BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #925
MPOWER5266
Lieutenant
1445
Rep
431
Posts

Drives: 1997 Dinan m3
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ga

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Don't! It is being reported as a COVID-19 symptom!


Thanks for the heads up. Maybe a scratched eye from my contacts.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #926
OkieSnuffBox
First Lieutenant
264
Rep
382
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Agreed. Like I said, these are mostly personality issues, not intelligence issues. We had one guy having issues with his Zoom not having audio during meetings. After one of my techs tried asking him over the phone if his volume was up he was insulted and basically told her he wanted to speak with her manager and she shouldn't need to "break into his computer" to check it, so it was escalated to me through e-mail from the superintendent. After 5 minutes of talking with this guy, I suggested remoting into his PC to check and make sure "the sound on his device was enabled in the settings". He let me in, and guess what, THE VOLUME was on MUTE.

This guy has a PhD, is under 50 years old, and had sent 3 e-mails to the district superintendent saying my poor tech didn't know what she was doing and he was receiving poor customer service.

Don't F with my staff

I'm so glad I haven't had to deal with the public in 12+ years.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #927
CTinline-six
Welcome to Jurassic Park
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
3982
Rep
2,184
Posts

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I'm so glad I haven't had to deal with the public in 12+ years.
I've dealt with many different organizations both as a tech and now in my current position. People are at their worst when they are frustrated, which is understandable. I have never seen the level of arrogance as I have in this area though. Not sure if it is the location, the community attitude, or what.
__________________
Josh
Appreciate 1
vreihen162053.50

      04-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #928
wdb
dances with roads
wdb's Avatar
United_States
2096
Rep
2,895
Posts

Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 E93 328i
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: the perimeter

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountryGuy View Post
Absolutely.
Absolute POS.
I have a handheld infrared thermometer. It looks like the ones they talk about pointing at foreheads but it has a wider temperature range. I use it on myself a few times a week. It reads wrong, low, consistently. In other words it can be used as a relative measure. I get 90F on myself. If I got 95 I'd go get a proper measuring device. If I pointed at someone trying to come in my house and got 95 I'd ask them to leave and suggest the same to them.

My problem is that, reportedly, as many as 25% of people are asymptomatic. No fever. So testing folks at the door is only, at best, 75% effective. That's a pretty big hole.
Appreciate 1
rcracin371.50

      04-09-2020, 04:53 PM   #929
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
NorthCountryGuy's Avatar
1471
Rep
505
Posts

Drives: M6, E70, E71
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Iím right here...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I have a handheld infrared thermometer. It looks like the ones they talk about pointing at foreheads but it has a wider temperature range. I use it on myself a few times a week. It reads wrong, low, consistently. In other words it can be used as a relative measure. I get 90F on myself. If I got 95 I'd go get a proper measuring device. If I pointed at someone trying to come in my house and got 95 I'd ask them to leave and suggest the same to them.

My problem is that, reportedly, as many as 25% of people are asymptomatic. No fever. So testing folks at the door is only, at best, 75% effective. That's a pretty big hole.
Screening process is just that.
A big busy hospital could not do oral mucosal temps on all employees coming in at shift time.
And no way of doing anything about an asymptomatic infected personslipping through the door...except having them wear a mask to keep their exhaled water vapor to themselves. LIKE EVERY PERSON IN THIS NATION SHOULD BE DOING WHEN IN A PUBLIC SPACE...
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe Sakhir Orange Metallic / Sakhir Orange \ Black Merino - The Prince
2013 X5 LCI 35i Jet Black / Black SensaTec - The Horse
2013 X5 LCI 35i Space Grey Metallic / Black Nevada // Sport Pkg - Daughterís
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Sonís
Appreciate 2
wdb2096.00
Rmtt7048.00

      04-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #930
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
spazzyfry123's Avatar
No_Country
1714
Rep
1,559
Posts

Drives: JTR
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountryGuy View Post
Screening process is just that.
A big busy hospital could not do oral mucosal temps on all employees coming in at shift time.
And no way of doing anything about an asymptomatic infected personslipping through the door...except having them wear a mask to keep their exhaled water vapor to themselves. LIKE EVERY PERSON IN THIS NATION SHOULD BE DOING WHEN IN A PUBLIC SPACE...
Been at the hospital all day for work (still here actually), and it’s surprising just how many hospital employees are NOT wearing masks. The one I’m in right now has, I think, 74 cases. I think I may be the only person in this department wearing a mask that’s not actively in surgery in fact...
Appreciate 3
Rmtt7048.00
wdb2096.00

      04-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #931
Darth One
drunk poster
Darth One's Avatar
United_States
3624
Rep
2,792
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Week 4 and I’m deathly tired of every would-be expert sharing their ‘tips for working virtually’ at every meeting and town hall. Yes, yes, i get that i need to get ready and dressed for work just like I’m going to the office.


(Joke’s on them, I’m only dressed from the waist up)
Appreciate 1
jmg8545.50

      04-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #932
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
4124
Rep
6,749
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Our local hospital just reported two positive tests among their staff. Add that to two members of the county sheriff's office. I wonder how many interactions with others those 4 folks had.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 07:29 PM   #933
vreihen16
Lieutenant
vreihen16's Avatar
United_States
2054
Rep
484
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Funny story. Several of my DW's co-workers were finally issued notebook computers to WFH yesterday. In their 8:00 AM morning group video meeting, the manager had to do an emergency video shutdown and verbally remind everyone that they needed to be dressed appropriately. Apparently one of the new WFH people signed into the group video thingy completely topless!

DW actually dresses office professional and wears her work ID badge/lanyard around the house every day during work hours, so she doesn't get out of the habit.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 18K miles
Appreciate 3
Rmtt7048.00
jmg8545.50

      04-09-2020, 10:01 PM   #934
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
NorthCountryGuy's Avatar
1471
Rep
505
Posts

Drives: M6, E70, E71
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Iím right here...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Our local hospital just reported two positive tests among their staff. Add that to two members of the county sheriff's office. I wonder how many interactions with others those 4 folks had.
How many conversations do you think those four persons had ?
That is how many people they likely gave it to.
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe Sakhir Orange Metallic / Sakhir Orange \ Black Merino - The Prince
2013 X5 LCI 35i Jet Black / Black SensaTec - The Horse
2013 X5 LCI 35i Space Grey Metallic / Black Nevada // Sport Pkg - Daughterís
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Sonís
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #935
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
4124
Rep
6,749
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountryGuy View Post
How many conversations do you think those four persons had ?
That is how many people they likely gave it to.
Which is frightening to think about. Hospital staff and sheriff's office folks. Could be dozens of interactions.

This is one reason I'm not riding outside even though the weather has been awesome. I'm concerned that even a minor crash might require me to seek medical care and expose me to the virus. Or worse, require me to be admitted and take up a bed *and* risk exposure. Just not worth it.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
vreihen162053.50

      04-10-2020, 12:28 AM   #936
monkeyjuice5150
Private
17
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: e46 330
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (1)

So now its coming out that doctors are just giving anyone with symptom covin19 related, which is basically anything now as positive Covin19 but without a test. For fear, and to reap the benefits. $$$ from businesses who would pay for the care, and the government subsidies.
Appreciate 1
vreihen162053.50

      04-10-2020, 12:53 AM   #937
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
NorthCountryGuy's Avatar
1471
Rep
505
Posts

Drives: M6, E70, E71
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Iím right here...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjuice5150 View Post
So now its coming out that doctors are just giving anyone with symptom covin19 related, which is basically anything now as positive Covin19 but without a test. For fear, and to reap the benefits. $$$ from businesses who would pay for the care, and the government subsidies.
Well stated.
__________________
2013 M6 Coupe Sakhir Orange Metallic / Sakhir Orange \ Black Merino - The Prince
2013 X5 LCI 35i Jet Black / Black SensaTec - The Horse
2013 X5 LCI 35i Space Grey Metallic / Black Nevada // Sport Pkg - Daughterís
2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Sonís
Appreciate 5
wdb2096.00
vreihen162053.50
Supernaut382.50

      04-10-2020, 08:49 AM   #938
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
10536
Rep
22,936
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountryGuy View Post
Well stated.
Looks like jibberish to me?
Appreciate 6
aozer963.50
RickFLM44782.50
vreihen162053.50
Supernaut382.50

      04-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #939
jimbobiggens
First Lieutenant
jimbobiggens's Avatar
United_States
672
Rep
365
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: jackson tn

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I just got off the phone with one of the department secretaries. It took five mins for her to calm down enough to tell me her office computer name. Sigh. It took me all of ten secs to stop Internet Exploder and allow her to continue. The kicker? Internet Explorer did not have anything to do with writing her report. Oh, well, she's happy now, she can go about her business and I got another positive report. Life's good.
__________________
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.
Appreciate 1
vreihen162053.50

      04-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #940
jimbobiggens
First Lieutenant
jimbobiggens's Avatar
United_States
672
Rep
365
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: jackson tn

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Well, this just happened. But why?

"Speaking of major layoffs, Ballad Health announced this afternoon that it will furlough 1,300 employees, starting Friday. Ballad operates 21 hospitals serving Northeast Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, Northwest North Carolina and Southeast Kentucky. "

http://bjournal.com/ballad-health-to...er+crisis+ends

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but right now aren't hospital employees needed?
__________________
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.
Appreciate 1
vreihen162053.50

      04-10-2020, 09:36 AM   #941
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
4124
Rep
6,749
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
Well, this just happened. But why?

"Speaking of major layoffs, Ballad Health announced this afternoon that it will furlough 1,300 employees, starting Friday. Ballad operates 21 hospitals serving Northeast Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, Northwest North Carolina and Southeast Kentucky. "

http://bjournal.com/ballad-health-to...er+crisis+ends

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but right now aren't hospital employees needed?
Our hospital put a bunch of staff on furlough, so they keep their benefits. These are physical therapy folks, elective surgery folks, support staff, etc, who have nothing to do now because all non-emergency appts have been cancelled.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 5
vreihen162053.50
wdb2096.00
jmg8545.50

      04-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #942
jimbobiggens
First Lieutenant
jimbobiggens's Avatar
United_States
672
Rep
365
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: jackson tn

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Oh ok, thanks for that. It looks like Ballard is taking care of their people.
__________________
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #943
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
spazzyfry123's Avatar
No_Country
1714
Rep
1,559
Posts

Drives: JTR
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
Well, this just happened. But why?

"Speaking of major layoffs, Ballad Health announced this afternoon that it will furlough 1,300 employees, starting Friday. Ballad operates 21 hospitals serving Northeast Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, Northwest North Carolina and Southeast Kentucky. "

http://bjournal.com/ballad-health-to...er+crisis+ends

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but right now aren't hospital employees needed?
Hospitals have a lot of departments that serve elective procedures. With the majority of these procedures being cancelled/rescheduled (whether that be preventative or reactive), there are a lot of people twiddling their thumbs. There aren't a tremendous amount of hospitals that are overrun like you see in New York. Healthcare workers are needed, but if elective items are being shut down in a hospital in, for example, Alabama to be proactive, there are a lot of people that aren't necessarily needed unless they're willing to relocate to an area of desperate need such as New York.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #944
jimbobiggens
First Lieutenant
jimbobiggens's Avatar
United_States
672
Rep
365
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: jackson tn

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Hospitals have a lot of departments that serve elective procedures. With the majority of these procedures being cancelled/rescheduled (whether that be preventative or reactive), there are a lot of people twiddling their thumbs. There aren't a tremendous amount of hospitals that are overrun like you see in New York. Healthcare workers are needed, but if elective items are being shut down in a hospital in, for example, Alabama to be proactive, there are a lot of people that aren't necessarily needed unless they're willing to relocate to an area of desperate need such as New York.
Ok,thanks, I didn't know. Amazing what you can learn on a car forum.
__________________
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.
Appreciate 2
vreihen162053.50

      04-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #945
upstatedoc
pew pew
upstatedoc's Avatar
3983
Rep
2,012
Posts

Drives: blue streak
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: not downstate

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjuice5150 View Post
So now its coming out that doctors are just giving anyone with symptom covin19 related, which is basically anything now as positive Covin19 but without a test. For fear, and to reap the benefits. $$$ from businesses who would pay for the care, and the government subsidies.
i'll certify you monkeyjuice
__________________
2018 Stinger GT
1997 Toyota T100
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 3
vreihen162053.50
wdb2096.00

      04-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #946
MPOWER5266
Lieutenant
1445
Rep
431
Posts

Drives: 1997 Dinan m3
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ga

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Week 4 and Iím deathly tired of every would-be expert sharing their Ďtips for working virtuallyí at every meeting and town hall. Yes, yes, i get that i need to get ready and dressed for work just like Iím going to the office.


(Jokeís on them, Iím only dressed from the waist up)
My man... I had attended a wedding on zoom Saturday.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr
Appreciate 4
Rmtt7048.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST