BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #1
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

See what your engine does while driving

I am in the middle of a project to display the mid-engine. I obtained a salvage metal engine cover, as well as a salvage outer cover, with the plan to cut holes in them so you can see the engine. I recently completed modifying the metal engine cover with a frame, sealant and laminated glass (like a windshield) and took the car out for a test drive. Here's what that mid-engine looks and sounds like when driving around primarily in Sport Mode. Half-way through the video, I switched to manual shift and did a few pulls.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #2
Mr. Body Massage
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, Lotus Elise

That's awesome! Do you have more pictures of the glass cover itself? I think this would be a great idea if we can do some engine dress-up. One easy way would be a billet BMW oil cap, the likes of which are all over Ebay. Another would be a B38 engine cover from another BMW that uses this engine. The covers look much better and are dressed up more. Try BMW part number 8602967.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Yes, if doing this, the engine needs to be made a *lot* prettier.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #4
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Body Massage View Post
That's awesome! Do you have more pictures of the glass cover itself? I think this would be a great idea if we can do some engine dress-up. One easy way would be a billet BMW oil cap, the likes of which are all over Ebay. Another would be a B38 engine cover from another BMW that uses this engine. The covers look much better and are dressed up more. Try BMW part number 8602967.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Yes, if doing this, the engine needs to be made a *lot* prettier.
Thanks. I found a salvage Mini Cooper B38 engine cover but it was too high and just wouldn't fit in that small space, so I returned it. I think the BMW one is going to have the same problem. I just finished carbon fiber skinning the stock acoustic cover for top of the engine, oil cap and the outer cover. I cut a hole in the middle of the outer cover to give a view of the glass. I also just found a salvage i8 air cleaner cover and will carbon skin that as well. All work done is with real carbon fiber sheet and polyester resin. Shots are right after initial wet-out. I need to sand, recoat, etc. This is the first time I'm doing any of this, so it's taking a lot of time to learn as I go. I also have an i3 trunk emblem that I'm going to mount to the acoustic engine cover.

Name:  i8_glass.JPG
Views: 514
Size:  129.4 KB

Name:  i8_oil.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  i8_acoustic.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  105.7 KB

Name:  i8_cover.JPG
Views: 487
Size:  201.4 KB

All parts are either new or salvage, so I can retain all my original equipment and switch between stock and this setup at any time.

I have tons of pics of this project on my instagram: i8.pat

https://www.instagram.com/i8.pat/
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Why would anyone want to see the 3-cyl engine in the i8? Not that this isn't an interesting project...but what you need is a photo of a big fire-breathing V12 under that glass...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Why would anyone want to see the 3-cyl engine in the i8? Not that this isn't an interesting project...but what you need is a photo of a big fire-breathing V12 under that glass...
I agree. Most of the car enthusiasts at Cars and Coffee events ask tons of questions and want to see things, so I've unbuttoned the cover a few times and people say, oh that's ugly. Yep! Looks like the top of the engine has a black eye and it's frowning. Most ugly engine cover in the world. That got me thinking, how could I modify it to actually look appealing, and the ball started rolling down hill after that.
Appreciate 0