BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

03-21-2024, 11:30 AM   #45
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
Ceramic coatings are many times harder than clear coat (9H vs 2-4H).
And yet it offers no protection to the clear coat from anything that would otherwise scratch the clear coat. The reason? The ceramic layer is incredibly thin. The only practical protection it provides may be against harsh chemicals and basic car wash methods. Same as wax or spray-on ceramic.

I get that people who spend thousands on ceramic coating want to promote its usefulness. In reality, the only way to properly protect your paint against defects is to wrap it in PPF.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2024, 11:30 AM   #46
Windshieldfarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
Except ceramic is not hard. It offers no protection against anything other than spots. It will not protect your car from scratches at all. That's a myth. If you want that you'll need to move up to PPF. Ceramic makes your paint look nice, but so does good old cheap car wax.
It’s true that a good wax will make a car look just as good…but that wax needs to be reapplied frequently….that is the advantage a good ceramic coating.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 11:32 AM   #47
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windshieldfarmer View Post
It’s true that a good wax will make a car look just as good…but that wax needs to be reapplied frequently….that is the advantage a good ceramic coating.
For what ceramic costs to apply, I'd rather wax my car! I found an excellent spray-on ceramic coating that I put into my foam cannon. The beading and protection against sap, etc., is superior and lasts for several months.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2024, 11:34 AM   #48
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
For what ceramic costs to apply, I'd rather wax my car! I found an excellent spray-on ceramic coating that I put into my foam cannon. The beading and protection against sap, etc., is superior and lasts for several months.
You do you as they say.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 12:19 PM   #49
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Most of the cost of ceramic coating from a good detailer is the paint correction prior. Ceramic just protects that correction longer and better than most other coatings. You could have a paint correction done and wax the car as well - same difference but not as long-lasting or protective, but still an option. CC isn't magic - and you can apply wax, graphene or anything else over the original paint, orange-peel and all. Just depends on the time, effort and $$ you want to invest. And how particular you are. Slapping ceramic coating over a factory paint job is arguably no better (in appearance) than waxing it - you just need to wax it every month or two to maintain the appearance, versus a year-ish (or two) for CC. Most owners, if they invest in having a correction done, will want to protect it as long as possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 06:54 AM   #50
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Quote:
NomoTesla Which spray-on ceramic coating do you sue?

Last edited by javapro; 03-23-2024 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 1