BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

03-15-2024, 12:32 AM   #45
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
I appreciate the advice from a rando person on the internet hiding behind a pseudonym...
Back at ya Mate.

You sound like a gen Z who has never lived through the times or has been through a recession and claims to understand how the world works. You lost your argument, have nothing meaningful left and that’s all you got to say.

Lot to learn for you seems like, unsolicited advice to you - be open minded and learn to have a healthy debate with a “rando” person on the internet. You don’t seem to get the point of forums, not sure why you are here then.

I have been here ~15 years and 3 other car forums, and nobody talks like this. Grow up and peace out.

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 12:18 PM   #46
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
Back at ya Mate.

You sound like a gen Z who has never lived through the times or has been through a recession and claims to understand how the world works. You lost your argument, have nothing meaningful left and that’s all you got to say.

Lot to learn for you seems like, unsolicited advice to you - be open minded and learn to have a healthy debate with a “rando” person on the internet. You don’t seem to get the point of forums, not sure why you are here then.

I have been here ~15 years and 3 other car forums, and nobody talks like this. Grow up and peace out.
I'm 55 and made the most money during the last recession thanks to my understanding of how the world works. I bought myself two $100k+ cars cash. Thanks for all of your advice, though. Peace out to you as well.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 01:01 PM   #47
Kennethjk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IX 50, Mustang Mach E, BMWX3

I have not driven a model 3 , but did someone say it’s close to a BMW series 3 Car? In what ways?

I test drove a Tesla S years ago and I thought the handling just so-so not like my BMWs I was accustomed to.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 01:19 PM   #48
Windshieldfarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennethjk View Post
I have not driven a model 3 , but did someone say it’s close to a BMW series 3 Car? In what ways?

I test drove a Tesla S years ago and I thought the handling just so-so not like my BMWs I was accustomed to.
Tesla - the model 3 handles reasonably well, is quick, good UI , and has a good drivetrain. The new Highlander model is better than previous versions though it looks similar enough to older models that it might be confused with something that is seven model years old.

BMW- Build quality, tactile feel, dealer support, ride, and NVH control are far better. Lease rates are also generally better with BMW. Subjectively the comparable BMW is more attractive with far more options for customization. BMWs tend to have a luxury feel…Tesla’s do not.
Appreciate 1
Kennethjk127.00
      03-15-2024, 01:20 PM   #49
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:

Someone did, but that is a bit of a strawman fallacy. I don't think that Tesla positioned the Model 3 as a BMW 3 Series competitor. When it was introduced in 2017, the common marketing description was along the lines of an affordable car for the mass market. That is decidedly not what a BMW 3 Series is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car and Driver
The Model 3 is intended to make all-electric motoring affordable for a lot more consumers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Verge
The Model 3 will be Tesla's first attempt at a high-volume car meant for mainstream consumers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "New York Times
In Pivotal Moment, Tesla Unveils Its First Mass-Market Sedan

Last edited by exxxviii; 03-15-2024 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
Kennethjk127.00
      03-15-2024, 01:22 PM   #50
Kennethjk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IX 50, Mustang Mach E, BMWX3

When I think of a BMW 3 series, I think of handling and other than my 911 the 3 series cars I have had were the most fun to drive .
Appreciate 3
exxxviii1308.00
      03-15-2024, 01:34 PM   #51
exxxviii
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When I think of a BMW 3 series, I think of handling and other than my 911 the 3 series cars I have had were the most fun to drive.
When it was introduced, the Model 3 was priced a lot closer to the Honda Accord than the 3 Series. I honestly think the Accord and Camry were more of Tesla's original target, and since the pricing reset, it is back in the price range of those two.
      03-15-2024, 01:59 PM   #52
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Not sure why model 3 is named as model 3 when other Tesla vehicles are alphabets. 3-series was iconic in that segment so unlikely it has absolutely no correlation to wooing the BMW crowd. Tesla forums call model 3, the M3 for short

Typically car companies do not do this but it might be the creative S 3 X Y acronym. Cyber truck stands alone though in that philosophy of naming.

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 02:51 PM   #53
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
Not sure why model 3 is named as model 3 when other Tesla vehicles are alphabets. 3-series was iconic in that segment so unlikely it has absolutely no correlation to wooing the BMW crowd. Tesla forums call model 3, the M3 for short

Typically car companies do not do this but it might be the creative S 3 X Y acronym. Cyber truck stands alone though in that philosophy of naming.
There is no doubt that sociopath Mush thought that S3XY was funny, hence the nomenclature chosen.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 02:57 PM   #54
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windshieldfarmer View Post
Tesla - the model 3 handles reasonably well, is quick, good UI , and has a good drivetrain. The new Highlander model is better than previous versions though it looks similar enough to older models that it might be confused with something that is seven model years old.

BMW- Build quality, tactile feel, dealer support, ride, and NVH control are far better. Lease rates are also generally better with BMW. Subjectively the comparable BMW is more attractive with far more options for customization. BMWs tend to have a luxury feel…Tesla’s do not.
I rode in a Model 3 a while back; unfortunately in the back seat. It was awful. Cheap plastics with terrible gaps, and the worst suspension that crashed over every, even minor ‘bump’ in the road. Add in the dash layout, which I hate and the reports of terrible build quality re: body panels; suspension, etc. and I cannot for the life of me see the attraction. If Teslas were still the only BEV choice; I’d still be driving true ‘M’ cars, etc.

One wonders how much of the massive increase in car insurance rates is down to Musk creating vehicles that are much cheaper to build; (mega casting anyone?), but almost impossible to repair; even from minor damage. He’s created the age of the disposal car, and we’re all paying for it it seems.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 03:06 PM   #55
Windshieldfarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
I rode in a Model 3 a while back; unfortunately in the back seat. It was awful. Cheap plastics with terrible gaps, and the worst suspension that crashed over every, even minor ‘bump’ in the road. Add in the dash layout, which I hate and the reports of terrible build quality re: body panels; suspension, etc. and I cannot for the life of me see the attraction. If Teslas were still the only BEV choice; I’d still be driving true ‘M’ cars, etc.

One wonders how much of the massive increase in car insurance rates is down to Musk creating vehicles that are much cheaper to build; (mega casting anyone?), but almost impossible to repair; even from minor damage. He’s created the age of the disposal car, and we’re all paying for it it seems.
To your point, when I shopped car insurance for my IX I also priced Model Y insurance since that was a car I was initially interested in acquiring. The cost was nearly identical…and the MY is 40% less expensive. Even for the BMW I remain concerned about repairability given its unique frame construct.

I saw this morning that auto insurance rates nationally have increased 21% in the last 12 months…a factor that is contributing to persistent inflation.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 03:38 PM   #56
exxxviii
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To your point, when I shopped car insurance for my IX I also priced Model Y insurance since that was a car I was initially interested in acquiring. The cost was nearly identical…and the MY is 40% less expensive. Even for the BMW I remain concerned about repairability given its unique frame construct.
My insurance went up, a lot, when I moved from a Model Y to the iX.

I am terrified of cracking the stupid glass roof. What the heck was BMW thinking with that electrochromatic panel? I just want a clear slab of heat-shielded glass... like the Tesla Model Y.
      03-15-2024, 04:48 PM   #57
Windshieldfarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxxviii View Post

I am terrified of cracking the stupid glass roof. What the heck was BMW thinking with that electrochromatic panel? I just want a clear slab of heat-shielded glass... like the Tesla Model Y.
I would be fine with all metal with just a regular sunroof. I leased a Genesis several year ago that had a 6” strip of glass between the windshield and panoramic sunroof. A rock flew up and broke that little strip of glass…which turned out to be pretty easy to fix. My wife’s Ford Edge has this exact same set up. Not sure why BMW thought this arrangement was a great idea…. I doubt I will ever turn off the electrochromatic dimming….
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 04:57 PM   #58
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
I would be fine with all metal with just a regular sunroof. I leased a Genesis several year ago that had a 6” strip of glass between the windshield and panoramic sunroof. A rock flew up and broke that little strip of glass…which turned out to be pretty easy to fix. My wife’s Ford Edge has this exact same set up. Not sure why BMW thought this arrangement was a great idea…. I doubt I will ever turn off the electrochromatic dimming….
The iX was billed as a flagship for new technology, so I think they just wanted to do something no one else was really doing.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 05:30 PM   #59
VersatenBMW
MMBmw
Rep
Drives: Tesla Y; iX m60

Quote:

We have both a Y and an iX. In the Florida sun where we are the electrostatic iX glass is MUCH cooler than the Y glass
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 05:41 PM   #60
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersatenBMW View Post
We have both a Y and an iX. In the Florida sun where we are the electrostatic iX glass is MUCH cooler than the Y glass
Yup, in case someone missed my previous post, I moved my garaged MY and iX out in the sun one morning, put Bluetooth temperature sensors in each, and measured the rising temps over 5.5 hours. I expected the temps to eventually equalize but no, the iX stayed cooler the entire time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
darylp310951.50
LVBMW1328.00
Paladin15556.00
KRS_SN13537.00
      03-15-2024, 05:45 PM   #61
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonMDUSA View Post
Yup, in case someone missed my previous post, I moved my garaged MY and iX out in the sun one morning, put Bluetooth temperature sensors in each, and measured the rising temps over 5.5 hours. I expected the temps to eventually equalize but no, the iX stayed cooler the entire time.
Very interesting! Thanks for running that experiment!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 05:58 PM   #62
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
There is no doubt that sociopath Mush thought that S3XY was funny, hence the nomenclature chosen.
Tesla wanted to use the Model E, but Ford already trademarked it, so it became Model 3.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 06:02 PM   #63
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Also a repost of mine. Same model year MY and iX, Geico, and MY insurance costs more.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
LVBMW1328.00
      03-15-2024, 06:06 PM   #64
exxxviii
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonMDUSA View Post
That's some great science right there.

I have only had my iX in winter so far, so nothing to directly compare to. My impression of the MY was that heat through the glass roof was not noticeable in the summer compared to every prior car with a normal/small glass sunroof. Mine was garaged, but I found no need for a shade or tinting while driving around in Georgia sun. So, great news that the iX is better, but it may not be a material difference in my use case.
      03-15-2024, 07:24 PM   #65
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Xpel sells an ‘Ultimate’ panel pre-cut for our roof. I used an experienced installer and you can’t even tell it’s on there.

Foolproof? Of course not, but I sleep much better at night knowing I have a measure of extra protection for when I’m following trucks on the highway.
Appreciate 1
LVBMW1328.00
      03-15-2024, 07:32 PM   #66
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have only had my iX in winter so far, so nothing to directly compare to. My impression of the MY was that heat through the glass roof was not noticeable in the summer compared to every prior car with a normal/small glass sunroof. Mine was garaged, but I found no need for a shade or tinting while driving around in Georgia sun. So, great news that the iX is better, but it may not be a material difference in my use case.
Yup, I don't think the MY is bad, but the iX is clearly better. The MY does have cabin overheat protection though, which helps significantly.
Appreciate 1
LVBMW1328.00