BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-31-2019, 07:50 AM   #1
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Electric range on BMW Connected app

I’ve downloaded the BMW Connected app on my phone and am really happy to look at the figures and charts that it shows following a trip. I haven’t yet worked out how to get my efficiency up to 5/5 but I guess that’s because the temptation in the i8 is to “press on”!

What surprises me are the charts it gives outlining the “electric range driven since last charge” and in particular the figure it suggests for both the Personal best and the Community best. How on earth does it think that my Personal best is 105.6 miles and the Community best is 124.3 miles? I’m not the original owner of my car so I am guessing that the previous owner used to live on top of a mountain (of which there aren’t many in the UK).

Since owning the car I have tried to get to work in the morning on electric alone which is around 17 miles but I have only made this once despite preconditioning the battery and car. I put this down firstly to the Winter months and secondly because I have to climb a steep hill to get out of the town where I live - but then I do coast down the other side (presumably regenerating) to get to work. Is there an optimum speed to drive on electric to get best range?

And if someone can let me know how to get 124 miles on electric alone I’m all ears!

Incidentally, the lack of electric used on the last trip in the image was me driving from work back home where the batteries were depleted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Could it be cumulative? Multiple charge and driving sessions, only using e-Drive?

I've never tested this, or e-range.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

It would be interesting to know what they mean by "community". My community best is 121 miles, and I live in Southern California. Perhaps community is defined as the broader i8 community including all cars worldwide.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 04:13 PM   #4
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
It would be interesting to know what they mean by "community". My community best is 121 miles, and I live in Southern California. Perhaps community is defined as the broader i8 community including all cars worldwide.
If it were all cars worldwide wouldn’t we all have the same Community best figure?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 04:23 PM   #5
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Could it be cumulative? Multiple charge and driving sessions, only using e-Drive?

It does say electrical distance driven “since large charge”. I wondered if it was perhaps a long journey where you use all electrical power, then regenerate in Sport mode before using that power and repeat? It would be a struggle to get that electrical distance though wouldn’t it. You would have to be really committed!

I have a trip to Scotland coming up - I may give it a go!
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #6
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
BMW i-community.
Should include all i8 and i3 owners which have ticked the box "enable community comparison" in the app or connected drive website.
Hi scores are separate for each country.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post

Definitely cumulative! I drove my normal route today then topped up the battery in sport mode and did another 10 miles of electric only. Tonight I have over 27 miles on electric. I guess the former owner rarely used a cable to charge the car so the electric mileage kept racking up.

So now I know!
Appreciate 0