jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Double cask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Chivas 18 vs Mac 15? Which Mac 15? There are two - Triple Cask and Double Cask... both are stellar in my mind although the chivas is not bad. As far as the 12's, I havent had anything superior to Macallan... Dalmore 12 coming the closest.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #662
porshah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, R8, Huracan - All topdown

Garage List
Some teenagers...
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
UncleWede17872.50
OHV_441666.50
Hawkeye2069.50
premier3is1627.00
      11-18-2020, 05:28 PM   #663
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Total wine manager just called me and told me that if it’s open they cannot take it back bc they cannot resell it.

I told him I spent about $1200 dollars there since January. He said then you saved a lot .

So my kids will get a treat. I’m going to give it another shot tonight and see if it’s an acquired taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
Really ? It was from total wine.

Never considered it.

I have a bottle of Chivas Regal 18 that blows the Mcallan 15 away for 1/2 the price. I’m thinking the Macallan line is all name. I tasted the 12 at a friends and was unimpressed that’s why I bought the Macallan 15. Perhaps I’ll see if I can trade it up to a JW Blue.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #664
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Total wine manager just called me and told me that if it’s open they cannot take it back bc they cannot resell it.

I told him I spent about $1200 dollars there since January. He said then you saved a lot .

So my kids will get a treat. I’m going to give it another shot tonight and see if it’s an acquired taste.
That sucks. Sorry you’re not able to return. I must have lucked out. Mine was a $30 bottle though.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:55 PM   #665
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:

Quote:
Really ? It was from total wine.

Never considered it.

I have a bottle of Chivas Regal 18 that blows the Mcallan 15 away for 1/2 the price. I’m thinking the Macallan line is all name. I tasted the 12 at a friends and was unimpressed that’s why I bought the Macallan 15. Perhaps I’ll see if I can trade it up to a JW Blue.
Thats weird... Mac DC15 is literally one of my favorite Macs... i think its superb.
      11-19-2020, 05:14 AM   #666
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Maybe I got a bad one? I guess it’s personal taste. The sweet tones described by reviewers leave me baffled. The aftertaste to me is like I smoked a
Cigarette. I’m left with the Overwhelming feeling to go brush my teeth and scrub my tongue lol. Never had this experience before with any scotch and I’ve consumed some cheap stuff.

In all fairness. I’m not a super experienced scotch guy. Came up on Bourbons. Went to dewars, then Chivas, then Jonny walker black, Chivas 18 and then Jonny walker blue. Been with blue a while. I Tried the Macallan 15 bc they were out of JW Blue at total wine in Westbury.

I’m going back to Blue next time I stop into liquor store or Saturday. Whatever comes first.

Thanksgiving I’ll have my 2 boys over that Should kill a bit of the bottle. I’ll just serve it to company until it history.

Looking for a airplane bottle / sample size of Mac 18 and 25 available for purchase. Just curious at this point.

Quote:
Thats weird... Mac DC15 is literally one of my favorite Macs... i think its superb.

Last edited by jsf721; 11-19-2020 at 05:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 07:49 AM   #667
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I got a bad one? I guess it’s personal taste. The sweet tones described by reviewers leave me baffled. The aftertaste to me is like I smoked a
Cigarette. I’m left with the Overwhelming feeling to go brush my teeth and scrub my tongue lol. Never had this experience before with any scotch and I’ve consumed some cheap stuff.

In all fairness. I’m not a super experienced scotch guy. Came up on Bourbons. Went to dewars, then Chivas, then Jonny walker black, Chivas 18 and then Jonny walker blue. Been with blue a while. I Tried the Macallan 15 bc they were out of JW Blue at total wine in Westbury.

I’m going back to Blue next time I stop into liquor store or Saturday. Whatever comes first.

Thanksgiving I’ll have my 2 boys over that Should kill a bit of the bottle. I’ll just serve it to company until it history.

Looking for a airplane bottle / sample size of Mac 18 and 25 available for purchase. Just curious at this point.
Alright - a few things ...

Chivas and JWB are blended whiskeys... they are not single malts... these are different categories of liquor. By default they should be easier to drink because that's a what a blend is... Bourbons are yet different altogether as they are typically sweeter and the smell is completely different. If that's what you are used to, no single malt may work for you.

As far as my opinion on Johnnie Walker... i'll be nice and refrain from saying anything in the first place... but I will hint to the fact that it is one of the lower end blends out there.

Mac 18 and 25 you will never find a sample size of... those are both far too premium and do not compete with anything mentioned before.
Appreciate 2
Joekerr7926.00
jmack548.50
      11-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #668
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:

Chivas and JWB are blended whiskeys... they are not single malts... these are different categories of liquor. By default they should be easier to drink because that's a what a blend is... Bourbons are yet different altogether as they are typically sweeter and the smell is completely different. If that's what you are used to, no single malt may work for you.

As far as my opinion on Johnnie Walker... i'll be nice and refrain from saying anything in the first place... but I will hint to the fact that it is one of the lower end blends out there.

Mac 18 and 25 you will never find a sample size of... those are both far too premium and do not compete with anything mentioned before.
You can buy sample sizes of anything really, just won't find it bottled by Macallan possibly. I will agree that blends and single malts are worlds different, although as I am not a fan of any blends I have tried, I might disagree with the "easier to drink" statement Blends are made to be more consistent across bottlings rather than being easier to drink.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
ASAP10049.50
      11-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #669
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Quote:

You can buy sample sizes of anything really, just won't find it bottled by Macallan possibly. I will agree that blends and single malts are worlds different, although as I am not a fan of any blends I have tried, I might disagree with the "easier to drink" statement Blends are made to be more consistent across bottlings rather than being easier to drink.
Indeed you are correct... but those are special order items only bottled by a 3rd party.

I personally will say that the only standout bourbon I've tried was Angel's envy Rye.

Regular angel's envy is ok at best... woodford, bulleit are total dogs in my opinion. So I am open to top end bourbon suggestions.
      11-19-2020, 08:44 PM   #670
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

I totally get it’s an individual taste. Was just shocked at what I got.
Picked up a blue for the weekend.

I’ll try something else next time I’m at a well stocked bar.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:38 AM   #671
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Macallan is definitely not to my taste, but that 'aftertaste like a cigarette' sounds way off; might want to re-approach the manager that it was a bad bottle (not just that you don't like it); and if he won't budge, find out who the local distributor is and call them. I got a batch of Laphroaig once with bad corks, one of which had visibly molded or corroded. The local distributor was great, swapped me new bottles even for the opened one.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #672
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Indeed you are correct... but those are special order items only bottled by a 3rd party.

I personally will say that the only standout bourbon I've tried was Angel's envy Rye.

Regular angel's envy is ok at best... woodford, bulleit are total dogs in my opinion. So I am open to top end bourbon suggestions.
Yeah, most of the ones you mention are pretty subpar IMO, with the Angels Envy being the best of the three.

I would recommend Michters American Whiskey, Hancocks, Weller OWA, and Old Forester 1910 or 1920 for reliable good tasting American whiskey since not all of those are bourbon.

Some of the better bottles you can get are store picks but they are usually single barrel and can be hit or miss. Most of the Knob Creek store picks are 14-15 yr old, quite delicious, and usually around $40. Those are ones I always pick up and I have only had one that wasn't good.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10049.50
      11-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #673
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

While I may enjoy a blended whisky, nothing compares to a single malt. Just the other night I pulled out the Balvenie doublewood and realized once again how simple it is for me to drink the single malt vs blended whiskys.

Does anyone know a comparable whisky to chivas 12 in a single malt? I enjoy the spice finish to it, wanted to try something similar.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 09:35 PM   #674
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
While I may enjoy a blended whisky, nothing compares to a single malt. Just the other night I pulled out the Balvenie doublewood and realized once again how simple it is for me to drink the single malt vs blended whiskys.

Does anyone know a comparable whisky to chivas 12 in a single malt? I enjoy the spice finish to it, wanted to try something similar.
I feel like Glenmorangie The Original is similar to Chivas Regal 12 (one of my favs that doesn’t cost a lot).
Appreciate 1
premier3is1627.00
      11-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #675
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Balvenie DW is very good... its just super light.

Try the 14 Carribean Cask if you want something with more bite.
Appreciate 1
premier3is1627.00
      11-21-2020, 10:34 AM   #676
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Cracked open a Jonny walker blue last night and I’m a happy camper. Next time I venture off it I’ll be sure to try it at a bar first.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #677
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:

How are the tasting notes on this? Is it creamy at all?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #678
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How are the tasting notes on this? Is it creamy at all?
Not at all... but the taste does seem a bit strong. I really am not the best describer of taste hah
      11-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #679
porshah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, R8, Huracan - All topdown

Garage List
Picked this up over the weekend.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Hawkeye2069.50
jamesinaz1627.00
      11-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #680
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Picked up a few special bottles myself. Starlight is a fantastic store pick, haven't had any of the rye experimental before.
The High west pick is also quite fantastic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
porshah197.00
      11-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #681
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Mamager said bc of covid zero returns. Open or not. Period.

Gave me the Macallan nyc rollover number to call the UK. They said they don’t have any quality issues. If they did they catch them before shipment.

They don’t offer any solution and didn’t seem to really give a hoot. Told me to add water lol.

Got an email later from the Macallan and they said that they see I called and that a rep resolved my issue. I wrote back no they did not. Go a thank you for your feedback and that’s it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Macallan is definitely not to my taste, but that 'aftertaste like a cigarette' sounds way off; might want to re-approach the manager that it was a bad bottle (not just that you don't like it); and if he won't budge, find out who the local distributor is and call them. I got a batch of Laphroaig once with bad corks, one of which had visibly molded or corroded. The local distributor was great, swapped me new bottles even for the opened one.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #682
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Bummer, but worth a try - not much I hate worse than those automated 'thanks for your feedback, glad we could answer your Q' responses when they actually did not. Perhaps they think their reputation is so grand they don't need customer service (distributors are giving away bling and free samples all day long, no reason for them to act like it is putting them out to comp you a different bottle at least). FWIW, my first 2 bottles of single malt were Laphroaig and Macallen - the Macallen lasted 3 1/2 years and ended up in some black-tooth grins, while I went out and tried every Laphroaig I could get my hands on.
Appreciate 0