BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches

12-20-2021, 10:43 PM   #1321
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

So. I went to my AD today to get my wife's diamond tennis bracelet repaired as she'd broken the safety clasp.

NO Rolex's at all on display anymore due to the potential for theft.

But, since I have a bit of a relationship with one of the sales reps, we were talking about maybe getting my wife one down the road. And then she starts pulling out a few different sizes of Oyster Perpetual's for my wife to try on from below the counter.

We were just chatting about the Sub (no-date, ceramic) that I'd purchased from her a few years ago and whether or not it would be worth "upgrading" to the newest Sub someday-- and then she pulls out a brand-new Sub from the undercounter safe (with a date, but whatever).

We compared side by side. The new movement is supposed to be very nice (+/- 2 sec I think?), and a 70 hour power reserve is nicer than my 48 hour. Other than that? I really couldn't tell much of a difference. The bezel on mine hangs over a tiiiiny bit more, and I could read the lower font on the bottom of the dial a little better. That's it. Not really worth the upgrade, imho.

On the plus side, my wife decided on a green Oyster Perpetual 31 for "when I want to surprise her". My AD said she could probably get one eventually but "everyone" wants the green one.

Figures. That's my wife.

I'll probably put my name on the list-- our 15th Anniversary is coming up in a few years.

R.
Attached Images

12-21-2021, 10:33 AM   #1322
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post
Got "the call" from the AD. Total luck, requested only a few months ago for my 40th and they came through!
Beautiful. I'm really thinking of the two tone rootbeer but I think the BLNR on Jubilee will suit me more.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #1323
AZ-Wildcat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW HS M2C DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Beautiful. I'm really thinking of the two tone rootbeer but I think the BLNR on Jubilee will suit me more.
The Batgirl is a lovely piece! Jubilee is awesome, super comfortable.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #1324
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I considered selling my sub date (2018 model) to a dealer for $13k and looked at a batman he had that looked very new... i told him my watch +3K for this... he said GTFO lol.

Apparently people are dumb enough to now pay $19k for these...
      12-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #1325
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I considered selling my sub date (2018 model) to a dealer for $13k and looked at a batman he had that looked very new... i told him my watch +3K for this... he said GTFO lol.

Apparently people are dumb enough to now pay $19k for these...
There is a price increase coming 1/1/22 supposedly. Could be 8-9% on sports models. That will bump up Subs, GMTs, and Daytonas.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #1326
lake_eleven
Laker
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Have been wondering for sometime - does your love for these watches declining with the advent of smart watches.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #1327
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_eleven View Post
Have been wondering for sometime - does your love for these watches declining with the advent of smart watches.
Absolutely not.

Not a fan of smart watches. Analog all the way.
OM3RTA391.00
      12-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #1328
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
no
i drive a 2008 M3 with manual transmission when there are DCT/DSG/PDK?ABC/XYZ that can shift for me faster than humanly possible
and i want to feel everything on the road
i appreciate the old school mechanical things

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 05:04 PM   #1329
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
People wondered the same thing when quartz came out. If anything, digital watches make people appreciate the mechanical things more. I have an Apple Watch for the gym but whenever I go out, I wear the Seamaster or Submariner.
Appreciate 1
Edwardsc1246.50
      12-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #1330
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

not at all... i have an apple watch and its a totally different experience...

also your apple watch will be worth $25 in a year, will be superseded by something newer and will probably break within 3 years... the Rolex is timeless

I suspect the constant updates that Apple Makes are one strong reason why the serious luxury watchmarkers are staying miles away from the digital watches.
      12-28-2021, 06:49 AM   #1331
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Quote:
Luxury watches were initially intended for two purposes, utility and to make a fashion/exclusivity statement. For the most part, they've relinquished utility to the smartphone/smart watch. Today, I think most of us reach for the phone, rather than the luxury watch (in most settings) to tell time.

Smart watches have infinitely more utility than a luxury watch.

Personally, Just don't see myself reaching for a smart watch if a luxury one is right next to it, which is why I don't own a smart watch, despite the utility that comes with it.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4591.00
      12-28-2021, 07:00 AM   #1332
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Personally, Just don't see myself reaching for a smart watch if a luxury one is right next to it, which is why I don't own a smart watch, despite the utility that comes with it.
I'm somewhat on the fence to owning a smart watch for fear that my timepieces would no longer see the time of day (no pun intended)
Appreciate 1
Buddys550168.50
      12-29-2021, 12:38 AM   #1333
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
I own an Apple Watch and only wear it when I’m swimming and working (golf instructor). I wear all my other watches when I’m not doing either of these activities.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 07:32 PM   #1334
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Sort of toying with picking up a 40mm Air King for a "work" watch.

Thoughts from the Collective?

My AD seems to think it's not completely unreasonable to pick one up without *too* long of a wait.

I've got a ceramic Sub (no date) that I wear as a "Date Night" piece (my wife got it for me for a combination 50th birthday, Captain upgrade, 10th Wedding Anniversary), and I'm "on the list" for a green 31mm Oyster Perpetual for her- although that one might take a year or two.

She originally wanted to get me the Air King instead of the Sub, so I keep coming back to it to replace my Sinn 856 UTC as something to wear at work.

Interested in hearing thoughts about the Air King as it seems to be a bit of an "overlooked" piece.

TIA--

R.
Attached Images

Last edited by flybigjet; 01-08-2022 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
Lady Jane68891.00
      01-08-2022, 09:15 PM   #1335
E92inSG
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
So. I went to my AD today to get my wife's diamond tennis bracelet repaired as she'd broken the safety clasp.

NO Rolex's at all on display anymore due to the potential for theft.

But, since I have a bit of a relationship with one of the sales reps, we were talking about maybe getting my wife one down the road. And then she starts pulling out a few different sizes of Oyster Perpetual's for my wife to try on from below the counter.

We were just chatting about the Sub (no-date, ceramic) that I'd purchased from her a few years ago and whether or not it would be worth "upgrading" to the newest Sub someday-- and then she pulls out a brand-new Sub from the undercounter safe (with a date, but whatever).

We compared side by side. The new movement is supposed to be very nice (+/- 2 sec I think?), and a 70 hour power reserve is nicer than my 48 hour. Other than that? I really couldn't tell much of a difference. The bezel on mine hangs over a tiiiiny bit more, and I could read the lower font on the bottom of the dial a little better. That's it. Not really worth the upgrade, imho.

On the plus side, my wife decided on a green Oyster Perpetual 31 for "when I want to surprise her". My AD said she could probably get one eventually but "everyone" wants the green one.

Figures. That's my wife.

I'll probably put my name on the list-- our 15th Anniversary is coming up in a few years.

R.
Wow. If u had an opportunity to buy a new Sub at retail, just take it 😂
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 09:18 PM   #1336
E92inSG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post
Got "the call" from the AD. Total luck, requested only a few months ago for my 40th and they came through!
Congratulations. This is my favourite watch at the moment and recently lucky to get it at “slightly” above retail used. I’m no VIP to be put on any lists unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 10:49 PM   #1337
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I had a Rolex Airking as well. I still find it very underrated it's probably ther's too many great Rolex models and Airking is not there yet . To me, it should have come with the rotating bezel as plain bezel just looks too simple for a watch of this category .
Overall, a nice watch but not a Submariner
      01-09-2022, 07:04 AM   #1338
Dino GT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

My AD seems to think it's not completely unreasonable to pick one up without *too* long of a wait.

I've got a ceramic Sub (no date) that I wear as a "Date Night" piece (my wife got it for me for a combination 50th birthday, Captain upgrade, 10th Wedding Anniversary), and I'm "on the list" for a green 31mm Oyster Perpetual for her- although that one might take a year or two.

She originally wanted to get me the Air King instead of the Sub, so I keep coming back to it to replace my Sinn 856 UTC as something to wear at work.

Interested in hearing thoughts about the Air King as it seems to be a bit of an "overlooked" piece.

TIA--

R.
It's a nice watch, but the 3,6&9 is not to my liking
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 07:26 AM   #1339
E92inSG
Captain
Rep

I've a thing for the 2 tone sport models lol

3 generations of Subs, all in different configurations

01-10-2022, 08:13 AM   #1340
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Luxury watches were initially intended for two purposes, utility and to make a fashion/exclusivity statement. For the most part, they've relinquished utility to the smartphone/smart watch. Today, I think most of us reach for the phone, rather than the luxury watch (in most settings) to tell time.

Smart watches have infinitely more utility than a luxury watch.

The Apple watch has no style to it. It's a black rectangle on your wrist. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 smartwatch and love it. It's round, I bought a nice anodized black clasp band, and I have so many different faces that I can switch to. I don't like the faces that all of the busy shit, so I just have simple chronomat designs, and simple Roman numeral faces.

I haven't worn my Rolex, Hublot, or any of my other classic luxury watches in over three years.
      01-10-2022, 08:34 AM   #1341
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:

TIA--

R.
I personally don't like this at all, it's too much of a rebadged Milgauss and not enough Airking in it.

I'd rather snap up a older Airking, although you have it's size issue to deal with.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      01-10-2022, 02:17 PM   #1342
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
The Apple watch has no style to it. It's a black rectangle on your wrist. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 smartwatch and love it. It's round, I bought a nice anodized black clasp band, and I have so many different faces that I can switch to. I don't like the faces that all of the busy shit, so I just have simple chronomat designs, and simple Roman numeral faces.

I haven't worn my Rolex, Hublot, or any of my other classic luxury watches in over three years.
Different strokes right? I just cannot give up high fashion. Though I haven't really been wearing my Rolex or Tags either, working from home, not really anywhere to dress up and go lately.
Appreciate 0