BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-06-2020, 01:11 PM   #67
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnStar View Post

Other manufacturer events that I’ve attended were Mercedes, Audi, Subaru, Porsche (992 intro at Millville and Poconos), Jaguar/ Land Rover, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Ford, Lexus, Chevy, Acura. All half day events were free.
And these were all open to the public, regular events, and on road courses? I did a Porsche event a couple of years ago at NJMSP but it was a limited event---I believe you could only do it once and there was some dealer involvement. This is the closest I've come to experiencing something remotely close to the M Track days. I've done driving events with other brands before, but they were typically pretty watered down events where you drive with someone from the manufacturer or some dull autocross in a large parking lot. Neither gave me any feel for the cars/trucks.

I'm not a huge BMW guy, but no other brand comes remotely close to providing regular/annual opportunities for the public to operate their cars than BMW. I really appreciate that aspect of the brand. I've been doing various BMW driving events for probably 15 yrs and none have been a closed course autocross.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #68
BeastieBombRacing
mmmbrap
Rep
Drives: M2

There’s always those people who feel the need to be a poopy pants
      03-06-2020, 02:35 PM   #69
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
And these were all open to the public, regular events, and on road courses? I did a Porsche event a couple of years ago at NJMSP but it was a limited event---I believe you could only do it once and there was some dealer involvement. This is the closest I've come to experiencing something remotely close to the M Track days. I've done driving events with other brands before, but they were typically pretty watered down events where you drive with someone from the manufacturer or some dull autocross in a large parking lot. Neither gave me any feel for the cars/trucks.

I'm not a huge BMW guy, but no other brand comes remotely close to providing regular/annual opportunities for the public to operate their cars than BMW. I really appreciate that aspect of the brand. I've been doing various BMW driving events for probably 15 yrs and none have been a closed course autocross.
Yes, all public events, most events I attended were held at a race track. Porsche event was held in Millville, NJ, NJMSP. Alpha and Jag in Monticello.

I think we all appreciate BMW for doing these events, but some other manufacturers aren’t far behind.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #70
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnStar View Post

I think we all appreciate BMW for doing these events, but some other manufacturers aren’t far behind.
I think they're further behind than you're admitting. The Porsche event while on a track was also a MUCH slower pace than the M track day event that I did. And what happened to the Porsche event? Are they even doing it any longer? Point me in the direction where I can do another Porsche track day similar to the Tour event we're likely both talking about.

I did a Chevy ride and drive in a parking lot in DC. It was nice to spend 25 seconds driving a c6 corvette! I've not heard anything since then--and the C6 was quite a few yrs ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #71
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Quote:
I think they're further behind than you're admitting. The Porsche event while on a track was also a MUCH slower pace than the M track day event that I did. And what happened to the Porsche event? Are they even doing it any longer? Point me in the direction where I can do another Porsche track day similar to the Tour event we're likely both talking about.

I did a Chevy ride and drive in a parking lot in DC. It was nice to spend 25 seconds driving a c6 corvette! I've not heard anything since then--and the C6 was quite a few yrs ago.
I’m not admitting or denying anything. 🙂

I’m just recounting my first hand experiences. 992 event at NJMSP last fall was anything but slow. In fact, my co-driver and I both hit 136 mph on the back straight in a 150k new 992 Carrera S and 991.2 Carrera T which they had on hand for ‘comparison’. ‘What do you think, which do you prefer?’ 😄

Imagine BMW bringing new G82 and F82 that you can take for a few laps around the track each and compare back to back. Amazing.

And....Porsche instructors were totally ok with us using Sport Plus setting to experience ‘enhanced slip angles’ during entire event, even AutoX, although some drivers chose to stick to Sport to avoid those very slip angles.

BMW guys were having a coronary if you even asked about Sport Plus ... ‘If found using Sport Plus or MDM your driving session is over’
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #72
rhk118
Christmas Poo
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Ummm...I've done 2 of these BMW track days so far. Atmosphere is great. Seeing and experiencing the cars is awesome. If you really want to test drive some or a particular M vehicle this is the way to do it. They don't really teach you anything (nor could they possibly on a day like this) regarding racing and you are limited by the person in front of you or if someone is slow behind, limiting the group. For $495 I got to drive 8 laps of the big track over 2 sessions (1.5 minute lap times), three 16 second (yes 16 second) auto crosses, and maybe eight 8 second drag races...for a total of about 15 minutes of driving in 4 hours. And you get to be the passenger for the other 15 minutes. But a great event nonetheless, great people, fun 1/2 day.

1 Day M-school - this will give you some time in the car....for $1500 about 3 hours of driving over 4 courses - skidpad, autocross, rat race, big track. Autocross was most helpful to me as was timed so I could find places to find time, but again you're with a group, instructors are radioing you and trying to watch everyone, if someone is really being careful (I.e. Slowing you up) you just have to be patient. Fantastic experience.

Porsche Experience Center Atlanta - $1750 buys you 3 hours in a GT3 with an instructor in the car with you at all times (way cheaper for other P-cars, but hey bucket list). Short track, long track, polished concrete, slalom, skidpad....your playground to have your way with during that time. No waiting. No group. PERSONAL instruction. More time spent driving than any BMW course for the money. They quickly figure out your level and where to start you out after about 10 minutes of dynamics training in the car on the slalom. For me it was trail braking fast turns and getting back out of them and using lift off oversteer to get the car to turn quicker through the turn....at 80-100 MPH by the end...freaking insane...then check out their any number of Barber Motorsports track experiences you can go through...completely different than BMW....they both do a great job, but you (or at least I) want seat time and instruction which I find the BMW events lacking in a bit....anything better than this would have to be personal instruction on a track during a track day...but Porsche does it WAY better than BMW. I would have loved to have my M3 for a go at the PEC at Atlanta...highly recommended, right next to the airport, quick uber over...

"Man who run in front of bus get tired, Man who run behind bus get exhausted,
Man who fart in church sit in own pew."
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 09:43 PM   #73
RBNetEngr
Private
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
Half day or full day?

This seems more like something you do once. This also got me thinking that I might just be better served putting up a little more cash and going to the M driving school
Attend the half-day event and you’ll have the opportunity (during the event) to get a discount on an M Driving School event. I think 20-25% discount.

-rb
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2020, 02:50 PM   #74
Grip Addict
///M Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: ///M3

As if you didn't know.......

"THE EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED.

After careful consideration, BMW of North America has decided to postpone the following 2020 Ultimate Driving Experience events due to the ongoing COVID-19 Coronavirus situation:

For information and updates on future events, please visit: driving.bmwusa.com"