Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawtato View Post
That’s a great success, OP.

Almost one month in with my iX and I still haven’t gotten used to the lack of vertical spokes at the bottom of the steering wheel. I have no problem with a flat bottom wheel as my C43 has it, but it feels so weird missing the vertical spokes when I turn and I keep sliding my thumb all the way across the bottom bar 😥.
That’s honestly one of the things I liked about the original wheel! Made it supremely comfortable in long stretches of assisted driving. Just something very comfortable about that big flat area to rest your hands.
Appreciate 1
ilya4min304.50
      01-14-2024, 09:58 AM   #68
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Would this work on an X5 by any chance?
      02-02-2024, 01:56 PM   #69
doogo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX

This is such a dope project, I love the M badging and feel like M60s should all have a little more of it besides the brake calipers and dash display. If I were to do this I would also miss the shape of the current wheel though. I wish there was some option in between.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 04:42 PM   #70
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

So fast forward to the 2025 iX … seems even BMW has rethought their initial steering wheel choice for the iX and have done this mod themselves to all M60 models! lol
Appreciate 1
darylp310951.50
      02-04-2024, 03:49 AM   #71
RixT
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
So fast forward to the 2025 iX … seems even BMW has rethought their initial steering wheel choice for the iX and have done this mod themselves to all M60 models! lol
Yeah, great to see a reversion back to a sensible choice rather than manufactures trying to create versions of the Tesla Yolk nonsense that's now so off trend...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 11:11 AM   #72
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
I'm not a fan of the 3-spoke M wheel. I like the stock iX wheel because there is a nice, flat, uninterrupted area at the bottom where I can rest my hands while using ADAS.
Appreciate 1
ilya4min304.50
      02-04-2024, 12:40 PM   #73
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
I'm not a fan of the 3-spoke M wheel. I like the stock iX wheel because there is a nice, flat, uninterrupted area at the bottom where I can rest my hands while using ADAS.
The circular 3-spoke wheel looks better, but I, too, find the flat bottom useful for resting my hands with DAP.

My bigger gripes with the iX wheel are that it’s a little on the thin side for my liking (no, I don’t have big hands) and that it needs to feel more like (or be) leather rather than pleather.

M sport steering wheels have traditionally been slightly more rotund, which makes them great for grabbing on to, and this is the first pleather material I’ve held on a BMW wheel. I’m probably in the minority here but I also much prefer the animal leather interior to the sensatec - the leather looks nicer and feels better to the touch. We’ll see how it holds up to wear and tear.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 10:10 AM   #74
JSTARR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW IX, BMW X3, Toyota Tacoma

Very cool & beautifully executed project!
I personally like the weird IX wheel (at least so far) though it may start to bug me at some point.
Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 01:10 AM   #75
Pepppie
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyboss View Post
One other note - I also realize that this M Sport wheel is missing the light strips that the original wheel had across the spokes. I think I only saw them used to signify when the driver assist was activated and I needed to touch the wheel. Anyone else know their purpose?
Easy to fix, like sor , did (See the OP); just transfer the buttons from your iX steering wheel to the new M one. As he explained; everything (“the vibration motor and everything else is integrated into the button modules and thus the wiring is much cleaner”) is in that buttons, so if you transfer them, everything is electronically original!

Last edited by Pepppie; 03-24-2024 at 03:42 AM..
Appreciate 0