Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

12-24-2021, 08:06 PM   #45
mrsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 520D MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
lol the marketing here is insane... bmw knows exactly what they are doing... ice or not ice... they purposely chose a rwd m3... and guess what people will fall for it
sure it’s marketing but the i4 is MUCH cheaper than an M3 so not really a car you would consider in the same category, BUT the i4 will be a very good car in its own right, I don’t think it will handle quite like an M3 or be as quick around a track but if you can’t quite afford to buy or run an M3 buy this .. it’s the closest BMW you’ll get for the money IMO. M car enthusiasts should embrace this for what it is, it’s not an M3/M4 but it’s still a great BMW.
Appreciate 1
EdM54064.50
      12-24-2021, 08:43 PM   #46
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmith View Post
Quote:
lol the marketing here is insane... bmw knows exactly what they are doing... ice or not ice... they purposely chose a rwd m3... and guess what people will fall for it
sure it’s marketing but the i4 is MUCH cheaper than an M3 so not really a car you would consider in the same category, BUT the i4 will be a very good car in its own right, I don’t think it will handle quite like an M3 or be as quick around a track but if you can’t quite afford to buy or run an M3 buy this .. it’s the closest BMW you’ll get for the money IMO. M car enthusiasts should embrace this for what it is, it’s not an M3/M4 but it’s still a great BMW.
The AWD M3 Competition is under 3 seconds.
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...t-cars-tested/
      12-24-2021, 08:44 PM   #47
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Quote:
This isn't an M car.
The i4M (or whatever they call it) is yet to be released.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 01:23 AM   #48
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
sure it's marketing but the i4 is MUCH cheaper than an M3 so not really a car you would consider in the same category, BUT the i4 will be a very good car in its own right, I don't think it will handle quite like an M3 or be as quick around a track but if you can't quite afford to buy or run an M3 buy this .. it's the closest BMW you'll get for the money IMO. M car enthusiasts should embrace this for what it is, it's not an M3/M4 but it's still a great BMW.
This isn't an M car.
The i4M (or whatever they call it) is yet to be released.
If it's ever released......
      12-25-2021, 04:12 AM   #49
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Couldn't give a rats arse how quick in a straight line any EV is, its still nothing more than an appliance on wheels & of no appeal whatsoever to myself as a driving enthusiast.
As a city shopping trolley or as a commercial heavy vehicle or as public transport…yes certainly.
As a performance vehicle for those that actually enjoy driving…not a chance.
      12-25-2021, 12:28 PM   #50
NKGK20
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M , G80 on

It's a stupid comparison. Trying to push EV.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #51
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

The major difference between EV and ICE powertrains is engagement. EVs are quick and torquey but that's literally all you get. Everything else that an ICE offers in driving enjoyment is absent from the EV experience. For the type of person that only cares about speed and having the fastest vehicle 0-60, performance EVs are right up their ally, but for most auto enthusiasts EVs are a step down everywhere other than in straight-line quickness.
      12-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #52
mbchris
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo S90

Former M2, M3, M4cs owner. I was skeptical of electric cars. Then I bought one on a whim. Then another one.

4 benefits of EV not mentioned above:

1. No need to spend time going to gas stations - plug in at home or office
2. Much easier to drive on the street with linear power, constant torque
3. Environmental aspects/higher efficiency
4. No warmup period for first 3 miles (start and drive)

Downsides not mentioned:
1. More expensive to fix out of warranty
2. Heavier so power to weight needs to be considered (not just headline power)
3. Will chew tires

I found the M cars hard to enjoy on the street. So I got a Miata manual soft top for a daily driver. Have an i4 M50 coming. Will replace Volvo S60 as the in town family hauler. And I have something with 600+ HP gas in plan for the track.

Also in time, development $$$ will go to EVs and gas cars will progress less. We've reached peak gas IMO, and EV tech is just in its first real decade. Ability to adjust power front to rear? Not sure where it will end up. But exciting times.

In the end, there is a choice. And it's good that BMW offers that choice, since obviously in some countries you aren't going to be able to affordably buy a gas car. For me personally, I just like to experience both. Will be telling war stories to the grandkids. I came along just as all cars went to A/C and power windows.

Last edited by mbchris; 12-25-2021 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
EdM54064.50
      12-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #53
TheStanman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I agree that straight line speed is way overrated (unless, of course, one is racing at a track). To me, handling and passing acceleration are at least as important. Instant acceleration gets me up a highway ramp; passing acceleration lets me pass on a steep hill in a passing lane on a normally two lane road with lots of cars pulling trailers.
In modern cars, straight line speed is ubiquitous and handling, engagement, and sound are becoming harder and harder to come by. EVs take that trend to the extreme.

Ironically, BMW has been one of the manufacturers thay has sacrificed driver engagement while prioritizing straight-line speed the most over the past 2 decades. So I think EVs are actually well suited for their current direction and target customer.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 06:21 PM   #54
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchris View Post
Former M2, M3, M4cs owner. I was skeptical of electric cars. Then I bought one on a whim. Then another one.

4 benefits of EV not mentioned above:

1. No need to spend time going to gas stations - plug in at home or office
2. Much easier to drive on the street with linear power, constant torque
3. Environmental aspects/higher efficiency
4. No warmup period for first 3 miles (start and drive)

Downsides not mentioned:
1. More expensive to fix out of warranty
2. Heavier so power to weight needs to be considered (not just headline power)
3. Will chew tires

I found the M cars hard to enjoy on the street. So I got a Miata manual soft top for a daily driver. Have an i4 M50 coming. Will replace Volvo S60 as the in town family hauler. And I have something with 600+ HP gas in plan for the track.

Also in time, development $$$ will go to EVs and gas cars will progress less. We've reached peak gas IMO, and EV tech is just in its first real decade. Not sure where it will end up. But exciting times.

In the end, there is a choice. And it's good that BMW offers that choice, since obviously in some countries you aren't going to be able to drive a gas car. For me personally, I just like to experience both.
Pretty cool, we are in the same boat. My M50 is replacing my M4cs

Checks all boxes, and admittedly my M4cs is a bit much as a daily and I rarely use its potential. I desired something engaging, only to not even enjoy it for what it was designed for.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 06:56 PM   #55
mbchris
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo S90

EV cars are engaging. But not in the same way entirely as gas cars. If you approach them from steering feel, sound, heel toe, yes, they are really bad.

But if you like them for balance of throttle, efficiency, smoothness, technology, packaging, then you will enjoy them. And they still corner pretty darn well. It's like being on a roller coaster - when did you get off one of those and say you wish it wasn't electric?

EVs also don't currently pay for roads (in the USA). So that's not sustainable. They will get taxed. But again, tech could advance to negate that additional cost.

As to those with M cars - please share how you enjoy those on the street, stop and go traffic, without breaking the law. I really have no interest in hooking up a radar detector each time for a 5 mile drive, paying speeding tickets, risking life and limb. My M4CS basically just sat in the garage unless it went to the track or autocross. Nice car to show off in, lots of thumbs up. But not supremely practical or enjoyable legally. Hence the manual Miata. M's are enjoyable 5% of the time I drive. I want to boost that percentage. So Miata, EV, Track car.

Last edited by mbchris; 12-25-2021 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
yousefnjr6157.50
      12-25-2021, 08:16 PM   #56
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

I bet if they tested an M3 Comp xDrive vs i4 M50, the outcome would have been different.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 08:17 PM   #57
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

What most forget here is that in the Netherlands, taxes on ICE are mindblowing. So I can presume that over there BMW is trying to pitch the M50 as a (much) cheaper M car. Price deficit between them is 80% (135k€ versus 73k€).

So yes, when I'd live there, no doubt that I would like to see this clip giving me the comfort of mind that the M50 is a fantastic car to drive (for so much less).
Appreciate 1
EdM54064.50
      12-25-2021, 08:26 PM   #58
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Will replace Volvo S60 as the in town family hauler.
How old/tall are the kids in back?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 11:57 PM   #59
Clefmonster
Word
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 6MT

Why do all these car videos insist on such awful blaring techno music agh
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 08:29 AM   #60
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStanman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I agree that straight line speed is way overrated (unless, of course, one is racing at a track). To me, handling and passing acceleration are at least as important. Instant acceleration gets me up a highway ramp; passing acceleration lets me pass on a steep hill in a passing lane on a normally two lane road with lots of cars pulling trailers.
In modern cars, straight line speed is ubiquitous and handling, engagement, and sound are becoming harder and harder to come by. EVs take that trend to the extreme.

Ironically, BMW has been one of the manufacturers thay has sacrificed driver engagement while prioritizing straight-line speed the most over the past 2 decades. So I think EVs are actually well suited for their current direction and target customer.
As someone that has driven only BMW as my daily driver for 3 decades your comment of BMW prioritizing straight line over handling for 2 decades is anything but accurate.

If.you look at the speeds of both 3 and 5 series platforms around the track.

My E90 was faster that my E36, handled better and stopped better. Was it heavier? Yes but it was a better car.
      12-27-2021, 05:07 AM   #61
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
What most forget here is that in the Netherlands, taxes on ICE are mindblowing. So I can presume that over there BMW is trying to pitch the M50 as a (much) cheaper M car. Price deficit between them is 80% (135k€ versus 73k€).

So yes, when I'd live there, no doubt that I would like to see this clip giving me the comfort of mind that the M50 is a fantastic car to drive (for so much less).
Exactly!
Plus the Netherlands is only slightly larger than the US State of Maryland. So range is not an issue 99% of the time.
Also, costs of road taxes, insurance and 'fuel' are significantly lower. At home, the solar panels will charge my EV.
A proper M-Car? Hell no. But yes a killer proposition considering the tax climate and urban area I'm living.

So after 10+ years of DD M-cars I will switch to the i4 M50.

Btw let's not take this video too seriously. It's just a lame sales video from some local dealership.
KoenG1428.50
      12-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #62
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

torque is nuts in these electrics. I still need to drive that i4 though, pretty hard to pick it over the M3 as far as driving fun but then again I need to drive it before I make the personal decision

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #63
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
EV cars are engaging. But not in the same way entirely as gas cars. If you approach them from steering feel, sound, heel toe, yes, they are really bad.

But if you like them for balance of throttle, efficiency, smoothness, technology, packaging, then you will enjoy them. And they still corner pretty darn well. It's like being on a roller coaster - when did you get off one of those and say you wish it wasn't electric?

EVs also don't currently pay for roads (in the USA). So that's not sustainable. They will get taxed. But again, tech could advance to negate that additional cost.

As to those with M cars - please share how you enjoy those on the street, stop and go traffic, without breaking the law. I really have no interest in hooking up a radar detector each time for a 5 mile drive, paying speeding tickets, risking life and limb. My M4CS basically just sat in the garage unless it went to the track or autocross. Nice car to show off in, lots of thumbs up. But not supremely practical or enjoyable legally. Hence the manual Miata. M's are enjoyable 5% of the time I drive. I want to boost that percentage. So Miata, EV, Track car.
Engaging….. not a word I’d use for a BEV…. and yes, I have one.

Agree 100% on EV road tax… it’s coming sooner than later.

My M3 ZCP was my daily for 3 years…. Plenty of fun running errands, all within the posted speed limits. Granted, I might take the long way home just to experience the twisties a bit more (lived in SW VA - middle of the blue ridge mtns). The Tesla, as good as it is… isn’t a drivers car, IMO. Long live the ICE
      12-28-2021, 12:06 PM   #64
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here in California there is a surcharge on registration so EV pay a share of road tax.
      12-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #65
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASELINE View Post
Gimmicky video.

Can we see this race over a 1/4 mile on dry pavement and with both cars being xdrive? 🙄
Traction is always key and of course road conditions will play their part in the results, I’ve the M5C with x-drive so know how well it can perform but at the same time in less than ideal conditions it too can come unstuck so we might find that in the damp the electric i4’s awd system might still outperform the current x-drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #66
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
torque is nuts in these electrics. I still need to drive that i4 though, pretty hard to pick it over the M3 as far as driving fun but then again I need to drive it before I make the personal decision
I recently drove the i4 40 model, despite the single motor and 340hp the instant torque is quite addictive and this is me who drives an M5C, the i4M50 will feel nuts when you stamp the throttle, the lack of turbo lag and need for dropping gears makes it feel otherworldly.

Just don’t expect the rest of the driving experience to live up to the M3.
Appreciate 1