01-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Question Where to move to in the US?

Nothing really keeping me in PA. I've been job hunting here, FL, TX, SC, NC & AZ so far. I want to go somewhere that does not have cold & snow for several months. Not interested in going to CA. I am not a city life guy, I prefer the suburbs. Living in the middle of a place like Philly = hell no for me.

I am in sales, but would much prefer to get out of it & into something where my skills still translate. So where are the jobs & where is the money? Not trying to move to a place where I will make peanuts & struggle. Not that I am a baller here.

So what cities/states should I look at?

Last edited by FuriouslyFast; 01-24-2020 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
LA California.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #3
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
LA California.
Hard pass on CA.
Appreciate 4
      01-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #4
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

North/South Carolina are great places to live and work.

Wages aren't as high as Northeast/WestCoast, but neither is cost of living.

Major cities (Greenville, SC; Charlotte/Greensboro/Raleigh/Asheville, NC) are not the backwoods sister-marrying stereotype. Get out of the cities and all bets are off.

Weather is not bad, especially compared to PA. We get beautiful spring/autumn, winter is not too bad, and summer is too damned hot.

There are jobs aplenty in any of the above cities, so it shouldn't be a struggle.

If you have specific questions, drop'em here.
Appreciate 5
      01-24-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post

Major cities (Greenville, SC; Charlotte/Greensboro/Raleigh/Asheville, NC) are not the backwoods sister-marrying stereotype. Get out of the cities and all bets are off.

Weather is not bad, especially compared to PA. We get beautiful spring/autumn, winter is not too bad, and summer is too damned hot.

There are jobs aplenty in any of the above cities, so it shouldn't be a struggle.

What part are you in? Anything in particular I should avoid or look for?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I live in Charlotte, and love it. I can't speak much for the "night-life/city" aspect of it as I don't get out often and prefer to keep to myself, but its a growing city with TONS of opportunities. Even the surrounding cities have lots of jobs: Huntersville, Mooresville, Davidson, Concord, Fort Mill, Indian Trail, etc. Cost of living isn't too high (although I have nothing to really compare it to since it's the only place I've lived) and given it's size, congestion/traffic isn't usually too bad either. Winter is mostly high 20s to low 40s with MAYBE 1 or 2 light snows, summers are 90+ easily.

Best part about working in Charlotte, is there are tons of places to live outside of the city where you can be secluded. It will mean more of a drive to work, but definitely not impossible or bad. There's tons of stuff to do, great food, and overall it's a pretty good city. Plus it's a good spot for driving, if you want to hit the Breweries in Asheville, its 2 hours; want to go to Little Switz, it's 2.5 hours; Atlanta is 4 hours, TN mountains are 3.5 hours; beaches are 2-3.5 hours; Tail of the Dragon is 4 hours...

Hell, I live in S Charlotte (Steele Creek area), and drive up to Huntersville for work. 25 miles one way, less than 30 minutes. My previous job was 5 minutes from my apartment, and my other job up in Concord (complete opposite side of the city) was 40 minutes.

Another thing I like is the amount of car stuff to do. Zmax does Test and Tune over the summer, $20 for unlimited runs, Carolina Motorsports Park does a ton of track days, there is NC-Car that does track days too, there's GoPro Motorplex for some fast outdoor karting, or K1 Speed for fast indoor karting, SCCA does TONS of AutoX events at Zmax all throughout the year, the Cars & Coffee is pretty good. I could go on and on. Also, Charlotte metro area is called "Race City" since almost every NASCAR team is based out of CLT or the surrounding cities, and the drivers are often at events, especially at GoPro. It's just a cool place, and I don't plan on leaving unless I move to Europe or something crazy.
Appreciate 5
      01-24-2020, 10:08 AM   #7
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

Texas, FL, NC, SC, TN-Nashville, specifically.

As far as wages go, since you are in sales, get a job at a national or international firm and they pay wages based on national data. You won't be lowballed because you live in a low-expense area. That's what I did in sales and it worked out quite well.

Run Silent would be a great person to provide advice to you on this as he is closer to the pulse on this than I.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 3
      01-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I live in Charlotte, and love it. I can't speak much for the "night-life/city" aspect of it as I don't get out often and prefer to keep to myself, but its a growing city with TONS of opportunities. Even the surrounding cities have lots of jobs: Huntersville, Mooresville, Davidson, Concord, Fort Mill, Indian Trail, etc. Cost of living isn't too high (although I have nothing to really compare it to since it's the only place I've lived) and given it's size, congestion/traffic isn't usually too bad either. Winter is mostly high 20s to low 40s with MAYBE 1 or 2 light snows, summers are 90+ easily.

Best part about working in Charlotte, is there are tons of places to live outside of the city where you can be secluded. It will mean more of a drive to work, but definitely not impossible or bad. There's tons of stuff to do, great food, and overall it's a pretty good city. Plus it's a good spot for driving, if you want to hit the Breweries in Asheville, its 2 hours; want to go to Little Switz, it's 2.5 hours; Atlanta is 4 hours, TN mountains are 3.5 hours; beaches are 2-3.5 hours; Tail of the Dragon is 4 hours...

Hell, I live in S Charlotte (Steele Creek area), and drive up to Huntersville for work. 25 miles one way, less than 30 minutes. My previous job was 5 minutes from my apartment, and my other job up in Concord (complete opposite side of the city) was 40 minutes.

Another thing I like is the amount of car stuff to do. Zmax does Test and Tune over the summer, $20 for unlimited runs, Carolina Motorsports Park does a ton of track days, there is NC-Car that does track days too, there's GoPro Motorplex for some fast outdoor karting, or K1 Speed for fast indoor karting, SCCA does TONS of AutoX events at Zmax all throughout the year, the Cars & Coffee is pretty good. I could go on and on. Also, Charlotte metro area is called "Race City" since almost every NASCAR team is based out of CLT or the surrounding cities, and the drivers are often at events, especially at GoPro. It's just a cool place, and I don't plan on leaving unless I move to Europe or something crazy.
We've probable run across each other out at Z-Max. I'm driving a red '90 CSP Miata. From your references, you're likely in the same scene.
Appreciate 1
Conissah1574.50
      01-24-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
What part are you in? Anything in particular I should avoid or look for?
I'm in Fort Mill, which is 20 minutes south of Charlotte.

Great small-town lifestyle with big-city activities just a 20 minute drive away.

If you pick Charlotte, the south side is the place to be - or up at Lake Norman... provided you DON'T have to drive in to Charlotte every day (traffic up there SUCKS!)
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #10
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
We've probable run across each other out at Z-Max. I'm driving a red '90 CSP Miata. From your references, you're likely in the same scene.
While I go to the events, I've actually never driven in them. I've been to 2-3 AutoX's, but only to spectate. I plan on taking the M2 to an AutoX real soon, and I'm currently "restoring" a 1990 Miata to make a sweet daily / AutoX car. I've been to Zmax twice, but both times it rained out before I got a run in and I got my money back. Want to get a couple AutoX days under my belt before I jump into any full blown track days.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #11
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:

+1. I think Greenville would be to your liking. I'm on the SC/NC border near Landrum/Tryon. It's a little farther out, but beautiful land and horse country and I see the mountains outside of my windows. But I work in Spartanburg / Greer not too far from the BMW plant.

Plus you can go one way and in a little over an hour be snow skiing, or go the other way and in 3.5 hours be at the beach.
dmatre663.00
GERMAN M34176.50
      01-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #12
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
While I go to the events, I've actually never driven in them. I've been to 2-3 AutoX's, but only to spectate. I plan on taking the M2 to an AutoX real soon, and I'm currently "restoring" a 1990 Miata to make a sweet daily / AutoX car. I've been to Zmax twice, but both times it rained out before I got a run in and I got my money back. Want to get a couple AutoX days under my belt before I jump into any full blown track days.
I make every event that business doesn't take me out of town for.

If you're interested in getting a ride, the passenger seat is almost always available. Just drop by in the pits or on the grid. CSP #64

Plenty of Miatas and Miata experts in this region (check out Panic Motorsports in Columbia), so getting your car right shouldn't be too much of a chore.
Appreciate 1
Conissah1574.50
      01-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #13
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
I'm in Fort Mill, which is 20 minutes south of Charlotte.

Great small-town lifestyle with big-city activities just a 20 minute drive away.

If you pick Charlotte, the south side is the place to be - or up at Lake Norman... provided you DON'T have to drive in to Charlotte every day (traffic up there SUCKS!)
I used to live in Rock Hill when I was in my late teens, and we stayed in Charlotte most of the time around the club scene. Rock Hill and Fort Mill were great areas to be in.
      01-24-2020, 10:28 AM   #14
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
I make every event that business doesn't take me out of town for.

If you're interested in getting a ride, the passenger seat is almost always available. Just drop by in the pits or on the grid. CSP #64

Plenty of Miatas and Miata experts in this region (check out Panic Motorsports in Columbia), so getting your car right shouldn't be too much of a chore.
Next time I go by Zmax on an AutoX day, I'll bring my helmet. I'd love to go for a ride. Maybe my Miata will be sorted enough by then, still have a lot of maintenance to do. Timing belt and water pump are getting put on tonight, then it's on to suspension bushings and wheel bearings / ball joints and tie rod ends. And I'll check out Panic, seems like they have a bunch of parts I need lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #15
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Next time I go by Zmax on an AutoX day, I'll bring my helmet. I'd love to go for a ride. Maybe my Miata will be sorted enough by then, still have a lot of maintenance to do. Timing belt and water pump are getting put on tonight, then it's on to suspension bushings and wheel bearings / ball joints and tie rod ends. And I'll check out Panic, seems like they have a bunch of parts I need lol.
If you need a tool to pull the bushings, PM me. I did mine over last winter and still have the tools laying around.
Appreciate 1
Conissah1574.50
      01-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #16
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Los Angeles California.
Come join the rat race.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #17
SenorRoadRage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BSM F82

Don't come to Austin - you'll hate it here. Women are ugly and the food is bad. Never sunny either. 0/10 hard pass.
Appreciate 5
kscarrol8752.00
BimmerAg425.00
Germanauto9652.00
Carb0n M103.50
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #18
purpl3ish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Velvet Orchid M3

i want to get out of NYC, would love to go to cali..
      01-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #19
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

We just moved from Seattle area to Gig Harbor WA....it's beautiful (it rains on occasion)

https://www.google.com/search?q=gig+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
      01-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorRoadRage View Post
Don't come to Austin - you'll hate it here. Women are ugly and the food is bad. Never sunny either. 0/10 hard pass.
Haha. Traffic is terrible, food service is awful, the F1 track has way too many hills and Trudy's just went tits up.
Appreciate 3
      01-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #21
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Charlotte, NC area
Ashville, NC area
Greenville, SC area
Charleston, SC area
St. Augustine, FL area (work in Jasksonville)

I've spent significant time in all of these areas and if my kids weren't already in amazing public schools in Kansas City, I wouldn't hesitate to move to any of these areas noted above.

Short of Austin, TX is a disaster, especially Houston.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 12:28 PM   #22
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

City of Compton....

.....I hear they keep it rockin'.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
MKSixer34171.50