Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

12-04-2021, 01:59 AM   #309
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Literally the one thing I think holding max back is he doesn't understand the term lose the battle win the war. He wants to win every battle and the war which can't happen some times and that is costing him an easy win this year.
I don't think it can apply to the current situation with what was and still is Merc's questionable advantage.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 02:16 AM   #310
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
I don't think it can apply to the current situation with what was and still is Merc's questionable advantage.
How so? If he backed out in silverstone and just finished p2 he would have 18 more points than he does today and that alone would likely wrap up the championship. All the other occasions of not backing out he got extremely luck in, eg. he didn't DNF or get damage in Austria when he pushed Lewis wide on the opening lap.

That literally is the definition of losing a battle to win the war, which Max has yet to understand. Will this cost him the championship? I don't know it might, and if it does it will be a painful lesson.

Also, what questionable advantage? There are none, everything has passed every single test. Mercedes have just added enough upgrades and finally figured out how to setup the w12 properly to balance out the car with downforce and drag, along with understeer and oversteer with wing angle, and they are entering the stretch of the season where the track suits their car philosophy - long straights + high speed corners that suits cars with a strong front end which the mercedes has and the redbull doesnt (the RB16B has a more stable rear end but the w12 has a more stable front end as per analysts speaking about the high vs. low rake concepts and their resulting downforce generation patterns).
minn1914012.00
irunalot1518.00
      12-04-2021, 04:06 AM   #311
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
How so? If he backed out in silverstone and just finished p2 he would have 18 more points than he does today and that alone would likely wrap up the championship. All the other occasions of not backing out he got extremely luck in, eg. he didn't DNF or get damage in Austria when he pushed Lewis wide on the opening lap.

That literally is the definition of losing a battle to win the war, which Max has yet to understand. Will this cost him the championship? I don't know it might, and if it does it will be a painful lesson.

Also, what questionable advantage? There are none, everything has passed every single test. Mercedes have just added enough upgrades and finally figured out how to setup the w12 properly to balance out the car with downforce and drag, along with understeer and oversteer with wing angle, and they are entering the stretch of the season where the track suits their car philosophy - long straights + high speed corners that suits cars with a strong front end which the mercedes has and the redbull doesnt (the RB16B has a more stable rear end but the w12 has a more stable front end as per analysts speaking about the high vs. low rake concepts and their resulting downforce generation patterns).
My suspicions arise when Fia are dragging heels with reference to Mercs rear wing and bendy front wing, intake plenum cooling and other things.
LH's car has yet to be randomly picked this year to be thoroughly checked when everyone else's has as Bubbles has pointed out. It just doesn't add up despite what little attention the stewards have done concerning car 44 on the face of it and Max's car being torn apart by them.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 04:30 AM   #312
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
My suspicions arise when Fia are dragging heels with reference to Mercs rear wing and bendy front wing, intake plenum cooling and other things.
LH's car has yet to be randomly picked this year to be thoroughly checked when everyone else's has as Bubbles has pointed out. It just doesn't add up despite what little attention the stewards have done concerning car 44 on the face of it and Max's car being torn apart by them.
Well FIA be doing FIA things, but the cars still do go through scrutineering just not that random full year down. But still if Mercedes is banking on them not fully checking to cheat, they're risking a DQ when a check occurs. Then right after a massive lawsuit when everyone else finds out.

They did inspect the wings as per RB's request and standard load testing, no issues.

As for the plenum I believe redbull raised concerns but the temp sensors were in the correct place as per the FIA. If RB is still concerned they could at any time request further testing.
irunalot1518.00
      12-04-2021, 04:42 AM   #313
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Well FIA be doing FIA things, but the cars still do go through scrutineering just not that random full year down. But still if Mercedes is banking on them not fully checking to cheat, they're risking a DQ when a check occurs. Then right after a massive lawsuit when everyone else finds out.

They did inspect the wings as per RB's request and standard load testing, no issues.

As for the plenum I believe redbull raised concerns but the temp sensors were in the correct place as per the FIA. If RB is still concerned they could at any time request further testing.
There was a new load test that was shelved by Fia I believe but it was 'too late in the season' for them to check the Merc r/wing,a very weak explanation.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 04:48 AM   #314
M5Rick
General
Rep

Marko has played down dominance of Merc on the straight, ''what is actually here are fast corners'' so for this reason the rocket engine Merc are threatening to fit to car 44 is not a huge concern.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 04:59 AM   #315
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
There was a new load test that was shelved by Fia I believe but it was 'too late in the season' for them to check the Merc r/wing,a very weak explanation.
The test in Qatar was already increased in spec, and RB was satisfied so that's all that matters since RB was the one who brought up this query.
irunalot1518.00
      12-04-2021, 05:03 AM   #316
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Marko has played down dominance of Merc on the straight, ''what is actually here are fast corners'' so for this reason the rocket engine Merc are threatening to fit to car 44 is not a huge concern.
We will see in a couple of hours. But this track has massive straights as well, so it is a blend of both, and the mercedes seems to be fast in the high speed corners as well. So I guess talk is cheap, we will see what happens in quali and that should be a decent reflection of the race. Guess that will also show if marko is just talking nonsense like he usually does or if he is right this time.
minn1914012.00
irunalot1518.00
      12-04-2021, 05:14 AM   #317
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
We will see in a couple of hours. But this track has massive straights as well, so it is a blend of both, and the mercedes seems to be fast in the high speed corners as well. So I guess talk is cheap, we will see what happens in quali and that should be a decent reflection of the race. Guess that will also show if marko is just talking nonsense like he usually does or if he is right this time.
That makes sense to me what Marko comments and if only Wolff was more forthcoming with his info rather than just that he'll be pulling the pin out of the grenade lol how hilarious.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 05:40 AM   #318
M5Rick
General
Rep

1997 F1 champ Villeneuve has said it will be better for F1 if Max wins the title joining the growing numbers who think Ham getting another title would be unfair while Schumacher lies paralysed.
''Max is not politically correct, doesn't care what others say and is here to race.Lewis is more concerned with his image and very active on social media''
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 06:08 AM   #319
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That makes sense to me what Marko comments and if only Wolff was more forthcoming with his info rather than just that he'll be pulling the pin out of the grenade lol how hilarious.
No the issue is the no benefit statement in particular, that's not true on a track with massive straights along with high speed corners. Here's why:

1) Yes the speed delta is not massive between RB and Merc, but on a long straight ever km/h increase results in tangible time gains. Hence why teams are trying to balance downforce and drag.

2) This brings in a second point, with more power you can change trade that for more downforce and take the extra drag without penalty. So you can match an opponent's top speed and pack more downforce for even better cornering.

So overall the more powerful pu should be a factor that is non negligible.
irunalot1518.00
      12-04-2021, 06:14 AM   #320
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
That's what I was thinking to but even if that was the case, saying he is a very poor racer does not hold water given his results.
Didn't think my choice of words (poor) would confuse. Let's try these (for clarity): sloppy, reckless, illegal, and bad-mannered. While leading the WDC in points and winning GP's can only be done by driving fast...which is where he shines, it doesn't mean he races with class.
Appreciate 2
minn1914012.00
irunalot1518.00
      12-04-2021, 06:51 AM   #321
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
No the issue is the no benefit statement in particular, that's not true on a track with massive straights along with high speed corners. Here's why:

1) Yes the speed delta is not massive between RB and Merc, but on a long straight ever km/h increase results in tangible time gains. Hence why teams are trying to balance downforce and drag.

2) This brings in a second point, with more power you can change trade that for more downforce and take the extra drag without penalty. So you can match an opponent's top speed and pack more downforce for even better cornering.

So overall the more powerful pu should be a factor that is non negligible.
So what we know is that Ham will have his Brazil PU in and from Q2 the setting for that will have to be used on the race together with that tyre choice.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 06:54 AM   #322
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
That's what I was thinking to but even if that was the case, saying he is a very poor racer does not hold water given his results.
I agree and no one gets good results by being a poor racer, for sure saying Max is a poor racer makes little sense.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 07:31 AM   #323
M5Rick
General
Rep

Jos was asked if Toto is a bad loser.''You could say that, yes.Mercedes were leading for years, of course.Now they are cornered for the first time and you see a different Toto. A pity, but that's how you get to know people.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 07:36 AM   #324
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
I agree and no one gets good results by being a poor racer, for sure saying Max is a poor racer makes little sense.
FP3 starts in 20 ..

Horner : It's Interesting to see another Mercedes rear wing ...
If the cheating wing was approved by the FIA , and if the FIA was too late with a new test ..
So why changed Mercedes the cheating DRS wing anyway ..

And why is the Mercedes rear squat suspension Isn't working during the FP sessions ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59591.00
      12-04-2021, 07:42 AM   #325
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
FP3 starts in 20 ..

Horner : It's Interesting to see another Mercedes rear wing ...
If the cheating wing was approved by the FIA , and if the FIA was too late with a new test ..
So why changed Mercedes the cheating DRS wing anyway ..

And why is the Mercedes rear squat suspension Isn't working during the FP sessions ...

''Special dispensation'' from the rulers to the Mib, for politically correct reasons.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 08:12 AM   #326
M5Rick
General
Rep

Ferrari must have been busting a gut rebuilding Chas's wreck, wonder if he got a new tub ..
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 08:21 AM   #327
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:
Jos was asked if Toto is a bad loser.''You could say that, yes.Mercedes were leading for years, of course.Now they are cornered for the first time and you see a different Toto. A pity, but that's how you get to know people.

LOL - coming from a guy who regularly beats women, yes you do get to know people
Appreciate 1
3798j11325.00
      12-04-2021, 08:30 AM   #328
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongoxxx View Post
LOL - coming from a guy who regularly beats women, yes you do get to know people
He wasn't referring to a woman
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 08:30 AM   #329
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Ferrari must have been busting a gut rebuilding Chas's wreck, wonder if he got a new tub ..
I heard that Charlie got a new floor at Jeddah prior to the crash ..

Charlie ran wide over the curbs and suddenly he lost it in no time .
I think the new updated floor is unpredictable and it changed the cars behaviour completely ..

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59591.00
      12-04-2021, 08:31 AM   #330
M5Rick
General
Rep

It's only final practice guys!
Appreciate 1