Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

02-14-2023, 02:55 PM   #23
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuffmasterpuffpuffpuff69 View Post
According to the US EPA, transport is 27% of ghg in the US in 2020. That includes all ghg emissions, not just carbon. Carbon is 33% from transportation. There's no solution for carbon or ghg without dealing with transportation. Electric power then moves towards renewables, and 2 birds are killed with 1 stone. Efforts are being made in all areas of ghg emissions, as it should be. I don't know where you guys are getting your rightwing talking points, but it's some terrible math, and you should dump those sources. It's going to take many, many changes to get the US carbon neutral and get ghg emissions to the point where we're making things better, not worse. In the meantime, humanity is going to be royally fucked for at least a couple hundred years.
Respectfully, if you can't contribute without name-calling, I'd rather you didn't contribute at all.

The presumption here is that we are all capable of engaging with one another in a civilised and constructive manner.

Please do your best to keep it that way.

But while we're at it, USA has less than 5% of the world population but contributes 27% of total global pollution.

NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT THE USA - there is an entire world outside the USA which many folks keep forgetting about. As such, when the discussion is global, it is meaningless to speak about an ISOLATED case of USA ONLY.
      02-14-2023, 03:37 PM   #24
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Synthetic fuels have about 10-20 years to prove this out. The last 110 years have not yielded commercial success in this effort. In 1913 the first attempts were to turn coal into petroleum. There have been follow-up efforts during WW2 and ever since.

It seems to me that the petrochemical business has been going back into their same box of tools expecting different results and the world is finally moving on. And I say this as a person who doesn't believe in a one-size-fits-all world.
By all accounts the synthetic fuel problem has been addressed but without governments subsidising the cost to help ramp up demand and upscale production to reduce costs then it will remain in the back burner.

The thing about synthetic fuel is the current fuel station network is already there with (I believe) zero adapting to pump the stuff. There’s nothing at the end supply to consumers that needs done unlike everything else increasing even EV which every country is probably struggling to supply the capacity needed as is never mind when EU regulations see this increasing significantly in the coming years.

I absolutely love the switch to EV despite being a proper petrol head but unless the supply network’s capacity effectively doubles I can’t see how we are going to cope with the huge increase in EV cars being planned.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2023, 04:49 PM   #25
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post

The thing about synthetic fuel is the current fuel station network is already there with (I believe) zero adapting to pump the stuff. There’s nothing at the end supply to consumers that needs done unlike everything else increasing even EV which every country is probably struggling to supply the capacity needed as is never mind when EU regulations see this increasing significantly in the coming years.
I cannot say for sure. But looking at Ethanol and Bio-Diesel as analogues, the synthetic option may not be as seamless as advertised.
      02-17-2023, 05:46 AM   #26
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
I cannot say for sure. But looking at Ethanol and Bio-Diesel as analogues, the synthetic option may not be as seamless as advertised.
I don't believe any option is seamless but it's probably the one that could be ramped up quickest, though how quick could this actually be?

Hydrogen is dispensed at 700BAR, personally if that process went wrong it could be a scary thought.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 09:15 AM   #27
Space Cadet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M50, E71 40dx, E46 330 vert

This week has seen British Gas announce that they intend to add hydrogen to the domestic supply from 2025. May be we are going to see a lot more of it? It doesn’t solve the challenge of boil-off for LH2 or the 9,800psi gaseous option pressure tanks. From memory, tanks at those kind of pressures should have some form of recertification? A sudden failure at that kind of pressure is gonna sting a bit!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 03:28 AM   #28
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Keeping it active
      10-01-2023, 08:11 PM   #29
DocWho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i, 2019 Z4 30i

Tech Advances

I have a reel to reel and Sony Betamax for sale. Big money drives tech advances in industry. Cheap, practical, and durable is not their jam. Hydrogen or fusion may be the solution, but the middle man will always get their cut. Back in the day, my buddy converted early 1980's VW Rabbits to biodiesel and would get his cooking oil for free from the fast food joints. Then, the world caught on and $ took over.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 08:24 AM   #30
UKi4M50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G30,E46,MB,VW

Let's have a look at some basic efficiency figures assuming the energy source used to produce the energy is green ie. solar or wind/wave
Today's BEVs typically achieve an energy efficiency of around 74%, the best current Hydrogen Fuel cell vehicles are currently around 31% and synthetic e-fuel is 20%. These figures alone should convince anyone that synthetic e fuels are a non starter. If you then start looking at production, storage and distribution of H2 where there are huge issues to overcome then it quickly becomes apparent that H2 is not viable now or anytime some.
Appreciate 0