Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

10-21-2021, 12:47 PM   #1
Acturater
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

What cars did you / are you cross-shopping?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Curious what other cars are / were being considered by those who have ordered / preordered the i4.

I used to own an F80 M3 before selling cause we didn’t need a second car but now we do. I was cross shopping the M440i, Audi S5 SB, and even a loaded up Genesis G70 3.3T (insane value). I like the RS5 and M3 but we don’t have the twisty roads here like I used to when I had the M3 and I already told my life insurer I wouldn’t go tracking anymore. I also really just don’t like teslas or MBs but I know EVs go zoom these days .

Still might go ICE yet but the value prop for i4 seems great, especially with the tax credit here in yankeeland.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acturater View Post
Curious what other cars are / were being considered by those who have ordered / preordered the i4.

I used to own an F80 M3 before selling cause we didn’t need a second car but now we do. I was cross shopping the M440i, Audi S5 SB, and even a loaded up Genesis G70 3.3T (insane value). I like the RS5 and M3 but we don’t have the twisty roads here like I used to when I had the M3 and I already told my life insurer I wouldn’t go tracking anymore. I also really just don’t like teslas or MBs but I know EVs go zoom these days .

Still might go ICE yet but the value prop for i4 seems great, especially with the tax credit here in yankeeland.
No other car right now. I pre-ordered and plan to order and take delivery.
      10-21-2021, 03:32 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Until I have hands-on, sit, etc. in one, and after they build a few for you "first on the block" guys, not ordering yet. Also considering (some not launched yet)...
  • Genesis GV70 EV
  • Cadillac Lyriq
  • Mach E
  • Waiting for iX3
  • Fisker Ocean
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:10 PM   #4
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Until I have hands-on, sit, etc. in one, and after they build a few for you "first on the block" guys, not ordering yet. Also considering (some not launched yet)...
  • Genesis GV70 EV
  • Cadillac Lyriq
  • Mach E
  • Waiting for iX3
  • Fisker Ocean
So you are looking across body types/styles? Both car and crossover/SUV?
      10-21-2021, 07:30 PM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
I find the distinction increasingly blurred. Most of what we call "SUV"s are really just tall unitized body passenger cars. (And, don't get me started on the also meaningless SUV vs CUV! In our work in the industry, I've dropped both terms and just refer generically to UVs (Utility Vehicles)). The vast majority of the current crop of choices come with higher or lower rooflines, but real SUVs are increasingly disappearing if one uses a more traditional definition (body-on-frame, lockable diffs, 4WD, not AWD) beyond being a "two box" design taller than a station wagon.

The common denominator for my needs among these unibody creations is a liftgate/hatchback versus a trunk. That is why Lucid isn't on the list. I'm flexible on roof height, depending on how the vehicle feels, and with batteries in the floorpan, Cg is lower than anything I've ever owned, so should feel quite good in turns. No one is more surprised than me to even consider my first-lifetime ever Cadillac product. But, see the new Car and Driver where the CT5-V bests the M5 and Audi RS7, and much of it is steering feel/response! Someone at Cadillac has figured something out, so a Lyriq may be worth checking out with the benefit of more interior/cargo room.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 09:47 PM   #6
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
I find the distinction increasingly blurred. Most of what we call "SUV"s are really just tall unitized body passenger cars. (And, don't get me started on the also meaningless SUV vs CUV! In our work in the industry, I've dropped both terms and just refer generically to UVs (Utility Vehicles)). The vast majority of the current crop of choices come with higher or lower rooflines, but real SUVs are increasingly disappearing if one uses a more traditional definition (body-on-frame, lockable diffs, 4WD, not AWD) beyond being a "two box" design taller than a station wagon.

The common denominator for my needs among these unibody creations is a liftgate/hatchback versus a trunk. That is why Lucid isn't on the list. I'm flexible on roof height, depending on how the vehicle feels, and with batteries in the floorpan, Cg is lower than anything I've ever owned, so should feel quite good in turns. No one is more surprised than me to even consider my first-lifetime ever Cadillac product. But, see the new Car and Driver where the CT5-V bests the M5 and Audi RS7, and much of it is steering feel/response! Someone at Cadillac has figured something out, so a Lyriq may be worth checking out with the benefit of more interior/cargo room.
Cadillac has come a.long way. CTS-V and now the BlackWing cars are impressive. I like the Lyric. it sold out pretty fast. I prefer cars over UVs, but my wife likes trucks.
      10-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #7
Mike i4 M50
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 REX (Solar Orange)

I ordered an M50 on June 1 (confirmation received on June 8), but am also considering the upcoming Porsche Macan EV and Audi Q4 e-tron. I have a Porsche Boxster S which I love. The dealer gave me a Macan loaner one day and it was great. I drove the Taycan 4S which drove incredibly well, but it's well outside of my price range and I don't really care that much for the exterior styling. The Q4 / iD4 is nice but not as fast or exciting as the i4 or Macan.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6510.00
      10-22-2021, 08:06 AM   #8
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Right now my daily is a Model 3 Performance and my weekend car is a 997 Turbo S. But, my circumstances have changes (and will continue to change).

1. I got the Model 3 because I had anywhere from 100-150 miles / day commute. That's now dropped to 15. I went from driving 500 miles / week to 2,000 miles in 3 months.

2. I don't use the Turbo as much as I'd like. I've got kids in HS and Middle school and it's not super practical for practice pickup, commuting, etc. The roads here in Houston SUCK for enthusiast driving.

3. My wife is desperately clinging to her aging Cayenne because she loves it so much but with 8 years and 102k miles, she knows it'll be replaced soon.

4. My son will be getting his permit in January and driving in a year. And around here, you need a car to get anywhere. 4 cars is one car too many.

So considering all kinds of scenarios. Initially I wanted to combine the Model 3 and 997 into a Taycan however the Taycan has failed to get under my skin. Impressive, but seemingly large and aloof. And kinda cramped inside for such a long vehicle.

So do I keep the Turbo and replace the Tesla (which needs to go because I'm tired of Tesla fanbois and Elon worshippers) and replace with something like a Polestar or MachE GT? Or spend a little more on say an ETronS (not the GT, the SUV) or the BMW? Within a year we'll need to replace my wife's Cayenne and let my son start driving it. So this plan makes more sense.

There are a crap ton of EV's on the cusp of being released. The Macan EV really catches my eye as I really enjoy the current Macan, for what it is. The i4 is appealing, however it is a "stopgap" car not built on a dedicated EV chassis. Neither is the Polestar 2 for that matter. The EV6 GT could be a good choice if I wanted to keep the Turbo though....lower price point but supposedly coming with a crap ton of power.

And then there are the unknowns like the Genesis, the Caddy, etc. Hell, maybe I'll splurge and get an EQS if someone blinds me. The upcoming EQE could be the sweet spot in the Mercedes EQ range too.

So the smart move would be to wait (don't have much choice with the current state of the market) and see how everything pans out. But interesting times afoot if you're a BEV fan..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:11 PM   #9
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Right now my daily is a Model 3 Performance and my weekend car is a 997 Turbo S. But, my circumstances have changes (and will continue to change).
How does your M3P handle at corners/curves compared to 997? Do u have to slow down as the Tesla suspension is not that good?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #10
Acturater
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike i4 M50 View Post
I ordered an M50 on June 1 (confirmation received on June 8), but am also considering the upcoming Porsche Macan EV and Audi Q4 e-tron.
Quote:
Cadillac has come a.long way. CTS-V and now the BlackWing cars are impressive. I like the Lyric. it sold out pretty fast. I prefer cars over UVs, but my wife likes trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
And then there are the unknowns like the Genesis, the Caddy, etc. Hell, maybe I'll splurge and get an EQS if someone blinds me. The upcoming EQE could be the sweet spot in the Mercedes EQ range too.

So the smart move would be to wait (don't have much choice with the current state of the market) and see how everything pans out. But interesting times afoot if you're a BEV fan..
Def potentially lots of options out there. Good to hear the alternatives, I didn’t even realize the Lyriq preorder had come and gone. The automotive landscapes on the cusp of a paradigm shift, whether ICE or BEV.

R u guys buying or leasing? I’m thinking leasing is the way to go, between the changing tech and potentially a breakthrough in solid state batteries. One of our cars is 7yo and will prob drive that one into the ground, but buying in this market 7-10y seems like an eternity and not sure if things have changed too much for that mindset to still work.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acturater View Post
Def potentially lots of options out there. Good to hear the alternatives, I didn’t even realize the Lyriq preorder had come and gone. The automotive landscapes on the cusp of a paradigm shift, whether ICE or BEV.

R u guys buying or leasing? I’m thinking leasing is the way to go, between the changing tech and potentially a breakthrough in solid state batteries. One of our cars is 7yo and will prob drive that one into the ground, but buying in this market 7-10y seems like an eternity and not sure if things have changed too much for that mindset to still work.
Definitely leasing this first time due to known tech advances around the corner, as well as this, for which a three year lease will time out well.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...d-clar-designs
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #12
Mike i4 M50
Private First Class
Rep

I bought my i3 in 2014 rather than lease it, which turned out to be a BAD idea. I traded in a limited edition MINI GP with only 2,000 miles on it. Again, BAD idea.

I was a first adopter and ordered the car before they hit the U.S. market. The lease deals were not that good at first, but then they became quite good after I had already bought mine - go figure. The depreciation on the i3 (my first BMW and second EV) has been horrible....I should have waited and done a lease just like I did with my Nissan LEAF.

So I am going with a 3-year lease on the M50 as the tech is rapidly changing and I won't have to worry about depreciation...

I hope BMW USA will pass on the $7,500 tax credit to those of us who want to lease an I4, but there is a lot of confusion from dealers it seems around getting it from BMW when leasing (versus buying as you must claim the amount when filing your taxes).

Unless you know you are going to keep your i4 for a LONG time and/or put a lot of miles on it.........or you are paying cash, I would avoid buying and suggest a lease.

Last edited by Mike i4 M50; 10-24-2021 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:30 AM   #13
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike i4 M50 View Post
I bought my i3 in 2014 rather than lease it, which turned out to be a BAD idea. I traded in a limited edition MINI GP with only 2,000 miles on it. Again, BAD idea.

I was a first adopter and ordered the car before they hit the U.S. market. The lease deals were not that good at first, but then they became quite good after I had already bought mine - go figure. The depreciation on the i3 (my first BMW and second EV) has been horrible....I should have waited and done a lease just like I did with my Nissan LEAF.

So I am going with a 3-year lease on the M50 as the tech is rapidly changing and I won't have to worry about depreciation...

I hope BMW USA will pass on the $7,500 tax credit to those of us who want to lease an I4, but there is a lot of confusion from dealers it seems around getting it from BMW when leasing (versus buying as you must claim the amount when filing your taxes).

Unless you know you are going to keep your i4 for a LONG time and/or put a lot of miles on it.........or you are paying cash, I would avoid buying and suggest a lease.
The $7500 credit cannot be claimed on your taxes when leasing. The leasing company claims the credit and they would need to discount or reflect that $7500 in the lease.

Only the "owner" can claim the credit and you are not the owner. I had the pass through on a Fiat 500e and my first Chevy Bolt.
      10-25-2021, 09:35 AM   #14
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The $7500 credit cannot be claimed on your taxes when leasing. The leasing company claims the credit and they would need to discount or reflect that $7500 in the lease.

Only the "owner" can claim the credit and you are not the owner. I had the pass through on a Fiat 500e and my first Chevy Bolt.
This past week, I asked a BMW salesperson in the showroom (while waiting for service) about exactly this topic. He said the $7500 is rebated to the consumer and can be applied as a capital cost reduction to the lease. Therefore, no tax credit claim is needed, or indeed, allowed, at that point. BMWFS takes the credit.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #15
Mike i4 M50
Private First Class
Rep

I hope we will be able to use the tax credit when leasing. As I mentioned, BMW dealers here in the U.S. are saying different things and it is unclear on BMWUSA's website whether it will be applicable to leases. It would surely make a sizeable dent in the monthly payment...

I leased a Nissan LEAF and had the $7,500 credit applied (Nissan was the owner). I bought/financed the i3 (I am the owner) and got ~$5,000 back after I filed my annual taxes for 2014.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #16
Acturater
First Lieutenant
Rep

My guess is the dealers know exactly what they’re doing, no confusion other than what legislation passes in the near term. BMWFS is certain to reduce the cap cost by any credit to the extent there’s still a tax credit. The only question is which dealers would effectively mark it up by the same offset. I’d probably run away as fast as I can from any dealers that would do that.
Appreciate 0