BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
slides
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335I

Relocating to FL

In a few months here my wife will be starting a new job in the Orlando area which means I need to start looking for one as well. Does anyone have tips on how to go about this aside from randomly applying to jobs online with the hopes of getting noticed?

I have never relocated before so this is all new but exciting since I wont have to deal with negative temperatures and snow.

Background: Mechanical Designer turned Industrial Engineering (just graduated) with 6 years manufacturing experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Keep your head up and expect to not find a job immediately. Eh it's FL. I love it here, year round warmth and sun. Can't beat it.

Learn to love the thunderstorms. They are amazing. You have a lot around you in the Orlando area. Plenty to do and plenty to look forward to.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Have you contacted any recruiters for your field in the area? Get on LinkedIn if not already.

Also, see if you can identify any likely employers in the area and see if you have any contacts with ties to them who can introduce you. If you have a good relationship with your current or past employers you might be surprised to find them willing to assist. Can your wife's employer assist?
      05-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

This will not come as a surprise, but Disney is likely the largest employer of industrial engineers in Orlando. They need lots of them because of all these processes that need to be optimized at the parks. There’s also quite a bit of opportunity in South Florida because a lot of operations/logistics companies have big operations around here, but i’m afraid it might be too far if your wife has to come into an Orlando office every day.

But are you sure you want to come to Florida and live with #floridaman? Those stories...they’re not fake news.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

^ PLUS, Prez Kerr is promising to relocate *ME* there in 2020 . . . .
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 07:08 AM   #6
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Crazy story. I’m an ME turned IE and I just moved to Florida for a new job on the EE side of things. Small world. Even smaller I turned down a job offer in Minneapolis because, well, cold things.

Anyway, I second the use of LinkedIn and Indeed. Big tools there. A lot of recruiting companies may be able to help as well. Disney is probably always going bonkers for new IE guys - especially with some mechanical background. What are you looking to get into? Wanting to tinker with SolidWorks all day? Or are you looking to lean up some processes and workflow?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #7
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

When i moved to Toronto i hit up the governing body of my industry, looked up a list of all the companies in the area and fired off a resume. had a job within 48 hours, still in the same job.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #8
slides
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335I

Great advice, yes I'm very active on LinkedIn, its how I got my current job, if anyone wants to get connected send me a PM. The biggest concern I have is how to go about getting a job out of sate, I have never done this before.

A little background – Mechanical designer for 5 years in Solidworks creating hydraulic pumps, associated piece parts to full system assemblies. Moved into a quality tech position in 2018 as I went back to finish up my bachelors in Industrial Engineering and graduated this month. With my 6+ years background in manufacturing I would prefer to stay that course but also would like to explore the lean sector or industrial engineering side of things.

I grew up in Australia and FL is very similar to where I was raised, afternoon thunderstorms, humidity so high you can almost cut it, and warm winters...when compared to Minnesota haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Create an account on LinkedIn, upload your resume.
Recruiters will contact you, you can do your own job hunting as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slides View Post
Great advice, yes I'm very active on LinkedIn, its how I got my current job, if anyone wants to get connected send me a PM. The biggest concern I have is how to go about getting a job out of sate, I have never done this before.

A little background – Mechanical designer for 5 years in Solidworks creating hydraulic pumps, associated piece parts to full system assemblies. Moved into a quality tech position in 2018 as I went back to finish up my bachelors in Industrial Engineering and graduated this month. With my 6+ years background in manufacturing I would prefer to stay that course but also would like to explore the lean sector or industrial engineering side of things.

I grew up in Australia and FL is very similar to where I was raised, afternoon thunderstorms, humidity so high you can almost cut it, and warm winters...when compared to Minnesota haha.
There is certainly some, but as an FYI, FL is not a major manufacturing state.