Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post
Are you within the statute of limitations? If not, how does one get around that provision?
Under California's Lemon Law the limitation period is the period of the new car warranty. The statute is a bit dense, so here's an explanation by the California AG: https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/cars
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 1
YWGT3362.50
      11-11-2017, 10:04 PM   #24
mazdaki
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

The trunk in my i8 would not open!

The trunk in my I8 clicks and states that is open but would not open up... I have tried pressure, pull and tug ... nothing seems to work... any other suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #25
mazdaki
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

yes, the trunk in my i8 states that is open but will not open...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 12:58 AM   #26
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Push down on it where it locks and then wait a few minutes.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #27
jojo
Private
Rep
Drives: 1989 M3

This also happened to me. But it was night time and I can see the trunk light still on. I assumed the car thought it was not closed as the trunk open sign was on in the dash. I went over a few speed bumps to dislodge it and then it opened.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #28
Groundhog
Private
Rep
Drives: R-compounded

There is a release behind the bumper near the license plate.

I had my luggage held ransom for a few days.

BMW Tech said they had to put on a lift and reach behind the bumper. I'll bet there is a plate with a cable like on either side of the doors for the frunk, but it's probably a security risk that they don't want people to know about for the obvious reasons.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #29
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
There is a release behind the bumper near the license plate.

I had my luggage held ransom for a few days.

BMW Tech said they had to put on a lift and reach behind the bumper. I'll bet there is a plate with a cable like on either side of the doors for the frunk, but it's probably a security risk that they don't want people to know about for the obvious reasons.
BMW parts catalogue shows a "Bowden Cable" (no. 4) and "Handle" (no. 5).

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/I1...closing_system

But it also says "for cars equipped with S5DSA Emergency release luggage compartment".
Sounds like not all i8s are equipped with a emergency release? A bit confusing.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #30
Groundhog
Private
Rep
Drives: R-compounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
BMW parts catalogue shows a "Bowden Cable" (no. 4) and "Handle" (no. 5).

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/I1...closing_system

But it also says "for cars equipped with S5DSA Emergency release luggage compartment".
Sounds like not all i8s are equipped with a emergency release? A bit confusing.
I think that's the release inside of the trunk, mandated by law in case one gets locked in. I can only image how small a person would have to be to survive being locked in this trunk.

There should be a secondary release reachable from outside the car. The tech told me the electric mechanism was replaced once opened.

So even if you were able to find the exterior cable, the trunk release mechanism might still need to be replaced if it begins to malfunction.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #31
qris0
Registered
Rep
Drives: i3

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kero View Post
Anyone had this problem? Hitting the trunk button just nets a click from the mechanism but the rear glass doesn't open? Is there a way to this manually? My work bag is in there...
I had this problem with an i3, which has no obvious internal or external manual release mechanism. It was caused by a large holdall in the boot, one handle of which had become jammed in the hatch door catch mechanism (seems like a design fault), so it could not close completely.

The hatch release button made the same described "click" noise and nothing appeared to happen. However it wasn't completely shut, so pulling up hard on the door itself (which I would never normally do) actually opened it. This after having tried everything I could think of to get the handle out of the catch mechanism (it was very firmly wedged in there), jumping 180 spinning landing slam dunk on the door (as suggested here), thorough search for internal and external manual release mechanisms.

Of course there could be other causes, but one is simply that the door thinks that it's not closed, so it doesn't need to release. In which case, why make a click at all? And why no warning message inside the vehicle? And why no manual release?

If this happens to you, have a go at pulling the door up manually, as hard as you dare!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 10:31 AM   #32
D2nice
OG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 I8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kero View Post
Anyone had this problem? Hitting the trunk button just nets a click from the mechanism but the rear glass doesn't open? Is there a way to this manually? My work bag is in there...
I had the same problem, but I never knew it because upon taking delivery of my car, the dealer opened the trunk to get a license plate bracket and I noticed that it did not open very well. When I saw him pry open the glass by wedging his fingers in the small gap, I thought to myself that this is going to suck opening the trunk lol. After bringing the car to get a regular service, I asked my service guy about it and he said that’s not supposed to happen. He had it checked out and had the trunk spring mechanism changed and now it works fine. If this happens again, you can get it open, but you have to wedge your finger tips in the crevice, and pull up at the same time you’re pressing the trunk release. You can do this until you get it back to the dealer for a new trunk spring
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #33
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Just had this happen to my 2019 coupe. In my case, the problem first appeared after I had closed the trunk and got a "trunk open" message when I started the car, even though the hatch was fully closed. After several unsuccessful tries to get it to open, I came to this forum and was able to find this info. It worked like a charm. I held down the trunk release button on the fob at the same time I pressed down forcefully on the hatch and after a couple tries it popped open. If it happens again, I'll take it in for the release spring to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #34
MGRMLN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GT-R Black Edition

One thing I noticed is when this was happening to me, my inside emergency release lever (that glow in the dark hoop) was dangling loose. When I snapped it in place on the back wall, it totally stopped happening. No idea if this is related but thought I'd share.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #35
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Just had this happen to my 2019 coupe. In my case, the problem first appeared after I had closed the trunk and got a "trunk open" message when I started the car, even though the hatch was fully closed. After several unsuccessful tries to get it to open, I came to this forum and was able to find this info. It worked like a charm. I held down the trunk release button on the fob at the same time I pressed down forcefully on the hatch and after a couple tries it popped open. If it happens again, I'll take it in for the release spring to be replaced.
Had this happen again, so took it into the dealer. They weren't able to replicate the problem (no surprise since it is very intermittent) and didn't seem to have any info on a recommended fix. With the number of people on this forum that have experienced the problem, I would have thought BMW would have an identified solution that they would share with all dealer service departments, but apparantly that's not the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #36
jojo
Private
Rep

I adjusted the hook part that's attached to the body of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #37
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I adjusted the hook part that's attached to the body of the car.
Adjusted it how?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #38
jojo
Private
Rep

Moved it using the bolts that secures it. Moved it up maybe 2-4 mm. I couldn't get it open when I was in the Florida Keys. Had to drive back to Miami on a Sunday to the dealership to have them take off the bumper to get to the emergency latch. Wore the same clothes for 2 days! Was probably the 4th time it stuck but this time I couldn't get it open.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 06:38 PM   #39
MGRMLN
Private
Rep

I've had this happen and it was super frustrating. I secured the emergency release handle (the glow in the dark handle) in its proper spot and boom, it never did it again. My hunch is that if you have that handle dangling, it might somehow interfere with the lock mechanism...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #40
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRMLN View Post
I've had this happen and it was super frustrating. I secured the emergency release handle (the glow in the dark handle) in its proper spot and boom, it never did it again. My hunch is that if you have that handle dangling, it might somehow interfere with the lock mechanism...
This may indeed be the problem, but with an additional condition required. I noticed that the only time my trunk would indicate open when it was in fact closed (and subsequently wouldn't open) was when I had stuff in the trunk. It never happened after I closed the trunk empty. It happened again today and once I got it open I noticed that one of my grocery bags was rubbing against the loose emergency handle. I'm starting to think that when I placed the very full grocery bag into the trunk it rubbed against the release handle and caused it to slightly pull down as the bag was lowered into the trunk. In examining the release cable attached to the handle I noticed it requires only a very short travel distance in order to release the latch. Then, when I closed the trunk, the emergency handle was still pulled down by the grocery bag and that made the system think the trunk must be open. I've now re-secured the handle (key is that it must snap in place) and will be more careful when placing packages into the trunk, so we'll see if the problem re-occurs.

Has anyone else who experienced this problem had it occur when there was nothing in the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 02:09 AM   #41
MGRMLN
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
This may indeed be the problem, but with an additional condition required. I noticed that the only time my trunk would indicate open when it was in fact closed (and subsequently wouldn't open) was when I had stuff in the trunk. It never happened after I closed the trunk empty. It happened again today and once I got it open I noticed that one of my grocery bags was rubbing against the loose emergency handle. I'm starting to think that when I placed the very full grocery bag into the trunk it rubbed against the release handle and caused it to slightly pull down as the bag was lowered into the trunk. In examining the release cable attached to the handle I noticed it requires only a very short travel distance in order to release the latch. Then, when I closed the trunk, the emergency handle was still pulled down by the grocery bag and that made the system think the trunk must be open. I've now re-secured the handle (key is that it must snap in place) and will be more careful when placing packages into the trunk, so we'll see if the problem re-occurs.

Has anyone else who experienced this problem had it occur when there was nothing in the trunk?
I did when my emergency trunk release was not secured on it's clipped spot. Once clipped in place, empty or with anything loaded, it never happened again so long nothing contacted that area. At this point I'm fairly certain that it's the root cause of this behavior. I always have the charger and a small bag with cleaning supplies in the trunk but they don't contact that handle so no more issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #42
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

I had the same problem this weekend; put some bags in the trunk and after the trunk was closed I kept getting the symbol for trunk open in the dash. Did not figure it out until the next day when i noticed the emergency trunk release was not secured on it's clipped spot. Clipped it back and have not had a problem since. Looks like we can say the issue is resolved and the culprit is the emergency trunk release.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 02:45 PM   #43
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

This can *never* happen on a Euro i8
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #44
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
This can *never* happen on a Euro i8
On the Euro cars, isn't that called the easy "Brexit" option?

BTW, Jas, are you planning to go to the Munich PI event in October? I see it's open to alumni as well as newbies, so I sent in my request to attend. Hoping they can spare a Roadster for me to take on the scenic drive.
Appreciate 0