Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

10-05-2020, 02:04 AM   #1
Gokart
Rep
Drives: i3

Performance brake pads recommendation

Hi all, has any one replaced the oem brake pads with aftermarket branded pads? Would like to know the options available for i8.

In addition, some online retailers are saying that i8 shares the same stock brake caliper with M2/M3/M4, therefore, all of the M car sized brake pads can fit into i8 as well. Can anyone confirm this? thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
P.K.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Grey BMW i8

Garage List
I found that repeated hard braking from high speed at a track day was not what I wanted. After a frustrating search I ended up with EBC Yellow and am quite happy. Solid stopping power and minimal fade. First few stops cold are reduced response but quickly come to operating range. Many manufacturers offer front pads but then not rear. I wasn't willing to mix brands so EBC. Having said that, I took my old rear pads down to my favourite shop and started opening boxes. There are lots of identical pads. They are not listed because the i8 apparently specs the rear pads at 1 mm less thickness. Knowing this I would simply buy whatever your favourite brand and buy the M3 rear pad and "adjust" if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:17 AM   #3
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I've read on a forum where someone has obtained Porterfield AP1609 and AP1473 pads for the front and rear, but hasn't installed them yet. I'm curious if these would actually work OK before attempting.