Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

10-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #265
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayjoelb View Post
1 gram of carbs is 4 calories...period. It doesn't matter if it's from a potatoes, honey, white bread, wheat bread, etc. You don't have to worry about insulin spikes unless if you're diabetic. People gain 'fat' because they're not aware of the caloric value of the foods they're eating and simply consume more than they're bodies are able to burn.

However, I will say it's far easier to eat 'more' calories in pure sugar than it is veggies mmm krispy kreme
Do some research into the glycemic index and see if you still believe in your theory.

Paying no mind to your carbohydrate choices and their effect on insulin (and health) will set the stage for diabetes, metabolic syndrome/syndrome x, obesity, heart disease, cancer, insulin resistance, or a combination of the preceding. These are the leading causes of illness and death in the westernized world.

The lack of understanding of this is indicative of how little thought americans have regarding how what dietary and lifestyle choices they make have a direct influence on how they look and how healthy they are.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #266
hayjoelb
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
Do some research into the glycemic index and see if you still believe in your theory.

Paying no mind to your carbohydrate choices and their effect on insulin (and health) will set the stage for diabetes, metabolic syndrome/syndrome x, obesity, heart disease, cancer, insulin resistance, or a combination of the preceding. These are the leading causes of illness and death in the westernized world.

The lack of understanding of this is indicative of how little thought americans have regarding how what dietary and lifestyle choices they make have a direct influence on how they look and how healthy they are.
lol @ glycemic index. I guess you believe whatever the nutrisystem commercials tell you. If YOU did the research you'd find there's no evidence to support that eating low GI foods will lead to greater fat loss. Here's just a few to get you started:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=14

Where did I advocate eating nothing but high GI foods for a healthy lifestyle? I was just stating what the research shows. Whether you choose to believe that or some bro science article you read on tnation, that's up to you. With that said, I do believe lower GI carbs have added benefits (hunger control due to fiber, additional nutrients, etc), which is why I tend to choose them over more refined/processed carbs.

But at the end of the day, it's calories in vs calories out for fat loss. How you to go about the caloric deficiency (low fat, low carbs, low protein, or just eat less) is up to the individual and their lifestyle.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #267
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol @ glycemic index. I guess you believe whatever the nutrisystem commercials tell you. If YOU did the research you'd find there's no evidence to support that eating low GI foods will lead to greater fat loss. Here's just a few to get you started:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=14
Many of the studies you provide are looking at obese subjects who already have problems with glycemic regulation which is why they are obese in the first place. Obese individuals present with widespread internal dysfunction as their external skin is a mirror of their internal state of health. Diet studies can be hard to read as activity level, sleep, hydration etc. of subjects is not regulated closely or at least there is no mention of such and there are some many variables that serve as blocking factors to body composition improvements.

For the links you provide, I can show a document saying the opposite as there is some disagreement on the matter.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16953881?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez. Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.P ubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles& logdbfrom=pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12589186?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez. Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.P ubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=4&log$=relatedreviews&l ogdbfrom=pubmed

The evidence against trash, high GI carbs is shown in the massive increase in diseases of insulin regulation (diabetes, metabolic syndrome, obesity, and insulin resistance). The increase is without question linked to the widespread availability of cheap foods rich in refined grains, sugar, and starches which have a sharp effect on blood sugar and insulin. Such a diet can also be linked to heart disease and cancer due to its pro-oxidative and high inflammatory nature which are the most deadly diseases for humans.

Quote:
Where did I advocate eating nothing but high GI foods for a healthy lifestyle? I was just stating what the research shows. Whether you choose to believe that or some bro science article you read on tnation, that's up to you. With that said, I do believe lower GI carbs have added benefits (hunger control due to fiber, additional nutrients, etc), which is why I tend to choose them over more refined/processed carbs.
Where did I say you advocated nothing but high GI foods? Why are you starting to agree with the glycemic index now if you're trying to disprove its worth? Why would I avoid free information on tnation from some of the best fitness, training, and nutrition minded individuals on the planet i.e. Poliquin?

Some non-processed, high GI carbs certainly have their place but need to eaten at the right time when the body needs such quick energy.

Quote:
But at the end of the day, it's calories in vs calories out for fat loss. How you to go about the caloric deficiency (low fat, low carbs, low protein, or just eat less) is up to the individual and their lifestyle.
The equation does not always work as I've argued before that not all calories are equal as some provide very little or no nourishment to the body.

In addition, blocking factors to weight loss are extremely common. Good luck with a hypocaloric diet with a menopausal women who has estrogen dominance, loves soy, and was on birth control for 20 years. If it was just calories in, calories out everyone would be lean with ease. That's not the case.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #268
hayjoelb
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
Did you read the research you posted? Plz copy and paste where it says carbs = increased body fat. You just ignore what it's actually telling you, jump to your own preconceived conclusions as if they're fact, and reply with nonsense bullshit.

Clearly you're stuck in your ways. GL making terrible progress.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #269
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Anybody still clinging to the idea that the GI has any relevance to fatloss doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about. The fact that Bobby light is espousing this nonsense is not surprising considering he's a mouth-breathing tnation reader/poliquin dick-rider. French fries have a lower GI rating than a plain baked potato. Twix bars rate lower than strawberries. So based on the GI, mcdonalds and candy bars are better diet choices than baked potatos and fruit. That sounds right.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #270
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suareezay View Post
Anybody still clinging to the idea that the GI has any relevance to fatloss doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about. The fact that Bobby light is espousing this nonsense is not surprising considering he's a mouth-breathing tnation reader/poliquin dick-rider. French fries have a lower GI rating than a plain baked potato. Twix bars rate lower than strawberries. So based on the GI, mcdonalds and candy bars are better diet choices than baked potatos and fruit. That sounds right.

Comparing the GI of a fat/carbohydrate or fat/protein/carbohydrate source versus a carbohydrate alone is certainly a misleading comparison.

French fries and twix bars have fat (twix has protein as well) in combination with carbohydrate thereby delaying the the rate at which the carbohydrate, in the form of glucose, is introduced into the blood stream which is what the GI is all about. This combination of carbohydrate & fat/protein will always result in a lower glycemic index. So when you eat any carbohydrate source with a protein and/or fat source, the glycemic effect is lessened so your comparison is misleading.

Last edited by Bobby_Light; 10-25-2009 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #271
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

blah blah blah.

these pretzels are making me thirsty.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 01:24 AM   #272
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

Guys I have some questions, I want to be cleared up. thanxx

1.) True or False - Carbs are bad after 6pm? Whether its good carbs or bad?

2.) If Im trying to lose belly fat and gain muscle how much sodium should I consume? 2,000mg?

3.) True or False - When consuming a lot of sodium does it make you drink a lot of water which leads you to have water weight because the sodium holds the water into your belly and love handles?

4.) Why the fuck did my arms get small!? I recently changed my diet because my belly and love handles were getting big, but I was loving my progress with my bicep and tricep growth and size. Now everything is becoming smaller. But my stomach is shrinking which is good. And my workout is the same so why is my arms smaller? Im eating healthy protein and carbs! fml

5.) True or False - Protein(any kind) just makes whatever you have stronger but "good," carbs make your muscle and body bigger in a healthy way?

5.) Is it okay to consume 2 cups of raw oats a day? everyday? which = to 109 grams of healthy carbs.

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 02:05 AM   #273
YellowFinger
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo>NA View Post
Guys I have some questions, I want to be cleared up. thanxx

False, good carbs like veggies and high fiber carbs after 6pm is ok.

2.) If Im trying to lose belly fat and gain muscle how much sodium should I consume? 2,000mg?
Around 500-1300mg. Sodium makes you retain water hence more water weight. Yet, if you dont have enough sodium you will be dyhydrated and your body needs water to grow!
3.) True or False - When consuming a lot of sodium does it make you drink a lot of water which leads you to have water weight because the sodium holds the water into your belly and love handles?
True

4.) Why the fuck did my arms get small!? I recently changed my diet because my belly and love handles were getting big, but I was loving my progress with my bicep and tricep growth and size. Now everything is becoming smaller. But my stomach is shrinking which is good. And my workout is the same so why is my arms smaller? Im eating healthy protein and carbs! fml
How much protein are you eating? 1g per lbs of body weight should be MINIMAL to gain muscle

5.) True or False - Protein(any kind) just makes whatever you have stronger but "good," carbs make your muscle and body bigger in a healthy way?
No idea what you are trying to ask. Protein are building blocks for ur body where as carbs are for energy.

5.) Is it okay to consume 2 cups of raw oats a day? everyday? which = to 109 grams of healthy carbs.
yes but it will taste like cardboard.
my answers are in bold

Last edited by YellowFinger; 10-30-2009 at 02:09 AM.. Reason: i reformatted it and bolded all my answers for easier viewing
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 03:02 AM   #274
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
For example...

Mon - Back/abs/cardio
Tues - Chest/cardio
Wed - Legs/Shoulders
Thurs - Arms/abs
Fri - Off
Sat - Cardio (HIIT cardio)
Sun - Off
what a terrible split... if you're serious about building muscles you should not do any type of cardio the same day you lift... walking for abit is ok with keeping your heart rate around 130... what about tricepts/traps/forearm/etc? and to the guy who posted this thread, you do way too much cardio man, AND workout after that ? that's your biggest problem right there...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #275
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFinger View Post
my answers are in bold
FML, sodium is was kills me.

Almost every meal that has good calories, good fat, no sugar, and a small amount of carbs has a shit load of sodium...

For example..

Subway.. It used to be one of my favorite places to eat not anymore. I recently checked out their website because my friend told me their food is packed with sodium. I did not believe it since it was subway..

Anyway I went and check my favorite sandwich (Oven Roasted chicken and Buffalo Chicken..)

Here is what comes. EITHER ONE HAS..this is a foot long

calories- a little over 700
fat - 14g
carbs - 50-70g not sure
protein - 50g on the dot
sodium - 2,600g!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if you cut the sodium in half, thats still 1,300g for ONE meal!

And i get no cheese, no sauces. Only salt, pepper, aregano, and light honey mustard (fat free).

And Btw, I eat a little over three cups of oats everyday. At first it was shit to me and now Im addicted.

Also the protein thing I was saying is which you did not understand....
Is it true that any kind of protein ONLY makes what ever muscle and strength you have now, stronger? And good carbs makes your body "bigger," in size (arms, chest, back, etc...)..?

- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #276
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
FML, sodium is was kills me.

Almost every meal that has good calories, good fat, no sugar, and a small amount of carbs has a shit load of sodium...

For example..

Subway.. It used to be one of my favorite places to eat not anymore. I recently checked out their website because my friend told me their food is packed with sodium. I did not believe it since it was subway..

Anyway I went and check my favorite sandwich (Oven Roasted chicken and Buffalo Chicken..)

Here is what comes. EITHER ONE HAS..this is a foot long

calories- a little over 700
fat - 14g
carbs - 50-70g not sure
protein - 50g on the dot
sodium - 2,600g!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if you cut the sodium in half, thats still 1,300g for ONE meal!

And i get no cheese, no sauces. Only salt, pepper, aregano, and light honey mustard (fat free).

And Btw, I eat a little over three cups of oats everyday. At first it was shit to me and now Im addicted.

Also the protein thing I was saying is which you did not understand....
Is it true that any kind of protein ONLY makes what ever muscle and strength you have now, stronger? And good carbs makes your body "bigger," in size (arms, chest, back, etc...)..?

You were surpised to find out that a chicken "breast" that is made of shedded meat and held together by fillers is unhealthy?

Grill a chicken breast at home and make that into a sandwich. Its healthier and cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #277
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Retardedly false.
Assuming a somewhat decent diet and no sensitivity to sodium, you generally dont even need to concern yourself with sodium intake unless youre planning on entering a BB show in the next week.
Depends. But its not sodium per se that makes you hold water, its changes in sodium intake that affect water weight. Increase sodium intake and youll hold water until your body adjusts and normalizes. Decrease sodium and youll lose water until your body adjusts and normalizes.
Either you have a wasting disease (oh snap you got da aids), or its some combination of losing glycogen and water, and the muscle loss being all in your head. Assuming adequate protein intake, youll only lose actual muscle tissue after extended periods of underfeeding. You wont lose muscle because you ate a few less carbs last week.
Even with your below 'clarification', I cant figure out what the fuck youre trying to ask, but Im almost sure youre over-thinking things.
5 is usually followed by 6., but yes, its okay.
Best regards,
suareezay

Last edited by oldaccount; 10-30-2009 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #278
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I sure feel the love in this thread. Big hug to everyone.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #279
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Best regards,
suareezay
Thanks man.

So I have to have 6 cups a day? or?

--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #280
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
You were surpised to find out that a chicken "breast" that is made of shedded meat and held together by fillers is unhealthy?

Grill a chicken breast at home and make that into a sandwich. Its healthier and cheaper.
i know man, I fucked up big time lol. And yea, i made some yesterday and it was good but it didnt taste as good as subways but then again anything that taste good is bad for you. lol

--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #281
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
i know man, I fucked up big time lol. And yea, i made some yesterday and it was good but it didnt taste as good as subways but then again anything that taste good is bad for you. lol
Take a tablespoon of low calorie miracle whip, mix it with a tablespoon of salsa (one that has relatively few ingredients) and you have a pretty tasty low cal spread for your sandwich. Sadly its all chemicals, but as an occasional thing its not too bad.

You could probably use no fat yoghurt instead.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #282
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man.

So I have to have 6 cups a day? or?
6 cups of what?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #283
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
6 cups of what?
My mistake, you said "5 usually leads to 6," what do you mean?

i thought you meant 6 cups of oats lol -___-

--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #284
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My mistake, you said "5 usually leads to 6," what do you mean?

i thought you meant 6 cups of oats lol -___-
oh, no, you numbered your questions and listed #5 twice.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #285
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
oh, no, you numbered your questions and listed #5 twice.
Oh lol.

--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #286
Turbo>NA
Armenia
Rep

Guys what are some natural carbs I can eat that help me gain size with protein.

I usually eat raw oats, avacados, protein bars, bananas..

What else is out their?

Also, anyone have any good recipes with oats? Somthing like a good oatmeal with too much sugar. Thanx

--GONE--
Appreciate 0