just you tube
      03-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #134
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
I only drink coffee for the caffeine so store brand instant for me. Am I a terrorist?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 09:03 PM   #135
gary_william
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Variety and freshness of green beans is a primary reason. And expense of roasting equipment that's consistent enough to compare to what's readily available.

Its similar to home brew. You can do it, but it doesn't really save money or compare to commercially available products.
You can home roast for $20. Hot air popcorn popper.

Fresh green beans are readily available.

I've been home roasting for 10 years and can consistently get good results. Obviously not using a popcorn popper anymore. A good roaster with 1lb capacity runs under $400.

A pound of green coffee runs about $7. My time is free. I get the absolute freshest coffee you can get, roasted same day.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Appreciate 1
spencers198.00
      03-17-2020, 09:14 PM   #136
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_william View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Variety and freshness of green beans is a primary reason. And expense of roasting equipment that's consistent enough to compare to what's readily available.

Its similar to home brew. You can do it, but it doesn't really save money or compare to commercially available products.
You can home roast for $20. Hot air popcorn popper.

Fresh green beans are readily available.

I've been home roasting for 10 years and can consistently get good results. Obviously not using a popcorn popper anymore. A good roaster with 1lb capacity runs under $400.

A pound of green coffee runs about $7. My time is free. I get the absolute freshest coffee you can get, roasted same day.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
I don't trust the freshness of the green beans. Beans only have a month or two of ideal life. And getting a natural process or honey from a lot of countries is hard or a very short window. The good roasters have direct relationships that bypass the big resellers and they do tend to get the better beans.

I've had excellent home roasted beans. It's a very cool thing and I fully realize it can save a few bucks. I just have tastes that fall outside of what's readily available.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 06:55 AM   #137
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Helmut Sachers Kaffee... Fresh grind at home! Awesomeness with a kick
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #138
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Ok so decided to revive this instead of making new thread. Lets see if any of you coffee gurus can help.

Typically I just drink regular drip coffee, nothing fancy, lots of cream and sugar. I also have espresso sometimes cuban style (aka sugar with a little espresso). However I am trying to go low carb so I need to change my coffee. I will do espresso instead as I'll just have 1 cup and it's less sugar than multiple cups of drip coffee. I would like to cut out the sugar all-together but godamn that shit is bitter as fuck all.

Sooooo... any trick to making this espresso not be bitter? I have a DeLonghi Dedica and I have read sooo much shit about how to properly make it so it's not bitter. I have tried using more coffee with less liquid, less coffee with more liquid, I've tried different brands I have around the house (none of them fancy) but the shit always comes out nasty (without sugar). So is it possible to get espresso that isn't bitter?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #139
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Ok so decided to revive this instead of making new thread. Lets see if any of you coffee gurus can help.

Typically I just drink regular drip coffee, nothing fancy, lots of cream and sugar. I also have espresso sometimes cuban style (aka sugar with a little espresso). However I am trying to go low carb so I need to change my coffee. I will do espresso instead as I'll just have 1 cup and it's less sugar than multiple cups of drip coffee. I would like to cut out the sugar all-together but godamn that shit is bitter as fuck all.

Sooooo... any trick to making this espresso not be bitter? I have a DeLonghi Dedica and I have read sooo much shit about how to properly make it so it's not bitter. I have tried using more coffee with less liquid, less coffee with more liquid, I've tried different brands I have around the house (none of them fancy) but the shit always comes out nasty (without sugar). So is it possible to get espresso that isn't bitter?
I think you're going to need some "fancy" shit. Try some Peets espresso or some local coffeehouse stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #140
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
I think you're going to need some "fancy" shit. Try some Peets espresso or some local coffeehouse stuff.
Yeah but what level of fanciness? I don't really consider Peets fancy, I like Peets and we get their drip coffee when we can.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #141
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah but what level of fanciness? I don't really consider Peets fancy, I like Peets and we get their drip coffee when we can.
Ok just making sure you're not using some real crappy coffee. Coffees definitely differ in their bitterness and acidity. I would try to get some coffee that has a mellower profile. Like Colombian coffee and don't grind it too fine.

Here's a couple of fancier brands you might want to try:

Blue Bottle Coffee
Philz Coffee
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #142
spencers
Captain
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: Sthrizzle

Quote:

Get fresh beans and grind them right before you pull the shot. Find a local roaster, or during these Covid times, mail-order. The Black Cat espresso beans I typically order from Intelligentsia are usually shipped the same day they roast them. Onyx Coffee Labs does good stuff too. Or Verve coffee. Or Red Bird Coffee.

Dont get supermarket beans. Chances are they've been sitting out past their prime. Espresso is so finicky that old beans won't give you a good cup of espresso.

Edit: When pulling the espresso shot, the traditional method is 2:1 ratio. This means that if you are dosing 18 grams of dry coffee, you would end with 36 grams of liquid espresso in your cup.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #143
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post
Get fresh beans and grind them right before you pull the shot. Find a local roaster, or during these Covid times, mail-order. The Black Cat espresso beans I typically order from Intelligentsia are usually shipped the same day they roast them. Onyx Coffee Labs does good stuff too. Or Verve coffee. Or Red Bird Coffee.

Dont get supermarket beans. Chances are they've been sitting out past their prime. Espresso is so finicky that old beans won't give you a good cup of espresso.
Is there a grinder you recommend that isn't crazy expensive? I thought about grinding beans and went down an Amazon rabbit hole ultimately not buying anything because I couldn't find anything reasonable that didn't have some bad reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post
Edit: When pulling the espresso shot, the traditional method is 2:1 ratio. This means that if you are dosing 18 grams of dry coffee, you would end with 36 grams of liquid espresso in your cup.
See that is what I have been messing with. Couple things though, I can't get more than 14 grams of coffee in my puck. Even bought a different puck that's not pressurized or something and was suppose to be better, still 14 grams and no change in taste. I also read it should take around 25-30 sec for the entire amount of coffee to come through. I'm waaaay shorter than that, even when I push that coffee in, if I push too hard it wont come out at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 07:22 PM   #144
spencers
Captain
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: Sthrizzle

Quote:
Is there a grinder you recommend that isn't crazy expensive? I thought about grinding beans and went down an Amazon rabbit hole ultimately not buying anything because I couldn't find anything reasonable that didn't have some bad reviews.

See that is what I have been messing with. Couple things though, I can't get more than 14 grams of coffee in my puck. Even bought a different puck that's not pressurized or something and was suppose to be better, still 14 grams and no change in taste. I also read it should take around 25-30 sec for the entire amount of coffee to come through. I'm waaaay shorter than that, even when I push that coffee in, if I push too hard it wont come out at all.
You need a burr grinder that can grind fine enough for espresso. There are manual hand grinders out there that are far cheaper than electric ones.

A 14 gram basket is fine. Non pressurized baskets are great when you have freshly ground beans. The issue you’re running into is that your beans either aren’t fresh enough or aren’t ground fine enough. That’s why your shot is pulling faster than 30 seconds. Fix that, and you’ll be on your way to better tasting coffee!
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #145
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Until you have a good grinder, stick with the pressurized basket. You'll need a consistent grind and a tamper to get a non pressurized puck to work.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #146
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

I drink nothing but the best, eight o' clock drip out of a 10 year old coffee pot.

I drink it black lol

Name:  812wCktiXBL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  21.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 06:01 AM   #147
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Does anyone have a Bunn or Grindmaster in their kitchen?
This one has forged burrs. I cut down the top & bottom compartments to make it fit my kitchen better.
Great grinds of all kinds, but a little messy!

Murf
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #148
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
@Littlebear I use a Baratza Virtuoso grinder, but i also find it a first-world struggle to keep the grinds from making a mess.
      04-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #149
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
#allcoffeeisgood
#hotandblack
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #150
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I'm sensitive to stimulants so I don't drink it.

Wife likes it though. Although she puts crushed ice in it. I always wondered why as I thought it was meant to be hot while drinking it.
      04-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #151
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Does anyone have a Bunn or Grindmaster in their kitchen?
This one has forged burrs. I cut down the top & bottom compartments to make it fit my kitchen better.
Great grinds of all kinds, but a little messy!

Murf

Question: Why do you put your knives in upside down? To protect the sharpness?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #152
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
I do the same thing and I started doing it to protect the sharpness, however considering I have had those same knives for probably 15 years and they are all dull as shit... at this point I just do it because of habit.

Got a grinder. Of course the coffee beans I ordered have not arrived yet. I had some wholefoods decaf beans that my gf ordered by mistake so I tested it out with that. Still having issues getting it dialed in consistently. I probably brewed half a bag worth of shots trying to dial it in. Only managed to get 1 shot that IMO was pretty damn good and not bitter at all. Unfortunately I was unable to replicate it again.

Did some with a coarser grind and put it in the drip coffee maker, I must say it came out pretty damn good for decaf.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 07:23 PM   #153
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
They don't cut into the wood holder.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 01:27 PM   #154
Tim1981
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

I prefer Don Pablo... the taste is different yet subtle