a service station charge point but havent tried it at home, I will give that go, thank you
Have you tried a different cable?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 06:17 AM   #15
JBL1984
England
Rep

UPDATE - Early diagnosis is a new charging unit.. which runs at £7500 GBP.. they are in discussion with BMW to see if "anything" else can be done.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #16
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

One idea. Assuming that the high voltage battery was discharged so deeply that a safety in the charging unit kicked in to avoid that there is a fire when trying to charge up again. Assuming again that this safety doesn't check the battery voltage ever again and stays in that safety state until it is actively told charging the high voltage battery is fine again. In that case not a replacement but a full reset, maybe a new setup of the charger would do? I would at least try to completely remove it from any power supply for a hard reset.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #17
re66ell
Rep
Drives: I8

Do you have a BMW extended warranty and is it covered ?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 09:38 AM   #18
JBL1984
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
One idea. Assuming that the high voltage battery was discharged so deeply that a safety in the charging unit kicked in to avoid that there is a fire when trying to charge up again. Assuming again that this safety doesn't check the battery voltage ever again and stays in that safety state until it is actively told charging the high voltage battery is fine again. In that case not a replacement but a full reset, maybe a new setup of the charger would do? I would at least try to completely remove it from any power supply for a hard reset.
Thank you for your suggestion, I will ask them about this possibility today.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #19
JBL1984
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by re66ell View Post
Do you have a BMW extended warranty and is it covered ?
I did not take the extended warranty.. I use the car for maximum 5000 miles a year... keep it in a garage.. its done 13,000 miles in 5 years.. I genuinely thought it would be a waste of money.. of course now it seems like a no brainer. Although as you're right in asking if it would even be covered under the extended warranty. I'm hoping I can link this to the battery warranty (somehow) as that still has time on in.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 08:10 AM   #20
Bugs21
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMWi8

Hi, I've got the exact same problem with my BMWi8. I drove it in sports mode till 9 miles available but plugged in when I got home to find same massage "mains power to low to charge" I have bought a new charger & same issue. Took to neighbours house to charge same issue so not my electricity supply or charger. Please has anyone else got any idea's to help.
Many Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 10:37 AM   #21
Bugs21
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMWi8

Hi, did you ever get your battery charging problem fixed ? I've got the same issue. I bought a new charger but still have the same issue.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #22
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

What year is second car?
Appreciate 0