BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #1
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora, BMW i8

Purchasing CPO or Preowned+3rd-Party?

Hi all,

It looks like things might go down this weekend for me in getting an i8. Price-wise, my choices are similar. Only thing is, 2016 preowned + 3rd party @ ~15k mileage, or 2016 CPO @ 30k mileage? I've bought a MBenz SLK before at 24k mileage which lasted til 75k without a single issue. I think other bmws should be just as reliable, but I'm not sure how it is with i8s. Has anyone been down this predicament?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
arijaycomet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Generally speaking most owners here don’t have super high miles— but with that said they seem to be no more or less reliable than any other BMW. Which is to say BMW reliability is on par with most other German cars, and trails behind Honda/Toyota. For better, or for worse.

I’ve had a few CPO BMW/Audi vehicles, and in the case of the BMW i8, do think the CPO has some added benefit. However, 3rd party warranties can also be had. Does the 3rd party car offer such a warranty? Might be worth a shot?

In my ownership (currently on my 3rd i8, a 2016 CPO)— each car had at least a few warranty things occur around 20-25k miles (faulty sensor, door shocks needed replaced, etc)— nothing that stranded me, but stuff that could add up over time if not free.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:30 AM   #3
MTI8
Rep
Drives: I8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockescow View Post
Hi all,

It looks like things might go down this weekend for me in getting an i8. Price-wise, my choices are similar. Only thing is, 2016 preowned + 3rd party @ ~15k mileage, or 2016 CPO @ 30k mileage? I've bought a MBenz SLK before at 24k mileage which lasted til 75k without a single issue. I think other bmws should be just as reliable, but I'm not sure how it is with i8s. Has anyone been down this predicament?
You should look at the 3rd party warranty contract and read it carefully because you know they have. Any vague terms have explained in an email (this will be VERY important in arbitration). Be prepared to arbitrate your claims because they will usually deny or offer to pay some reduced amount without explaining how the number was arrived at.

I have been 4 times and never lost.

On the other hand CPO may cover more or less depending on the 3rd party contract. In my case my 3rd party contract covered the entire car (minus some small stuff).

Try Assurance Solutions in Atlanta, GA. They have paid 17K on 3k contract.
And only 1 arbitration (14k claim) for that contract.

What it the price for each car all in?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm currently trying to negotiate them to 62-63k, so assume all the tax stuff is done, around 66-67k otd? I'm seeing some nice 2015 models at low mileage as well. Are there any big differences or issues on 2015 compares to 2016 models? Up til now I've only looked at 2016 models, but the lower price range on 2015s are tempting.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #5
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update: i pulled the trigger today for a 2016 cpo. Quick question for anyone reading this: i was offered the maintenance package 4years/50k for $2100. Ive done my own brakes and oil change from my experience with the lotus. The i8 is currently at 30k. So in the next 20k, ive got 4 oil changes and maybe brake changes. Is there anything special about these maintenances that either myself or am indy shop cant do that would require an official bmw mech for? Essentially trying to decide if its worth the 2100 they want to sell me...

I figure 1 oil change diy is like 110 (indie shop maybe 150-175). Brake pads outside around 100 for set of 4, plus 50 for labor if indie. Flush maybe 200 at indie. Compare to what the dealer list is shown, the markup going with dealer is ghastly.

Last edited by lockescow; 04-04-2020 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

You need to look at the full list of stuff that is done at each mileage service.
A 2016 BMW comes with 4 year/50k maintenance coverage (Ultimate care); you don't have to pay for that. Has it run out?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
You need to look at the full list of stuff that is done at each mileage service.
A 2016 BMW comes with 4 year/50k maintenance coverage (Ultimate care); you don't have to pay for that. Has it run out?
From what i was told and read, ultimate care goes to the first owner only and is not transferable. The ultimate care plus is the option thats transferable. Since the car warranty was punched on jan 2016, it's already on its 4th year and the 4yr/50k is now reached so it wouldnt have mattered anyway... unless i understood it wrong.

I might consider the 2100 maintenance for the 4 oil changes and perhaps brake/rotors labor & convenient while i plan out how to build the lifts into my garage
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I thought the free maintenance, like the warranty, transferred w CPO. I am getting free service on my 2019.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #9
lockescow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I thought the free maintenance, like the warranty, transferred w CPO. I am getting free service on my 2019.
I'm thinking it's up to individual dealer's discretion to cover the remaining initial free maintenance or not, and yours decided to throw in the coverage to get good points, but it looks like officially, up until model year 2014 cars retained their free maintenance regardless of whether it's a one owner car or purchased used. CPO or regular used has no bearing on the warranty or the free maintenance. From model year 2015 and on, the maintenance is not transferable whether CPO or regular used.

CPO only transfer warranty over, not the maintenance. I've elected to not do the maintenance package. I am pretty good with the wrench on my own after 7 years with the Lotus, Pricing for the i8 parts are cheap enough for parts, oil, filter, brakes, rotors, etc, and the standard maintenance are pretty easy DIY, I'll save quite a bit with very low risk.

Last edited by lockescow; 04-07-2020 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #10
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockescow View Post
I'm thinking it's up to individual dealer's discretion to cover the remaining initial free maintenance or not, and yours decided to throw in the coverage to get good points, but it looks like officially, up until model year 2014 cars retained their free maintenance regardless of whether it's a one owner car or purchased used. CPO or regular used has no bearing on the warranty or the free maintenance. From model year 2015 and on, the maintenance is not transferable whether CPO or regular used.

CPO only transfer warranty over, not the maintenance. I've elected to not do the maintenance package. I am pretty good with the wrench on my own after 7 years with the Lotus, Pricing for the i8 parts are cheap enough for parts, oil, filter, brakes, rotors, etc, and the standard maintenance are pretty easy DIY, I'll save quite a bit with very low risk.

Good decision.
3 years of ownership. No issues except standard fuel door won’t open. Easy, free permanent fix.
Oil changes are easy to do and parts are cheap.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #11
awesam
Rep
Drives: land rover lr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI8 View Post
You should look at the 3rd party warranty contract and read it carefully because you know they have. Any vague terms have explained in an email (this will be VERY important in arbitration). Be prepared to arbitrate your claims because they will usually deny or offer to pay some reduced amount without explaining how the number was arrived at.

I have been 4 times and never lost.

On the other hand CPO may cover more or less depending on the 3rd party contract. In my case my 3rd party contract covered the entire car (minus some small stuff).

Try Assurance Solutions in Atlanta, GA. They have paid 17K on 3k contract.
And only 1 arbitration (14k claim) for that contract.

What it the price for each car all in?
how did you go about getting your assuran(t) solutions warranty? also, do you know if it's possible to secure a warranty either before or right as your buy the car? the peace of mind of a warranty is an absolute necessity for me when buying these cars but CPO seems to add like 6-7k to the price, whereas, 3k for a 3rd party warranty is much more palatable. i'd hate to buy a non warranty car and get stuck without any recourse though.

thoughts?
Appreciate 0