BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

11-22-2020, 06:03 AM   #1
racer7
Rep
Drives: tbc

Prices holding? best time to buy?

Hello,

So I've seen some comments in various i8 sources claiming that prices are holding steady and/or rising. With the cease in production that sort of makes sense but with our current economic climate and the i8 in a unique about spot for a car I was wondering if there's still scope for it to bottom out.

If this doesn't seem to be the case then I'll likely look to buy Q1 next year (bringing plans forward). So with that in mind I haven't really been looking seriously until the last few weeks.

Just wondered what the observations of our UK based friends are i.e. over a longer observation period could it be days they are decreasing/increasing/holding?

And, per title, is there ever a good time to buy? (I've never bought from a dealer or at this price point) I'm think black Friday deals, January sales. These type of traditional retail offer price or similar.

In any of these situations is it possible to get perks added that make the car more of a deal then a reduction in the actual price?

Oh. On a side note. Is the LCI not ULEZ/congestion charge/road tax envelope or is it?

Thanks. Hoping to turn the dream to reality. Ideally for less than £60k!

Last edited by racer7; 11-22-2020 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 07:12 AM   #2
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
They seem to have leveled out or risen.

Last year I test drove a CPO car that was $45,000. Searching BMW's CPO site today, I don't see any cars for less than $60,000.

It could be that with the low number of total cars there just aren't any as old/high mileage as the one I test drove, but at the least they seem to no longer be setting records for fastest depreciating car.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
DocDoc
Rep
Drives: I8

I think the bottom has come and gone, prices are creeping up.

They tanked Because BMW where offering a ridiculous amount of support on a new cars not long ago Which has now pretty much dried up.

Very limited number of cars were some in the U.K. A reasonable number have been exported or crashed.

Prices are low in winter at the moment, But I think they will start going up again at the start of the summer.

WBAC Are offering around 4K more on mine now then a year ago.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2020, 02:43 AM   #4
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

My obs in the UK - LCI and 60-75k range of nearly new cars - still falling but gentler. In the first half the year due to lockdown they were falling about 1k a month. Now it's still going but maybe a few hundred pounds for unsold examples.

50-60k - 17-18 plates - slow drops. Bizarrely pre LCI prices even with late registrations (06/18-> 12/18) go for not much off the cheapest LCIs. Possibly due to more desired colours that the LCIs never had. LCIs were made at the end of the cycle, I suspect many of the 'BMW Individuals' were done on Pre-LCI, as buyers had lost their desire to buy when the LCI came along.
40-50k - this has plateaued with 14-17k plates, quite a linear price range here with little movement, possibly a slight increase.
Appreciate 0