BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #1
krokodil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

how much discount would you expect?

UK - looking at a pre - reg roadster and almost all BMW main dealers have them.

on a £80k ish pre reg roadster with delivery miles and std headlamps ( laser lamps being the most expensive option - and i dont want them! - a future liability! ) given the current lockdown situation, I suspect that not too many people are really buying cars at the moment, or are they? - although the dealers tell me other wise ( of course the would! ), what kind of discount would you be pushing for? - cash sale, no trade in, nice and easy for the dealer.

Im finding that they all come up with similiar story that the cars have already been discounted by almost £50k and there isnt any more room for further price negotiation apart from perhaps £400 - £500.

On the other hand, can get 1000 miles, 1.5yr old for £10k less, more or less same spec and add £1k ish to add a years warranty so its level with the pre-reg car.

dunno what to do! summat tells me to go for the 1k miler and save myself £10k. esp in the current climate.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
If you really want a new pre-reg I'd decide how much I want to pay then phone every dealer saying what you want and how much you will pay until one bites. If they don't bite, give them your number and tell them to call you when they are willing to do a deal at that number. I think they are going to be desperate to shift them in a couple of months.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

If you catch them just before the sales target deadline, I’m told always get a good deal so they make their targets. My friend always does this but not sure exactly when or perhaps just before a new reg is out?

I would have thought that they would be way off their targets at the moment. Show your interest then cool off and let them ring you!
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #4
Mr Squarekins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I8

Negotiate the older car but with a full warranty. They will say that it cannot be done. It can, I got them to do it. Plus I got £4k off a £61k car.

It was hard though. Needed two identical cars at different dealers, patience and thick skin.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
krokodil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Squarekins View Post
Negotiate the older car but with a full warranty. They will say that it cannot be done. It can, I got them to do it. Plus I got £4k off a £61k car.

It was hard though. Needed two identical cars at different dealers, patience and thick skin.
I like the idea of a 1K mile car, 1.5yr old and a £10k saving over the pre reg - and its the spec ( wheels ) that I really like. Just not so keen on the mostly white leather interior, much prefer the dark grey leather of the pre - reg, but of course can have everything!.

Its the hard battle of negotiating that I dont like, the sales guy of the pre reg car is very polite, patient and helpful on the phone ( possibly his tactic ? ), the dealer with the older car isnt quite so and almost put out that I dare ask about price negotiation!!!.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 03:18 PM   #6
krokodil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss tone View Post
If you catch them just before the sales target deadline, I’m told always get a good deal so they make their targets. My friend always does this but not sure exactly when or perhaps just before a new reg is out?

I would have thought that they would be way off their targets at the moment. Show your interest then cool off and let them ring you!
Fortunately Iv a friend who is an accountant and has worked for a large car dealer - he said generally the end date of the month is when they need to reach their target by, so the last week of the month, ie, next week is the best time to try secure a good deal.
He s offered a small discount but it was only a few hundred and was nothing that wowed me!. I told him, go to your sales manager ( why dont the sales managers just deal with the client instead of all this tooing and fro-ing! ) and call me back when he has an amazing deal that I just cannot refuse.

I also dropped the hint to him that I am looking at other cars too, so his is not an automatic choice for me - im considering others and he ll need to make an attractive offer in this current climate if he wants to make a deal happen!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
Michael S.
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, 650M sport, 230i, DB9

I actually called my dealer in Fort Lauderdale today and my rep guy who is very trustworthy told my they had close 60 deals the last 10 days, BMW finance is at 1.99% so I would take advantage of it if I was in the market for one. So even if your paying cash your competing with everyone else, to the dealer it doesn't really make a difference weather cash or financed.
Appreciate 0