Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

07-14-2021, 12:34 AM   #45
Chrisss_GER
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

The german configurator is now available:

Link

What I find a bit strange is that the lower bumper at the rear is gray. This was always black in the visualizations on the BMW site.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
fsfikke13.50
      07-14-2021, 01:08 AM   #46
Chrisss_GER
Private
Germany
Rep

What is really very interesting, BMW adjusts the range and consumption for the different wheel / tire combinations directly in the configurator.
The 20-inch models have a very high loss of range, even if they look the most beautiful of all. That is almost 100km loss of range compared to the 19 inchers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 02:13 AM   #47
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Well that is the thing with 20 inch wheels they really do affect the range due to the larger tire width

As you can see on the picture the one below is with the larger tires. And as with more friction comes more consumption i do belive if you put 18 inch on this one during winter time as we have in Sweden it will probably be close to 500+ km range.

And this one with the smaller tires.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 02:31 AM   #48
Chrisss_GER
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
Well that is the thing with 20 inch wheels they really do affect the range due to the larger tire width

As you can see on the picture the one below is with the larger tires. And as with more friction comes more consumption i do belive if you put 18 inch on this one during winter time as we have in Sweden it will probably be close to 500+ km range.

And this one with the smaller tires.

Yeah true
The 19 inch wheels have 245 tires at the front and 255 tires at the rear
The 20 inch wheels have 255 tires at the front and 285 tires at the rear
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 06:55 AM   #49
zilla91
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

UK configurator is up. This would be my ideal spec for a company car https://configure.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/configid/ch3730vz
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 07:53 AM   #50
Neilsafc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla91 View Post
UK configurator is up. This would be my ideal spec for a company car https://configure.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/configid/ch3730vz
Thanks for sharing. I've pre ordered the M50 and was going to go with the 20 inch alloys but the 50 mile range loss is massive. I'm undecided now.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 08:17 AM   #51
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla91 View Post
Not far off a M50 with the extra options, think from the paint options it's either the Brooklyn grey or Sanremo green for me.

For sure the 20" alloys are out, can't lose 20% range for some wheels, regardless of how nice they look
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 08:37 AM   #52
zilla91
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I'd go with Sanremo green too but unfortunately the light blue highlight on the BMW roundels really clashes with it

Price wise you'd hope to knock around 10k off the list price.

M50 is a no-go, ultimately range trumps straight line performance for a company car

Edit: Speaking of the light blue highlight, I wish there was an option to remove all of it from the outside and the interior. That gear selector looks bloody awful.

Last edited by zilla91; 07-14-2021 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #53
GMnil
GMnil
Scotland
Rep
Drives: latest Skoda Enyaq IV80

Looking to orderr the I4-40 but not sure which spec to go for Sport or M Sport. Sunset Orange appeals to me and 'she who must be obeyed'.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 04:14 AM   #54
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilsafc View Post
Thanks for sharing. I've pre ordered the M50 and was going to go with the 20 inch alloys but the 50 mile range loss is massive. I'm undecided now.
Wonder if the range decrease is not just the wheels... the UK configurator 20" wheel selection triggers the addition of the "M Technology Pack":

"The M Technology Pack features increased heat capacity of the braking system and the cooling system that guarantees a long-lasting high performance under extreme driving conditions (similar to motorsport) (especially in combination with high outside temperatures). Includes upgrades for the drive train cooling system and the M Sport braking system.

Available with 20" 868 M Double-spoke Bi-colour alloy wheels."

Not sure if that is a cut and paste error from ICE model M Technology Pack.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 04:23 AM   #55
nomerlot
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW i3

Sunset Orange looks great... wish I could have got my i3 in such a colour. I believe orange was available originally but not on the latest revision.

In a couple of years I think I will be deliberating between keeping the i3 or getting this, as much as it pains me to get a car that weighs nearly a tonne more... it is a lot more car in more ways than just the weight!

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 04:33 AM   #56
nomerlot
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMnil View Post
Looking to orderr the I4-40 but not sure which spec to go for Sport or M Sport. Sunset Orange appeals to me and 'she who must be obeyed'.
I think the sport (left) suits the 40 better than M sport (right) ... the rear bumper on the M sport looks a little OTT especially on a colour other than grey/black such as the very appealing Orange.

Cleaner lines and by the looks of things not a glossy finish which is better too.

Having said that as posted back a few posts there seems to be conflicting info on the colour of these panels at the moment - I don't think the configurator is quite finished as evidenced by the wheel offsets being all over the place.

On the M50 it's a different story but on the 40 I think Sport is better suited.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #57
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomerlot View Post
I think the sport (left) suits the 40 better than M sport (right) ... the rear bumper on the M sport looks a little OTT especially on a colour other than grey/black such as the very appealing Orange.

On the M50 it's a different story but on the 40 I think Sport is better suited.
Sunset Orange will also be my color, creating a close match with my Valencia Orange 2 Series. The rear fascia on the right looks a bit odd to me, no matter to what model it will be attached. But, it's on the back, so really more of a concern for the driver behind me than for me. However, it will be well worth it to me to get the MSport package to be rid of the blue (versus dark gray) accents on the side, as well as the bright trim on the grille and window surround.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 07-29-2021 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 10:16 AM   #58
nomerlot
United Kingdom
Rep

I think the side accent colour is determined by the paint colour you choose (orange has grey side trim and no blue on the grille either, for example)

It is still a silver grill though, you do need M sport to change that (or an easy enough change after delivery I guess!)

edit to add: on UK configurator, black and whites have blue side trim, green orange and grey have grey trim.

Last edited by nomerlot; 07-29-2021 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 10:33 AM   #59
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think the side accent colour is determined by the paint colour you choose (orange has grey side trim and no blue on the grille either, for example)

It is still a silver grill though, you do need M sport to change that (or an easy enough change after delivery I guess!)

edit to add: on UK configurator, black and whites have blue side trim, green orange and grey have grey trim.
On the Canadian configurator, the side trim color goes with the package. MSport is dark grey and the base car (Sport) has blue.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 10:41 AM   #60
nomerlot
United Kingdom
Rep

I guess different markets will have variations.. it appears there is a similar choice of blue vs grey on the Sport model still (screenshots from Canada site attached of the colours available on Sport blue/grey and M Sport).

With the i3 there were set colour combos and I guess it will be similar with the i4. The blue trim didn't tend to get paired with colours (i.e. non white-grey-black colours) I guess to avoid the risk of clashing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:13 PM   #61
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I guess different markets will have variations.. it appears there is a similar choice of blue vs grey on the Sport model still (screenshots from Canada site attached of the colours available on Sport blue/grey and M Sport).

With the i3 there were set colour combos and I guess it will be similar with the i4. The blue trim didn't tend to get paired with colours (i.e. non white-grey-black colours) I guess to avoid the risk of clashing.
This seems to have evolved since I took an early look when there were just two choices....Sport with blue or MSport with grey. Nice to have more choice, but I would still need to be rid of that bright grille. Will be interested to see what is offered when the US site finally launches. I don't want to be among the first builds in any event. 6-12 months of experience minimum before I want one built for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 08:26 PM   #62
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-M007 View Post
BMW will NOT Pass the $7,500 Federal Tax Credits and Incentives for New All-Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles to the customers.

If you are planning to lease a new BMW iX, i4, X3 30e, X5 45e, 330e, and 530e BMW will NOT allow you to apply for the federal tax credits. Instead, BMW will apply for those credits and keep the money.
Could you please share your source?
BMWFS told me the opposite on a phone call.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 08:28 PM   #63
John-M007
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
BMW will NOT Pass the $7,500 Federal Tax Credits and Incentives for New All-Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles to the customers.

If you are planning to lease a new BMW iX, i4, X3 30e, X5 45e, 330e, and 530e BMW will NOT allow you to apply for the federal tax credits. Instead, BMW will apply for those credits and keep the money.
Could you please share your source?
BMWFS told me the opposite on a phone call.
Authorized BMW dealers. If you lease they will not give you your share of $7,500 tax credit nor will you be allowed to apply. You might want to talk to the BMWFS supervisor.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 08:32 PM   #64
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Authorized BMW dealers. If you lease they will not give you your share of $7,500 tax credit nor will you be allowed to apply. You might want to talk to the BMWFS supervisor.
That's who confirmed it. The first BMWFS agent who answered was unsure. I would believe BMWFS long before I would believe any dealers. But, who knows, at the time, things could change. But, I will recontact BMWFS when I decide to order to find/reconfirm the correct answer at that point. Wouldn't be the first time I had to inform a dealer about facts. Meanwhile, try it yourself...forget dealers and call BMWFS and see what answer you get.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 08:37 PM   #65
John-M007
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
That's who confirmed it. The first BMWFS agent who answered was unsure. I would believe BMWFS long before I would believe any dealers. But, who knows, at the time, things could change. But, I will recontact BMWFS when I decide to order to find/reconfirm the correct answer at that point. Wouldn't be the first time I had to inform a dealer about facts. Meanwhile, try it yourself...forget dealers and call BMWFS and see what answer you get.
Currently, the dealers are processing all the X5 45e, 330e, 530e, and X3 30e. If you lease, BMWFS will not give you the $7,500 tax credit nor you be able to apply for it. Several managers at the several dealers told me BMWFS will not pass your tax credit to you. They are frustrated because people are getting smart and pulling out.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 09:03 PM   #66
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Currently, the dealers are processing all the X5 45e, 330e, 530e, and X3 30e. If you lease, BMWFS will not give you the $7,500 tax credit nor you be able to apply for it. Several managers at the several dealers told me BMWFS will not pass your tax credit to you. They are frustrated because people are getting smart and pulling out.
If that is the reality, I would probably demur as well. Just to share more detail on what I was told. Because BMWFS is the legal buyer/owner, they cannot assign the tax credit to anyone else. Instead, I was told, the $7500 would be credited against the vehicle price and BMWFS would continue to claim the credit on their corporate tax return. If that is the case, and if it is true as I was told, I would not be surprised that ignorance and/or deception was happening on the showroom floor. The dealers may have found a way to withhold the credit and not roll it into the deal at their discretion as the independent franchisee. I've experienced enough of both of those with salespeople to consider it a reasonable possibility in this case. With nothing to lose, I still advise calling BMWFS to confirm the policy before heading to a showroom. There's no downside to doing so.
Appreciate 0