BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

05-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #2399
Rmtt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
probably but we all know that it's hard to keep muscle mass unless you're not lifting heavy?
You can go lighter and work on volume....as long as there is some type of progression, there will be gains.

But it sounds like this guy isn't even doing that.

Then you have some guys that built their foundation with heavy weight years ago, and just in "maintain" mode indefinitely. We have one guy in my gym I've spoken of before. He's the dentist.

He never goes above 225 on bench, squat, etc. But he built a very solid base years ago, and now he stays within 15lbs of his bodyweight at that time just by stimulating the muscle. Lots of supersets and pre-exhaustion work. Couple that with some pretty good genetics, and he looks great.

As far as keeping muscle mass....I have found that the time I really need to focus on going heavy is when in a calorie deficit. If I'm eating at maintenance calories, I actually hold onto the muscle I have with minimal effort.

But I also have 20+ years of consistent grinding with the heavy stuff!
2011 128i: M-Sport Suspension, 3:73 Rear Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, MILVS, MagnaFlow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, Charcoal Delete, StageFP Tune, APEX ARC8 Wheels.

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #2400
SAMM3Y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

First post here, I recently started working out again after a 5 year “break”. One of the reasons I stopped going to the gym was because of the gym culture, was tired of getting stared at my bro’s and constantly sized up, I think things have gotten worse in 5 years!. I ended up putting some equipment in my house with every intention of working out but lost motivation and interest. So here I am back at the gym! Things that annoy me include people who carry oversized gym bags on the floor and don’t seem to even have a towel to wipe off their sweat! Seriously WTF! People who mark their territories with protein shakers and towels so they can take up multiple pieces of equipment at once when it’s busy! Any excessive body sprays/perfumes, no one wants to be huffing that shit when they’re lifting.
Broseph’s grunting/staring/“ILS”walking lol, that’s a good one.

Things I do enjoy, Instagram chicks wearing yoga pants. Watching creepy old men blatantly staring at insta chicks as I descend into creepiness with them. Watching brotatoe dudes stare at each other and themselves in the mirrors as I laugh to myself and mock their fragile ego’s. Pretending I’m above it all! Lol...
Stoptech st60/40 // OhlinsR&t // dinan sway/camber // 4.10 osgiken lsd // apex ps7 // supersprint // turner xpipe/shark tune // recaro sportsters // turner shift kit //awron gauge // ess 625 not currently installed // spec clutch not installed yet
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #2401
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [5.00]
I'm annoyed at myself.

I have a huge gym crush. Like massive. Like it hurts to look at her because I can tell she's not one of those instahoes based on how she works out+dresses to the gym- and she's a fucking dork (I've creeped on her IG after she checked in to the gym and tagged herself in- shut up, all of us millennials + generation z have done it) it's beyond cute.

I saw her last night again, and like I just wish I had the balls to ask her out- except i don't want to be like every other dude and appear to be just looking to have sex. I don't even know her- and I get those butterflies you'd get in HS- and I'm hoping one day I'll stop being such a pussy and allow the word vomit to overcome me.

I'm annoyed that I'm such a pussy. And lord knows I will NOT message her on IG/ because that's just pathetic. I'd rather get rejected face to face than have her ignore my message.

Feel free to roast me now. /rant.
      05-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #2402
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
First post here, I recently started working out again after a 5 year “break”. One of the reasons I stopped going to the gym was because of the gym culture, was tired of getting stared at my bro’s and constantly sized up, I think things have gotten worse in 5 years!. I ended up putting some equipment in my house with every intention of working out but lost motivation and interest. So here I am back at the gym! Things that annoy me include people who carry oversized gym bags on the floor and don’t seem to even have a towel to wipe off their sweat! Seriously WTF! People who mark their territories with protein shakers and towels so they can take up multiple pieces of equipment at once when it’s busy! Any excessive body sprays/perfumes, no one wants to be huffing that shit when they’re lifting.
Broseph’s grunting/staring/“ILS”walking lol, that’s a good one.

Things I do enjoy, Instagram chicks wearing yoga pants. Watching creepy old men blatantly staring at insta chicks as I descend into creepiness with them. Watching brotatoe dudes stare at each other and themselves in the mirrors as I laugh to myself and mock their fragile ego’s. Pretending I’m above it all! Lol...
Sam, gym culture has absolutely gotten worse. I can only take it in small doses which is why I have a garage gym. I do gym 2x a week and home workout out 3-4x a week. The insta hoes are good for motivation, unfortunately the retard gymbros out number them 10/1.
Appreciate 2
SAMM3Y1081.50
Rmtt1685.50

05-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #2403
SAMM3Y
Major
Rep

There was a guy working out at my gym yesterday wearing sunglasses... it was night time. Now typically I wouldn't presume douche bag and would give him the benefit of maybe an eye condition causing some light sensitivity. But after evaluating the rest of his outfit, his swagged out walk, oversized white beats headphones and the general Douchebag aura that surrounded him, I made a judgement and brandished him DB!
Stoptech st60/40 // OhlinsR&t // dinan sway/camber // 4.10 osgiken lsd // apex ps7 // supersprint // turner xpipe/shark tune // recaro sportsters // turner shift kit //awron gauge // ess 625 not currently installed // spec clutch not installed yet
Appreciate 2
Now_Rudi6224.00

05-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #2404
Rmtt
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Sam, gym culture has absolutely gotten worse. I can only take it in small doses which is why I have a garage gym. I do gym 2x a week and home workout out 3-4x a week. The insta hoes are good for motivation, unfortunately the retard gymbros out number them 10/1.
Another reason why I go at 3:30 in the morning. Anyone who comes in at that time is typically there because they love the sport....and the last thing they are worried about are their appearance.
2011 128i: M-Sport Suspension, 3:73 Rear Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, MILVS, MagnaFlow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, Charcoal Delete, StageFP Tune, APEX ARC8 Wheels.

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #2405
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Wasn't annoying but it was strange. I used to be a member of a Queens gym, there was a biker that would work out at the gym everyday in full denim with chains hanging off his jeans wearing boots and a bandana... true story, white guy with tats in his late 50's (220lbs 6ft), very friendly. Looked like sweaty work in the summer tho, wore the same outfit to the gym every time.
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y1081.50

05-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #2406
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [5.00]
Quote:
There was a guy working out at my gym yesterday wearing sunglasses... it was night time. Now typically I wouldn't presume douche bag and would give him the benefit of maybe an eye condition causing some light sensitivity. But after evaluating the rest of his outfit, his swagged out walk, oversized white beats headphones and the general Douchebag aura that surrounded him, I made a judgement and brandished him DB!
You clearly are educated enough to give the benefit of the doubt- but most don't & This is why despite my condition (I suffer from protanopia) and having my enchromas which look like uncool sunglasses- don't care to wear them in public unless sunny/outdoors.

Today's generation will be so quick to jump on me , record a video of me minding my own business working out so they can upload it to some gym fuckery site on social media and pass it off as "douchebag wearing sunglasses inside"

Reds an over rated shitty color anyways.
      05-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #2407
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Another reason why I go at 3:30 in the morning. Anyone who comes in at that time is typically there because they love the sport....and the last thing they are worried about are their appearance.
All the more power to you bro! I can barely get up at sunrise to go away on vacation! Lol. I am usually getting off shift at 330a. My ideal training time is about 1030-11a. Typically the gym-tards show up after 430-5p. The gym literally turns into a circus with ridiculousness and fuckery. I feel for all you legitiment Lifters who have no choice but to go at that time. Yikes
Appreciate 2
Rmtt1685.50
zx10guy2046.50

05-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #2408
SAMM3Y
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
Quote:
You clearly are educated enough to give the benefit of the doubt- but most don't & This is why despite my condition (I suffer from protanopia) and having my enchromas which look like uncool sunglasses- don't care to wear them in public unless sunny/outdoors.

Today's generation will be so quick to jump on me , record a video of me minding my own business working out so they can upload it to some gym fuckery site on social media and pass it off as "douchebag wearing sunglasses inside"

As long as you don't go dressed as dog the bounty hunter I think you'll be ok.
Plus anyone who takes pictures or videos of anyone at the gym or any other public place without their permission deserves a smack..
Appreciate 2
Rmtt1685.50

05-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #2409
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
All the more power to you bro! I can barely get up at sunrise to go away on vacation! Lol. I am usually getting off shift at 330a. My ideal training time is about 1030-11a. Typically the gym-tards show up after 430-5p. The gym literally turns into a circus with ridiculousness and fuckery. I feel for all you legitiment Lifters who have no choice but to go at that time. Yikes
What I've noticed at the gyms I've been to is the circus typically begins around 3 or 4PM and lasts till about 8PM. I've been making it a habit to go around 8:30 to as late as 9 to 10PM. By then, the clowns have typically gone for the day and I don't usually have to fight/wait for any of the equipment.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt1685.50
Now_Rudi6224.00

05-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #2410
Rmtt
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post

Stuff like that pisses me off. I don't care if you have your phone in the gym as I have mine for music and tracking my workout.

But if I see you pointing your phone at me....there will be some words. Nothing bugs me more than someone who thinks they are in a position to judge someone else!

Appreciate 2
zx10guy2046.50

05-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #2411
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Stuff like that pisses me off. I don't care if you have your phone in the gym as I have mine for music and tracking my workout.

But if I see you pointing your phone at me....there will be some words. Nothing bugs me more than someone who thinks they are in a position to judge someone else!
I also use my phone only for music when I'm in the gym. I see a few people videoing themselves doing a specific exercise. Not my thing but I get it. The ones I look down on are the ones who take selfies of themselves in the open gym area in front of the mirror. Some of these guys go as far as taking their shirt off so they're half naked; ignoring the gym rules about having minimum clothing. And some of these guys are in the locker room taking selfies of themselves in front of the mirrors there again ignoring the rule of absolutely no cell phone use in the locker room; for exactly the reasons you and Skulls have brought up.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt1685.50

05-15-2019, 06:56 PM   #2412
BdSM n54iS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: In front of flashing lights

Quote:
Plus anyone who takes pictures or videos of anyone at the gym or any other public place without their permission deserves a smack..
Even to mockingly film crazy chicks doing prancersize on the stair master?!?

(True story)

Edit: I'm just saying I'm a fan of the epic gym fail videos lol, those I find acceptable. I didn't video her otherwise I would have posted in LOL and you all would have been for sure
'11 335iS MT BSM/Black | NAV | Premium | Convenience | Cold | HK | MHD | Cobb FMIC | Cobb CP | Cobb DP | aFe stage 2 SI | TurboSmart Dual Ports | BMS OCC | RB PCV Valve | Suspension Shit | Apex ARC-8 | Michelin PSS | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Wheel | Sprint Booster | remoteKEY+

Last edited by BdSM n54iS; 05-15-2019 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 01:24 AM   #2413
Germanauto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus

There's some middle-aged dweeb who was hogging the incline bench and doing half reps for 20 minutes.

So basically, people who hog equipment and have zero clue what they're doing bug me.

And then you have the high schoolers...

05-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #2414
Rmtt
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
There's some middle-aged dweeb who was hogging the incline bench and doing half reps for 20 minutes.

So basically, people who hog equipment and have zero clue what they're doing bug me.

And then you have the high schoolers...
We have a few like that in my gym. What I don't understand is one of them is a guy I have known for years. He's won numerous open classes in drug tested bodybuilding shows, but in the last few years he went from doing full reps down to something that barely amounts to a 1/4 rep using weight that is too heavy for him to do full reps with.

But I have watched him shrink over the last few years and he's probably 30lbs lighter. Thing is that he is very experienced and knows better.

I shudder every time I see him as the way he does some of the movements, he is just asking for injury!

Appreciate 1
Germanauto3465.50

05-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #2415
Germanauto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus

Quote:
We have a few like that in my gym. What I don't understand is one of them is a guy I have known for years. He's won numerous open classes in drug tested bodybuilding shows, but in the last few years he went from doing full reps down to something that barely amounts to a 1/4 rep using weight that is too heavy for him to do full reps with.

But I have watched him shrink over the last few years and he's probably 30lbs lighter. Thing is that he is very experienced and knows better.

I shudder every time I see him as the way he does some of the movements, he is just asking for injury!
Poor guy it seems like a psychological thing.

05-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #2416
Webby12
Rep
Drives: Red

Started to go to a new gym since I moved and have actually have not had any issues with any of the other members.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #2417
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webby12 View Post
Started to go to a new gym since I moved and have actually have not had any issues with any of the other members.
I'm annoyed...you're not annoyed.....
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:18 PM   #2418
xander_g
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92/F10

Garage List
2014 BMW 535xi  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Not being able to go to the gym as a result of a back injury...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #2419
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

You can curl in the squat rack, calves, prone stuff for back, traps, delts, leg extensions, ankles, forearms, machine work, fingers, get after it
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #2420
SAMM3Y
Major
Rep

Just stretch for two hours a day... Goggins style
Appreciate 0