Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches

View Poll Results: Which watch maker's design do you like best?
A. Lange & Sonne 18 7.69%
Audemars Piguet 37 15.81%
Bedat 0 0%
Bell & Ross 20 8.55%
Blancpain 6 2.56%
Breguet 4 1.71%
Breitling 63 26.92%
Cartier 19 8.12%
Chopard 7 2.99%
Concord 2 0.85%
Corum 4 1.71%
Frank Muller 6 2.56%
Hublot 40 17.09%
Patek Philippe 39 16.67%
Panerai 59 25.21%
Omega 64 27.35%
Ulysse Nardin 14 5.98%
Vacheron Constantin 7 2.99%
Timex 6 2.56%
Hamilton 10 4.27%
Citizen 14 5.98%
Seiko 8 3.42%
Movado 10 4.27%
Rolex 82 35.04%
Krieger 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

07-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #23
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
I think that's an extreme exaggeration, but that's the price you pay for asking for opinions...
I only wanted opinions on the stuff that is listed. I don't what made folks have so much to say about what isn't.

But I guess you're right....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #24
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
calm down people. op is just trying to troll tag fans.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #25
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I only wanted opinions on the stuff that is listed.
Oh... That wasn't clear to me.

Sorry.
      07-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #26
MandMs335Msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i M-sport, '10, etc

I think I get it, but why is Timex listed? At any rate, it looks like Tag won!

Mark
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #27
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Oh... That wasn't clear to me.

Sorry.
NP

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #28
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandMs335Msport View Post
I think I get it, but why is Timex listed? At any rate, it looks like Tag won!

Mark
There're no winners or losers. I was just curious.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #29
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
calm down people. op is just trying to troll tag fans.
How much can that be so? I already said I own a couple Tags myself.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #30
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Missed my favorite, Harry Winston, my other votes are ones I really like though, and of course the daily wear nod to a sensible Citizen. Doesn't shout, doesn't say anything about you, tells the time.
      07-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #31
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Oh didn't realize This had turned into a TAG discussion. Screw TAG, it's as big a douche lure brand as BMW and Rolex.

This is how you troll...

Seriously though, watch the TAG crowd and see how important it is that you know they are wearing a TAG. = douchenozzle.

Nah, just trolling.... No opinion about TAG, thought the belt drive was awesome though.
      07-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #32
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
I didn't, so, yes then, Tag has an original design. And I think their Grand Carrera watch is a bit unique. I don't have anything against Tag. As I said, I have a Tag, two actually. They are nice watches. I just didn't include them on the list. I don't see them as being at the forefront of design and style. It's nothing more than that.
I agree. I would gladly wear a nice citizen over a Tag any day. There is nothing special about them.

Just another opinion.
      07-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #33
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

It's astounding to me that there's a whole cadre of folks hemming and hawing about Tag, but at least one very noteworthy brand, JLC, is also not on my list. Another notable omission is Piaget. Yet, I haven't seen one devotee of either of those brands make a fuss over it. Fans of Franck Muller didn't fuss over my misspelling the brand's name either. Why might that be? I suggest that it's because neither those folks, nor the watch brands, need validation from a list on B-post. They know the watch they favor is among the finest in the world and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it. Ditto Oris, which fittingly enough has a connection with BMW.

In short, there are plenty of watches that actually deserve to be championed, particularly those from some generally unknown independent watch makers, to say nothing of the greats like JLC, Piaget, Glashutte, and others. I don't mind that folks are singing Tag's praises, deserved or not (it's not really my place or desire to say), what I do mind is them telling me there's something wrong with my list because Tag's not on it. The ones there are the ones I was curious about.

The reason for my curiosity was to find out what young people -- and most folks that participate on B-post are young to me -- think about the watches I listed. My kids are all approaching a graduation of one sort or other and as this forum is my sole "contact" with a large number of younger folks (18-25 year olds), I wanted to see what such folks thought of the brands I listed for a couple of them are brands I'm considering as graduation gifts.

Tag isn't one I'm going to buy, regardless of what folks thought. My daughter already has said she wants a Reverso, so that's likely what she'll get (not it gold, but it'll still be a Reverso). I don't care what folks think about the Reverso; I approve of her choice and I like that watch too, so much so that I may buy one for myself also. My middle child will finish a year behind my daughter and it was mostly for his benefit that I created the list.

Thanks all for your contributions apologies for not stating my intention at the outset. I really just wanted the votes.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #34
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I agree. I would gladly wear a nice citizen over a Tag any day. There is nothing special about them.

Just another opinion.
I don't think there's much special about Tag either. They tell time well and they may appeal to folks visually. Certainly a couple did to me. But as I noted above, I wasn't aware of the Monaco, and it does have some measure of merit, both style wise and technologically. It doesn't appeal to me, but I have no issue with giving the Devil his due: it's a nifty watch. I don't know too much about it, but like belts on everything else, I suspect they will wear out, and do so sooner than the cogs that control other watches. That's just a supposition; I haven't any data showing whether that's actually what one should expect.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #35
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks all for your contributions apologies for not stating my intention at the outset. I really just wanted the votes.
I don't really have any interest in fancy watches, but it definitely would've helped to make your intention clear from the beginning. At least change the title to "Curious about brands that I like the most" haha.

Good luck with your daughter. I just googled Reverso, and those things cost more than all my personal apparel and accessories combined. Wow I'm sure she'll really appreciate that!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #36
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't really have any interest in fancy watches, but it definitely would've helped to make your intention clear from the beginning. At least change the title to "Curious about brands that I like the most" haha.

Good luck with your daughter. I just googled Reverso, and those things cost more than all my personal apparel and accessories combined. Wow I'm sure she'll really appreciate that!
TY for your comments.

I'm sure she'll love it and it will be a good watch that will serve her well for whatever she may need a watch for. I didn't want to get my kids nice watches until after college so that I have a surer sense of whether the career they pursue will be one in which a fine time piece is appropriate or whether they would be better served by something more mundane. After all nobody needs a great watch if they are mostly going to sit behind a desk somewhere in the bowels of a government office. Nothing wrong with that as a job, but a $6K watch is hardly what one needs with such a position.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #37
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
I don't think anyone really needs a $6k watch. If you and your daughter like and really appreciate watches, don't worry about her job and just go ham. I know this isn't true in many industries, but apparel shouldn't be tied to your career. Dress to express, not impress. But I guess that's just my laid back San Francisco attitude. We don't have dress codes for anything haha. I go to meetings, nightclubs, Michelin starred restaurants with a goofy calculator watch, and everyone's very accepting. It's pretty great.

Last edited by i dunno; 07-16-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #38
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think anyone really needs a $6k watch. ...
Yes, nobody needs a $6K watch. Just as nobody needs a BMW. Both are indulgences. But at least one doesn't look out of place wearing one at Goldman. Strolling into the local DMV offices to give customers the next waiting ticket number wearing one would look a bit silly, though, IMO.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #39
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

For their position?

Is the watch for them or just to impress others?

I wear a watch of similar caliber every day, and I am just a lowly mechanic. Guess I should be wearing a knock off instead?!?!

I bought it for me. I really don't care what others think about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #40
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
For their position?

Is the watch for them or just to impress others?

I wear a watch of similar caliber every day, and I am just a lowly mechanic. Guess I should be wearing a knock off instead?!?!

I bought it for me. I really don't care what others think about it.
I just feel that public servants at that level should be a bit less flashy at work. I don't really want to think my tax dollars can afford one a $6K watch. I don't care if the person wearing it inherited it. It's just the perception.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #41
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

If people ask me about it, I tell them it's a knock-off.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #42
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

I think Patek is pretty much classic and will never go out of style, yet doesn't scream "nouveau riche" or trying too hard.

Of course, what's on my wrist any given day is Seiko, Longines, Omega, Marathon, or Vostok... (Seiko 007 actually gets the most wrist time; probably Marathon next.) All of 'em together wouldn't get me an "entry level" Patek...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #43
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, nobody needs a $6K watch. Just as nobody needs a BMW. Both are indulgences. But at least one doesn't look out of place wearing one at Goldman. Strolling into the local DMV offices to give customers the next waiting ticket number wearing one would look a bit silly, though, IMO.
I wasn't saying you shouldn't buy a $6k watch. Just wear what you like no matter how pedestrian or lavish it is. Whatever your job is, what other people think of your style shouldn't matter.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #44
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post

Just another opinion.
Tag has a lot of history unlike Citizen. Not that Citizen doesn't have it's share of history and innovation (Eco Drive). Tag has had many innovations in the watch making world. Specifically in the automotive racing industry. Which if I am correct this is an automotive forum. I would think one would like anything that has to do with automotive history, like TAG Heuer. To often people forget that a watch used to be a necessity for individuals in certain industries. Hamilton is a good example of a company with history. Hamilton was a leader in an industry that time keeping was crucial. They played a huge role in the railroad system, and for you history nuts the railroad system was a huge factor in our time zones. When I'm looking into a watch company I look at the history that they have made and the innovations that have brought into the watch making.
Appreciate 0