BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #45
DanG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
Check again. I'm seeing Emerald Downs and a spot on Oregon.
Emerald Downs is Ultimate Drive Experience. There is no track at that location. It is not a track day.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 09:51 PM   #46
jdg54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg54 View Post
Repetitive? Yes. How else am I supposed to drive on Monticello, though? Count me in again.

Yeah there is like only two ways to drive on Monticello, this and something I forgot. (other than being a member of course)
Yeah and being a member costs an arm, a leg, and your first born. LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 01:33 AM   #47
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Quote:

$500 is a bargain to play around in M cars for 4 hours.
I mustíve attended a different M track half day event than you. During our session, each attendee spent a total of ~20 min behind the wheel driving:

1 min each drag racing X6M, M5 and M2. 5-6 min between warm up and recorded laps in AutoX in M2/4. 8-12 min for 2-3 lead follow laps in M3/4.

The rest of the time we were shuffling around, sharing war stories while waiting for our turn. The crew I came with, we spent more time behind the table eating delicious bmw catered meal then behind the wheel. I won a nice BMW duffel bag in AutoX though.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace3862.50

03-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #48
Grip Addict
///M Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg54 View Post
Yeah and being a member costs an arm, a leg, and your first born. LOL
Yeah, I took a look at the members garage:

Maynard1449.50

03-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #49
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have always done the half day. After half a day, I've pretty much "seen it".
How many hours of actual in car action do you get?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #50
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnStar View Post
I mustíve attended a different M track half day event than you. During our session, each attendee spent a total of ~20 min behind the wheel driving:

1 min each drag racing X6M, M5 and M2. 5-6 min between warm up and recorded laps in AutoX in M2/4. 8-12 min for 2-3 lead follow laps in M3/4.

The rest of the time we were shuffling around, sharing war stories while waiting for our turn. The crew I came with, we spent more time behind the table eating delicious bmw catered meal then behind the wheel. I won a nice BMW duffel bag in AutoX though.

Based on what you wrote here, the discounted Performance Center experience is a better buy than the $500 for this event.
Appreciate 1
PawnStar164.50

03-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #51
P1et
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: my wife's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
How many hours of actual in car action do you get?
Most of the half day, minus the intro.
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #52
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Based on what you wrote here, the discounted Performance Center experience is a better buy than the $500 for this event.
These are very different experiences both in time and instruction. The M Track Day is like a taste of high performance driving. They give you just enough to be able to go around the track in a brisk manner. It's meant to be primarily fun, with light instruction. At M Track Day, you share a car with another attendee.

M School, on the other hand, is primarily about instruction in high performance driving. Corners are dissected, instruction is more more in depth, and there is a lot more practice, where they will critique and correct all your mistakes. For M School you get your own car, there is no sharing, so seat time is essentially doubled. You also don't waste time on the drag strip, instead you are on the drift pad for controlled slides and recovery.
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #53
sprokai
Lurker
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprokai View Post
I've been looking for a way to get on the road course at Indy since I moved out here. This is perfect! Can't wait.
If you've been to even a single natural terrain road course, prepare to be underwhelmed, but the "I've crossed the bricks in anger" box-checking is worth it. And I'm sure being smack in a major metro will help the show be a lot better than it would be at VIR or the like
Yeah, I'm not expecting the track to blow my mind. I've done a bunch of HPDEs at Lime Rock and Palmer Motorsports Park, and both are roller coasters, especially Palmer where every turn feels perilous. It will be a cool experience to drive at such an iconic venue though.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #54
Grip Addict
///M Connoisseur
Rep

Quote:
I think that guy and me attended the same M event, but sounds like he had a completely different experience than me.
      03-05-2020, 10:57 AM   #55
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think that guy and me attended the same M event, but sounds like he had a completely different experience than me.
How so? Iím genuinely curious now. Maybe a bunch of us will ask bmw for a redo considering we paid the same $495 you did but you had a Ďcompletely different experienceí than us. ? 🤷🏻

Thanks in advance for sharing.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #56
Grip Addict
///M Connoisseur
Rep

Quote:
How so? Iím genuinely curious now. Maybe a bunch of us will ask bmw for a redo considering we paid the same $495 you did but you had a Ďcompletely different experienceí than us. ? 🤷🏻

Thanks in advance for sharing.
Just the overall vibe of sounds like you hated your visit, where I enjoyed it.

Did you have specific expectations that weren't met?
      03-05-2020, 03:17 PM   #57
Mintsopoulos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Too bad it wasnt coming to AZ.
      03-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #58
BeastieBombRacing
mmmbrap
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Too bad it wasnt coming to AZ.
Itíd be great at INDE. The firebird courses are too short and AMP has the sound restrictions & limited space.
      03-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #59
Grip Addict
///M Connoisseur
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
Itíd be great at INDE. The firebird courses are too short and AMP has the sound restrictions & limited space.
Well they are all stock vehicles, the odd one might have had a box checked and have M Performance exhaust. What's the db limit?
      03-05-2020, 08:37 PM   #60
BeastieBombRacing
mmmbrap
Rep

Quote:
Well they are all stock vehicles, the odd one might have had a box checked and have M Performance exhaust. What's the db limit?
I donít remember off the top of my head but I know even some stock exhausts donít pass
      03-05-2020, 08:42 PM   #61
Grip Addict
///M Connoisseur
Rep

Quote:
I donít remember off the top of my head but I know even some stock exhausts donít pass
Agreed, I think a Fiat 500 Abarth is illegal.
      03-06-2020, 08:00 AM   #62
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Anybody know what vehicles they're running this year? There was some mention of a fleet slide on the site, but I can't find it. From the pics, it looks like the M5, M8, 235, and probably an SUV or two. That doesn't seem very compelling to me if that's the case. I really enjoyed the M track day I went to a couple of years ago with the M2/3/4 cars. Those are the vehicles I'm actually interested in.

I may have to sit this one out until the company brings out their updated lineup of smaller M cars. Would be nice to take a spin in the Z4 M40 as well.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #63
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just the overall vibe of sounds like you hated your visit, where I enjoyed it.

Did you have specific expectations that weren't met?
You must not be reading or comprehending my reply if it Ďsounds to you like I hated my visití. On the contrary, we had a good time, Monticello is always a fun place to spend an afternoon. Just the drive up there from NYC, through Bear Mt and then onto some picturesque back roads is worth a mention. I simply pointed out that your post Ď$500 is a bargain to play around in M cars for 4 hoursí is not what we experienced during an actual M Track day event, where about ~20 min is spent behind the wheel. Whether itís worth $500 or not, is subjective, to each his own. 🙂
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #64
BeastieBombRacing
mmmbrap
Rep

Quote:
You must not be reading or comprehending my reply if it Ďsounds to you like I hated my visití. On the contrary, we had a good time, Monticello is always a fun place to spend an afternoon. Just the drive up there from NYC, through Bear Mt and then onto some picturesque back roads is worth a mention. I simply pointed out that your post Ď$500 is a bargain to play around in M cars for 4 hoursí is not what we experienced during an actual M Track day event, where about ~20 min is spent behind the wheel. Whether itís worth $500 or not, is subjective, to each his own. 🙂
So basically what this poster is saying that they only spent about 20 minutes out of the 4 hours on track. Which I agree, is some BS. I'd expect 2-3 20 minute sessions at a 4-hour 'track day'
      03-06-2020, 09:32 AM   #65
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
So basically what this poster is saying that they only spent about 20 minutes out of the 4 hours on track. Which I agree, is some BS. I'd expect 2-3 20 minute sessions at a 4-hour 'track day'
But this isn't designed to be a track day. It's a BMW marketing day. What other manufacturer allows basically the general public to test drive their cars on a road course? If you think this is supposed to be a traditional track day, then you're thinking about it incorrectly. I've been in any other test drive situation where it's expected that you'll reach speeds of 120ish mph (at least at Monticello). I got a good feel and developed a lot of respect for the F8x cars after my day at Monticello. If I didn't already have a M3 that I really liked, this event might have been enough to get me into something like a m2 comp. And I enjoyed driving fairly hard on a car with CCBs, which I've never tried before.
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2020, 10:16 AM   #66
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
But this isn't designed to be a track day. It's a BMW marketing day. What other manufacturer allows basically the general public to test drive their cars on a road course? If you think this is supposed to be a traditional track day, then you're thinking about it incorrectly...
I hear you, man, but we can be forgiven for thinking itís a BMW M Track Day when BMW names the event BMW M Track Days. 🙂

Other manufacturer events that Iíve attended were Mercedes, Audi, Subaru, Porsche (992 intro at Millville and Poconos), Jaguar/ Land Rover, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Ford, Lexus, Chevy, Acura. All half day events were free.

BMW had by far the largest attendance, big groups, limited track time (similar to the rest, except for Jaguar and Alpha) but the best catered meals and superb organization and atmosphere, Alpha had the fastest lead follow sessions in Giulia and Stelvio Quads, while Jaguar had the most track time (4 really fast 15 min lead follow in J and F Pace, everyone thought it was amazing for a free event, but with much smaller groups compared to the rest), Mercedes had drifting sessions on wet skid pad, Land Rover had the best off road course and hats. 🤠
Appreciate 1