Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-17-2020, 03:56 PM   #45
JayR_e92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 6MT e92 M3.

Agreed, seems like a pretty good deal. That condition is exactly what I'm looking for. Had a short FaceTime call with the owner last week as well to get a closer look at the paint, in photos is looks near flawless and as another member stated there's got to be more to the story than the photos show. The paint has some small acid rain marks throughout that are only visible up close and under the right lighting but the owner of the dealership did a really good job of showing me on the FaceTime call and capturing for me. Not the biggest deal imo more concerned with dents/scratches and mechanical condition.

Question: is 100-120k considered low mileage on an E46 M3 with only two owners? In your opinion. I realize "low mileage" is relative to opinion I'm just curious what the rest of the community thinks. To me, any e36/46 with under 100k is considered low mileage. And even 100-130ish I consider lower but it's on the verge of not being able to put "low miles" in the title if were me
Titanium silver E46 M3 (OEM project) current
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #46
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR_e92 View Post
Agreed, seems like a pretty good deal. That condition is exactly what I'm looking for. Had a short FaceTime call with the owner last week as well to get a closer look at the paint, in photos is looks near flawless and as another member stated there's got to be more to the story than the photos show. The paint has some small acid rain marks throughout that are only visible up close and under the right lighting but the owner of the dealership did a really good job of showing me on the FaceTime call and capturing for me. Not the biggest deal imo more concerned with dents/scratches and mechanical condition.

Question: is 100-120k considered low mileage on an E46 M3 with only two owners? In your opinion. I realize "low mileage" is relative to opinion I'm just curious what the rest of the community thinks. To me, any e36/46 with under 100k is considered low mileage. And even 100-130ish I consider lower but it's on the verge of not being able to put "low miles" in the title if were me
I would consider something like 50-60k low mileage, but as you said, it's completely subjective.

At 100k, depending on the car's history, it'll need an overhaul, if age hasn't already compromised some of the parts. But keep mind 120k on an E36 engine and E46 are 2 completely different worlds. At 120k, the S54 should have already been bulletproof otherwise you're taking a big gamble (VANOS, rod bearings, timing chain guide...). E36 on the other hand does not require as much work to the engine.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
JayR_e92232.50
      11-17-2020, 06:57 PM   #47
JayR_e92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:

I would consider something like 50-60k low mileage, but as you said, it's completely subjective.

At 100k, depending on the car's history, it'll need an overhaul, if age hasn't already compromised some of the parts. But keep mind 120k on an E36 engine and E46 are 2 completely different worlds. At 120k, the S54 should have already been bulletproof otherwise you're taking a big gamble (VANOS, rod bearings, timing chain guide...). E36 on the other hand does not require as much work to the engine.
Yep, see that right there is exactly what I battle with and go back in forth in in my mind. If I were to purchase the E 46 M3 that is here locally, it is an '02 and 2 owners and 102,000 miles on the clock. For the year of course this is low mileage but overall it still has 100 K miles on it, the very first thing that would need to be done is rod bearings subframe and Vanos. My only concern is if I do all of that bulletproofing - own the car for a few years and put another 20,000 or 25,000 miles on it and then I want to sell it again will I make most of my money back or is that too high of mileage for me to sell it for close to what I bought it for. It's hard to say because it's hard to predict where the market will be but it's looking strong and especially with that bulletproofing would only help, my only question would be what would buyers think of 125,000 miles if it was still super clean and was bulletproofed. Trying not to base my purchase solely on whether or not I can get a good amount for it later but you do have to consider it at least I like to because it's nice to be able to get most of your money back and have enjoyed a car, that's not always the case but it definitely can be done if you buy the right car.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #48
JayR_e92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ideally if I buy a car between 20 K to 25K, would prefer it to be something clean and nice enough with good history and low enough miles that if I decide to sell it three or five years down the road I could sell it at least for what I bought it for if it doesn't go up in value even more.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #49
JayR_e92
First Lieutenant
Rep

What I would like to avoid is spending 20K on one that is at the peak of its market value and I own for say about 5 years and put very little miles on it But because the car was already at 100,000 miles when I bought it I end up having to sell it later for 15 K or less. I realize that is not the end of the world for sure but it can be done if you purchase the right one within that sweet spot.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #50
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
What I would like to avoid is spending 20K on one that is at the peak of its market value and I own for say about 5 years and put very little miles on it But because the car was already at 100,000 miles when I bought it I end up having to sell it later for 15 K or less. I realize that is not the end of the world for sure but it can be done if you purchase the right one within that sweet spot.
Can't help you too much in terms of what's right for you. I cannot predict what the market will do, but you're not going to lose $15k out of $20-25k, that I'm at least confident in.

To be honest, I think you need to not just focus on price but what you really want. Are you adding this car to your E90 M3? The reason I personally added the E36 m3 to the E92 M3 is because I wanted a more back to basics car than the E46 M3, nor did I want to deal with all the issues. I just wanted cars on more opposite ends of the spectrum.

If I had to guess, a really expensive E36 M3 (ie 20-25k) "should" hold its value well because that means it'll be really low mileage (ie under 80k miles let's say). Those just don't pop up very often due to cars age and how they were used. E36 got so cheap that they were just passed around and neglected.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
tigermack466.00
      11-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #51
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

tough call on rebuild...crazy you can get a low mileage 235i under $25K. Hell even a few CPO's left...its not "old" school but more car for the money.

I have a E46, I get it, but if you are tracking, not a bad place to start. (I have both)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 11:44 AM   #52
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

pretty clean, ok mileage

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Appreciate 1
JayR_e92232.50
      11-19-2020, 12:33 AM   #53
JayR_e92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:
Can't help you too much in terms of what's right for you. I cannot predict what the market will do, but you're not going to lose $15k out of $20-25k, that I'm at least confident in.

To be honest, I think you need to not just focus on price but what you really want. Are you adding this car to your E90 M3? The reason I personally added the E36 m3 to the E92 M3 is because I wanted a more back to basics car than the E46 M3, nor did I want to deal with all the issues. I just wanted cars on more opposite ends of the spectrum.

If I had to guess, a really expensive E36 M3 (ie 20-25k) "should" hold its value well because that means it'll be really low mileage (ie under 80k miles let's say). Those just don't pop up very often due to cars age and how they were used. E36 got so cheap that they were just passed around and neglected.
I agree definitely need to decide decide which route I want to take for sure. It honestly depends on what becomes available first. I do know for a fact it's between the e36/e46 M3 and highly considering an e39 m5. The e92 sold this summer. I love the e92, but wanted to experience exactly what you stated the classic and raw driving experience of an older M car. I don't race, never tracked - every M car I've owned has been a weekend car that I would occasionally drive during the week (not everyday), and mainly served as a fun car for cruising on the weekends with lady or a friend. Have only ever lightly modded them such as lowering them maybe an inch or two, intake and exhaust. I plan to do the same with the next M but want to also try MAYBE 1-3 track events just for a little bit of fun, nothing too serious. Maybe upgrade to a good street/track pad, intake exhaust and nice coils with nice wheels. Maintenance always done on time, focused on keeping the car looking super clean and well maintained. I've never been one to beat on cars bc I know that can become very expensive very fast, plus I prefer a healthy oem+ car over a track missile. If that helps kind of explain where I'm at with this search for a car
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 07:50 AM   #54
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
For the most part, cars are depreciating assets. Yeah, an M car can hold it's value, but that's not to say you will make money on it considering what it costs to maintain it, insurance, etc. Buy the car because it's something you enjoy and want to drive. If you plan on buying it in the hopes of keeping it parked in a garage and selling it a few years down the road to make $5,000 then you are usually wasting your time.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #55
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
if i had cash sitting around i would buy in Ok condition.
E36 M3 violet
Nsx old gen ('91-'05) red or grey

Regardless cars are money pit, but the joy and pride of having your favorite toy is priceless.
Appreciate 1
JayR_e92232.50
      11-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #56
JayR_e92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
For the most part, cars are depreciating assets. Yeah, an M car can hold it's value, but that's not to say you will make money on it considering what it costs to maintain it, insurance, etc. Buy the car because it's something you enjoy and want to drive. If you plan on buying it in the hopes of keeping it parked in a garage and selling it a few years down the road to make $5,000 then you are usually wasting your time.
Right

As I mentioned in previous comments this car's purpose will serve as mainly a weekend car, spirited backroad drives, lightly modded wheels/exhaust etc and possibly try a couple track events. I do not abuse or molest my cars by any means but they also never sit in the garage for long periods of time.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #57
essejM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
I disagree. If I would have bought an E30 when I bought my E36 it would be worth 5 times what I would have paid for it. My E36 had I not made it into a racecar would have been worth what I paid for it right now and only continuing to appreciate (and I bought that at a pretty high point in the used market). Just have to get lucky and buy one at their lowest depreciating point.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #58
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by essejM3 View Post
I disagree. If I would have bought an E30 when I bought my E36 it would be worth 5 times what I would have paid for it. My E36 had I not made it into a racecar would have been worth what I paid for it right now and only continuing to appreciate (and I bought that at a pretty high point in the used market). Just have to get lucky and buy one at their lowest depreciating point.
Well obviously, but do you buy cars just to park in your garage and not use hoping the value goes up? Even if you never move it, things will deteriorate and it will still need maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 03:03 PM   #59
essejM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Well obviously, but do you buy cars just to park in your garage and not use hoping the value goes up? Even if you never move it, things will deteriorate and it will still need maintenance.
Lol if I would have known then what I typed, I absolutely would have. Take them for a Sunday drive here and there, putting minimal mileage on them. I'd sign up for that all day long
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #60
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by essejM3 View Post
Yeah, even prettier color in person. Daytona Violet, and Estoril Blue E36's will hold their value better then the generic colors IMO.
Never was a fan of Estoril blue. Now a clean 95 in Avus blue with cinnamon (or even black) interior with Vader seats does get my attention.
Appreciate 1
essejM360.50
      11-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #61
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
I might put mine up for sale. I have a business venture and I might go for it.
Appreciate 1
JayR_e92232.50
      11-22-2020, 03:34 AM   #62
JayR_e92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
I might put mine up for sale. I have a business venture and I might go for it.

Please shoot me a pm if you decide to. Still on the search 🤙🏽
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #63
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Please shoot me a pm if you decide to. Still on the search 🤙🏽
PMed you
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #64
JayR_e92
First Lieutenant
Rep

Little update:

Picked up an E46 M3 this week!! I appreciate everyone's input and advice on the E36, in the end after numerous test drives and going state to state to see different cars I finally decided on one that was local to me.

I appreciate y'all 🙏🏽
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
jmack548.50
tigermack466.00
3798j11174.50
      12-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #65
aaa335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep