VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post

Items w/ Descriptions that begin with SL_ or end with _SL are usually speedlocks
Additionally some are written out SPEEDLOCK

For example

SL06_IBA_01 is a speedlock that controls a portion of the onboard user manual

HMI Lists are related to menus/options on the iDrive system

A4A Apps are related to CarPlay

I turn off everything that is enabled or tied to a speedlock condition of handbrake, etc to completely off or no speedlock condition so I'm not blocked from doing shit like entering a POI with Google Maps when in CarPlay, etc.

Everything is working great again without a lawyer telling me how to use the iDrive system in my iX

Don't ask me for all the individual items I changed, as I don't recall ... I literally just buzzed through all the lines with the above references, and made the changes indicated where BMW NA didn't have the nanny turned off by default for our market
Good to know! Thank you so much.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 05:40 AM   #112
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
But the only module you can really do anything with is the head unit due since it’s really the only module that stores is configuration files locally.

I was aware of this already. Just that some comments on here make it seem like ALL is dead in the water after March update.

I was confirming that I can still code the head unit even after the March update.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 05:42 AM   #113
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Don't ask me for all the individual items I changed, as I don't recall ... I literally just buzzed through all the lines with the above references, and made the changes indicated where BMW NA didn't have the nanny turned off by default for our market
This is what I did for my F30 back in 2014. Went through everything with SL etc as you did and coded it. There were quite a lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 05:42 AM   #114
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
I was aware of this already. Just that some comments on here make it seem like ALL is dead in the water after March update.

I was confirming that I can still code the head unit even after the March update.
Yes, most of us on this thread are already on the same update.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 09:32 PM   #115
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Yes, most of us on this thread are already on the same update.
Following this thread as waiting for my X7 to arrive this month. Do you mind sharing what options are available for the X7 in Bimmer code beta?

Appreciate it!
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2023, 09:35 PM   #116
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by possib1edoc View Post
Following this thread as waiting for my X7 to arrive this month. Do you mind sharing what options are available for the X7 in Bimmer code beta?

Appreciate it!
The official version doesn’t support the X7 past 2022 - or practically any BMW with iDrive 8 or newer. I do have the beta version installed; however, I won’t be able to tell you what the options are since I don’t have that vehicle. The options are dictated by the indivual vehicle options after it reads your vehicle order file. When it is officially supported, you’ll find it listed here:

https://bimmercode.app/cars/bmw/
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2023, 09:37 PM   #117
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The official version doesn’t support the X7 past 2022 - Or practically any vehicle with iDrive 8 or newer. I do have the beta version installed; however, I won’t be able to tell you what the options are since I don’t have that vehicle. The options are dictated by the vehicle options. When it is officially supported, you’ll find it listed here:

https://bimmercode.app/cars/bmw/
Thanks! Guess will have to wait to try it once my car arrives
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2023, 09:39 PM   #118
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! Guess will have to wait to try it once my car arrives
You’ll also need the beta version since the current release version doesn’t support it yet. You’re going to be disappointed by your lack of options because of the way iDrive handles coding now. The config files are no longer stored in the vehicle to edit. It’s all cloud-based now, so you’ll only be able to do things on the head unit like disable disclaimers and little things like that.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2023, 09:40 PM   #119
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You’ll also need the beta version since the current release version doesn’t support it yet. You’re going to be disappointed by your lack of options because of the way iDrive handles coding now. The config files are no longer stored in the vehicle to edit. It’s all cloud-based now, so you’ll only be able to do things on the head unit like disable disclaimers and little things like that.
Yep going to be a disappointment over all but really just want USB video play back haha
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2023, 09:41 PM   #120
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep going to be a disappointment over all but really just want USB video play back haha
That feature is only useful if you aren’t using iOS.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2023, 09:43 PM   #121
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That feature is only useful if you aren’t using iOS.
I want to play movies in the main head unit so passengers can watch while on long trips. Assuming I can only do that with the USB video play back?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 05:03 PM   #122
SoCali3Bear
"The more hair I lose...the more head I get!"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 IX ///M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
I’ve only really had a quick 10 minutes play but so far I’ve coded the Idrive disclaimer off and the one touch turn signal to 5 blinks.
I would love to do both of these?

It is hard to do?

I have bimmercode that I used to use on my 2020 i3.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 05:24 PM   #123
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I want to play movies in the main head unit so passengers can watch while on long trips. Assuming I can only do that with the USB video play back?
If you’re an Apple user, this will not be possible as it never has been. I believe you can do it with android after coding the head unit which is currently the only module that is accessible to us.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 05:27 PM   #124
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you’re an Apple user, this will not be possible as it never has been. I believe you can do it with android after coding the head unit which is currently the only module that is accessible to us.
Will give it a try next week when I get my car. On my 2015 X5 when we enabled this option, we were able to attach a hard drive with video files and play directly on the screen (didn’t have to deal with apple car play or android auto).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 05:28 PM   #125
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Will give it a try next week when I get my car. On my 2015 X5 when we enabled this option, we were able to attach a hard drive with video files and play directly on the screen (didn’t have to deal with apple car play or android auto).
It will not work from an Apple device even with previous generations of iDrive and coding. It is not supported by Apple. Trust me, I’ve tried it going back to iDrive 6. You can turn the setting on via coding, but it won’t do anything from an Apple device because Apple has that restricted in iOS itself. You might be able to get it working with an android device.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 05:30 PM   #126
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It will not work from an Apple device even with previous generations of iDrive and coding. It is not supported by Apple. Trust me, I’ve tried it going back to iDrive 6. You can turn the setting on via coding, but it won’t do anything from an Apple device because Apple has that restricted in iOS itself.
Yep agree but not trying to do it with an apple or Android device. I am talking about attaching an SSD with video files directly into the USB-C of the car to play videos.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 05:33 PM   #127
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep agree but not trying to do it with an apple or Android device. I am talking about attaching an SSD with video files directly into the USB-C of the car to play videos.
I’m not sure that will work either as might need some sort of player to stream it from. It is possible that it might work with the right video format. You’re going to have to play with it. Please keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 05:42 PM   #128
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’m not sure that will work either as might need some sort of player to stream it from. It is possible that it might work with the right video format. You’re going to have to play with it. Please keep us posted!
For sure - will give it a try when I get the car hopefully next week. Usually the cars play mp4 files so on my old X5 I just put a bunch of the mp4 files on an SSD and attached to car via USB. Then I could select the file on the car screen and it would play the video.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 07:08 PM   #129
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For sure - will give it a try when I get the car hopefully next week. Usually the cars play mp4 files so on my old X5 I just put a bunch of the mp4 files on an SSD and attached to car via USB. Then I could select the file on the car screen and it would play the video.
Don’t forget you will need to apply to the Developer if you want beta access of BimmerCode.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 07:10 PM   #130
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don’t forget you will need to apply to the Developer if you want beta access of BimmerCode.
Yep already got beta access haha just need the car (production date is next Monday)
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2023, 10:13 AM   #131
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
While coding for this was possible (maybe no longer since the Head Unit moved to SC2.0) it's limited to only while stationary.
      09-08-2023, 10:15 AM   #132
possib1edoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
While coding for this was possible (maybe no longer since the Head Unit moved to SC2.0) it's limited to only while stationary.
Oh ok - will still give it a try when I get the car and report back.
Appreciate 0