Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

02-21-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
lovemycar
Rep
Drives: m6grancoup

Top view camera

I'm cautiously stepping in the world of i8 and seriously thinking to get one. The problem is because of my garage configuration the "top view" (surround view) is the "must". Do all i8 come with this as a standard feature? I can not say based on what I'm seeing online which car has or which car doesn't have it.
Many thanks in advance i8 owners!
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 02:58 AM   #2
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

I think it's standard.

However, 'drone' view isn't really any use if you ask me as it is not detailed enough and the image is very distorted due to the number and position of the cameras.
      02-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #3
mptpa
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemycar View Post
I'm cautiously stepping in the world of i8 and seriously thinking to get one. The problem is because of my garage configuration the "top view" (surround view) is the "must". Do all i8 come with this as a standard feature? I can not say based on what I'm seeing online which car has or which car doesn't have it.
Cheers
Yes it is standard.
2015 M4 (ED Aug 2014) Austin Yellow/Sakhir Orange, EXEC, DCT, LED, Driver Assist (SOLD)
2015 328GT (ED Apr 15), White, loaded (Wife's)
2012 X3 2.8, Dark Blue/Red (Wife's SOLD)
Retired: 2011 535i, ED / 2008 335is / 2006 525i ED,
2003 525i ED / 2002 Audi TT
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
Marc45
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Yes and it works great, IMHO. You can nail a parking spot perfectly or navigate a windy driveway in reverse like mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #5
MajorJump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Cheers
Quote:
Cheers
Hi, can you elaborate as to why it's a must based on your garage configuration? My garage has a less than 10cm leeway lengthwise to accommodate the i8. The top view camera is pretty useless in that scenario (I've used wooden blocks to allow me to accurately park the car without damage).

I too thought it was a must, but after living with it, it's really just a nice gimmick.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 01:10 AM   #6
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

My garage is a bit narrow as well.
The 360 view is not detailed enough to see the "last cm" because it's just a tenth of a millimeter on the display.
And 360 view doesn't work when your mirrors are folded...
Only front and rear cam then.

Put some carpet on the walls. Much better than "sweat or scratch".
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

My garage is also tight, though more in width than length. Rather than use the cameras, which as others have noted aren't very useful for this, I mounted a parabolic mirror up high on a side wall at the front of the garage, and have put down a mark on the floor to indicate how close I want to be to the wall. Works great.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

floor "markers" are the best...I used my floor tiles pattern for that
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Epirali198.00
Aye-eight508.50
clee1982796.00
      02-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #9
FrannyB
Rep
Drives: 2015 Ionic Silver i8

We have a regular size garage (8' and 16' doors), but we have three lifts. Also, there isn't much clearance to the walls so it has taken a bit of fine tuning to get the car in and out safely. The problem with the top view is that we have to pull in the mirrors to clear the lifts and that pretty much negates that view. Probably the best we have found it to use the front view with the green lines running out in front. Have someone guide you in a couple of times until you know just where to line up those lines.

We also put some foam mats on the walls and under the lifts just in case the doors go up too high. It also helps to put the seat back a bit to get out.

Still a little nervous

Franny
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      03-01-2019, 07:16 AM   #10
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyB View Post
We have a regular size garage (8' and 16' doors), but we have three lifts. Also, there isn't much clearance to the walls so it has taken a bit of fine tuning to get the car in and out safely. The problem with the top view is that we have to pull in the mirrors to clear the lifts and that pretty much negates that view. Probably the best we have found it to use the front view with the green lines running out in front. Have someone guide you in a couple of times until you know just where to line up those lines.

We also put some foam mats on the walls and under the lifts just in case the doors go up too high. It also helps to put the seat back a bit to get out.

Still a little nervous

Franny
so you have another car on that lift on the top?! I would be afraid to get under
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:51 AM   #11
MajorJump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I tried something similar (drawing lines) but was still nervous.... one slight slip and *crunch*.

In the end I fixed it by getting the car into position and placing wooden blocks in front of the wheels. I secured these later with large bolts.

Now when I driving in, I can edge in slowly until I hit some resistance from the blocks and which point a park. It's "impossible" for me to hit the wall now.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #12
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I park mine under a car lift. About an inch to spare on either side when I drive in - both, up at the mirrors and down at the wheels as the lift legs have bases they sit on. In reverse and uphill (yes, my garage has an incline in it - welcome to mountainous Switzerland)! Top view is useless for that, esp. if you have a grey floor and grey walls. Mirrors and rear view cam only for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #13
RichTimpa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyB View Post

Still a little nervous

Franny
Hey franny

Loved your YouTube on the i8 and looking forward to more of them on the car. Hope you are also enjoying it too!
Appreciate 0