BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #45
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i(x) convertible

Sadly, even when the dealers are dumping the i8, offering as much as 20% discount, I still can't afford one, and they are gone forever.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #46
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
It's on the front page of the site. So we come in to give an internet opinion.
Hold on to your e92 M3. There's nothing like a wailing V8 engine at 8k+ rpm. That'll be a BMW classic for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 01:47 PM   #47
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Quote:
It's on the front page of the site. So we come in to give an internet opinion.
Hold on to your e92 M3. There's nothing like a wailing V8 engine at 8k+ rpm. That'll be a BMW classic for sure.
Yes sir. The feel and sound is already legendary. Thanks!
      03-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #48
sharocks
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Normal Kidney Grill'd BMWs

Can someone move the i8 from the good BMW's please?

No need to cramp their style with a ton of lithium ion batteries.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11581.50
      03-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #49
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Spot on. To me, the i8 is a car with the performance close to an F80 M3, but with 2-3 times the fuel economy, super-car looks, mid-engine CFRP body, fairly lightweight, and decent practicality. Most supercars or sports cars that outperform it don't have the fuel economy nor practicality as a DD like the i8, and most cars (outside the Tesla performance models) that have the fuel economy of the i8 don't have the performance nor looks of the i8. I think the i8 provides a good balance of looks, performance, and practicality that few other cars, if any, provide.
Totally agree, drive one and see how well balanced it is like a mid engined car should be

Well priced now so a good buy in my view.
Appreciate 1
Cal30.50
      03-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #50
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

To understand the essence of the i8 you cannot only look at its numbers, which are impressive enough, given the fact it's 0.3s quicker on 100km/h than a V10 E60 M5. A 3 cyl

It's also not sufficient to only sit once in it, to get it. Though interior feeling was one of the most important aspect for me whether to buy or not.

No, the essence of the i8 you can see in the reviews on Youtube, when experienced car reviewers like Joe Achilles and many others just doesn't stop to smile. I know why they do and that's the reason I'll keep it as long as possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #51
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Never wanted an i8 and never will, but just reading some comments from some i8 owners makes me to never be a part of such arrogant and condescending group...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 05:35 PM   #52
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
i'm sure it drives ok, its just not a $100k+ car. i haven't driven one, but i've sat in one and had a chance to explore it. the stats aren't anything to brag about, its mediocre for a $100k car. doesn't quite do anything excellent- mileage, performance, or otherwise. styling is subjective, and the i8 isn't going to win many beauty pageants.
i really feel like the market segment is a bit awkward and lukewarm.

i've only seen one at the track so far, and it was mediocre there as well. we were about the same in acceleration, but the i8 was seriously lacking in the corners due to the skinny tires. it was obvious the car wasn't cornering well and understeering like crazy.
i take it you dont have enough money to actually buy one? I'm delighted with mine, its a seriously special car that takes a little time to appreciate
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 05:40 PM   #53
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Never wanted an i8 and never will, but just reading some comments from some i8 owners makes me to never be a part of such arrogant and condescending group...
are you too poor to own one? not being condescending, but sounds like sour grapes to me. i love mine, it's a very special car, and keeps me out of the up your own arse m group that thinks they have cars created by god!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #54
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
Quote:
i'm sure it drives ok, its just not a $100k+ car. i haven't driven one, but i've sat in one and had a chance to explore it. the stats aren't anything to brag about, its mediocre for a $100k car. doesn't quite do anything excellent- mileage, performance, or otherwise. styling is subjective, and the i8 isn't going to win many beauty pageants.

i've only seen one at the track so far, and it was mediocre there as well. we were about the same in acceleration, but the i8 was seriously lacking in the corners due to the skinny tires. it was obvious the car wasn't cornering well and understeering like crazy.
i take it you dont have enough money to actually buy one? I'm delighted with mine, its a seriously special car that takes a little time to appreciate
No I'm poor.
      03-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #55
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
Quote:

No I'm poor.
It's a mindset.

Time to change your mind.
      03-13-2020, 11:04 PM   #56
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
That is a perfect example of an arrogant and condescending statement.
My advice is you should just quietly log off and stop reading about cars you claim your not interested in reading about.

Last edited by Coastali8; 03-13-2020 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 02:09 AM   #57
Birdland
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster Doninton Grey

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #58
Bertram28
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

No Regrets For This Purchase

Yes, I’m saddened that the innovative BMW I now drive will no longer be produced.

I've owned only a few BMWs since my first acquisition in 1984: E28 528e, E24 Euro M635, E34 M5 that I sold April 2019 for my i8. I paid less than 47% of MSRP before taxes etc. for this off-lease 2015 i8 with all available options and only 8,300 miles. The CPO will expire in April of 2021.

My i8 goes in for its first service since purchase, now having 17,300 miles on it. The car electronically told my dealer this month it needs a brake fluid flush. The car reminds me at every start that an oil service is due this month. So, zero maintenance cost for the first 11 months of operation. I did experience two instances that caused me to head for my local BMW center. Magically, both issues self-resolved on my drive there. I’m a believer in BMW Telemetrics.

The M5 would have cost roughly $8,500 in maintenance had I continued to operate it based upon 10 years of ownership records. So, 9,000 i8 miles in 11 months and $924 in premium fuel equates to a cost per mile of $0.10, half the cost of fuel alone for the M5. An i8 is faster, out-brakes and rides better than my E34 M5, then touted as the fastest sedan. But my BMW Car Club driving school days ended a long time ago after eight of them or so.

My driving style radically changed after retirement a few years ago. In the city, I use only eDrive driving mode, so I burn no premium fuel. I can easily make a few trips to the grocery store on the 13 to 15-mile range after a full charge. I last purchased fuel 7 weeks ago at a cost of $27.95. Roughly 4/5th of that is still in the tank because I have not taken a road trip lately. When I do drive from Florida’s west coast to its east coast, my fuel mileage ranges from 33.6 to 35.8 miles per gallon. The variation is the consequence of showing Tesla owners that their electric cars are gutless at speeds over 70 MPH or sheer boredom interrupted by cruising 120 plus for short distances. (Nope, not a single ticket since selling the RED 1988 M635).

Another i8 owner penned the truth. You cannot appreciate the i8 until you drive one.

My favorite ownership recollection? Seeing my i8 parked in front of a Miami Beach hotel alongside a tethered Tesla. No need for the charger on long trips in an i8. Just activate Sport mode to change up the battery.

My WOW revelation? Owner manual clearly states the rear tires need an additional 10 pounds of tire pressure IF speed will exceed 100 mph. Guessing the wings add a great deal of downforce. Yes, no problem with high speed drives in the rain.

After 11 months of i8 ownership, this former M car owner can identify two issues. The first is you drivers who insist upon driving in what would normally be my blind sport while you take your photos and videos. Yes, I see you since my visibility is excellent. But my patience wears thin, so I leave you a few miles behind in mere seconds. Secondly, my Australian Shepherd really enjoyed the M5 back seat not available in this 2 + 2 design. I’ve comfortably ridden in the back for long road trips with my head an inch or so beneath the headliner. The middle hump precludes my Aussie from stretching out. At age 16, he is adapting in the front as you can see. Cheers all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Cal30.50
      03-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #59
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I have a 2 year-old and a 15 year-old blue merle Aussie that look like twins to yours. I have to lift the old guy into the back seat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 08:22 PM   #60
cwulffy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Cool car but wayyyyyy overpriced
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #61
Bertram28
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Not a great transport, not overpriced either

Thanks, STRESSDOC for fab photo. Yeah, I must lift my old guy into the front seat too, but he hops out fine. He is my fifth and last Aussie, not because of the i8. I rescued him 11 years ago when I left Janet behind. He's been a more reliable companion. He also motivates me to walk a mile three or four times a day. I haven't the heart to show him his replacement. His eyebrows are now white. More affected by our heat and humidity now but still loves his car rides. With passenger seat back lowered, his snort can waft the fresh air. He always gets the attention, not the i8.

I'd say paying on average $895 per month just for maintenance on a 1991 E34 M5 is paying too much to drive a BMW approaching 230,000 miles. That is exactly my experience, average monthly cost of only maintenance from 2008 into 2019. When I realized that, I opted to sell and jump into the i8. Sold the M5 for 150% of cost in 2008. The i8 brings sooo many improvements and safety features that its purchase was a no-brainer for me. I'd guess a F30 owner would jump at an i8 with net cost of zero maintenance, CPO coverage and monthly finance approaching $210. Hardly overpriced.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #62
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Wow, 16 and 15! May your sweet buddies experience many further nice rides!

My shepherd dog / border collie lady (11) is a bit smaller and just fits in the passenger footwell.
But she clearly prefers to ride in the hold of the i3 because she can look out of the window there and because of the upholstered bed. But the real reason is probably because I drive it more decently
Attached Images

Last edited by BigT; 03-24-2020 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #63
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

value

Pricing is complex. The new corvette has great value for performance. The i8 has a CF monocoque and amazing tech.

My puppers have exceeded all expectations.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0