Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #24
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Interested in this as well, since CT is only getting worse. I went to Asheville, NC this past summer and it seemed pretty nice.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #25
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Not Nashville.
Why not Nashville?
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      01-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #26
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Interested in this as well, since CT is only getting worse. I went to Asheville, NC this past summer and it seemed pretty nice.
Asheville is growing quickly. It's a good place to get in soon as property there is really sky-rocketing the last couple of years.

We have quite a few transplants form CT living here in my area as well.
      01-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #27
Sl0W.n54
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Texas or Florida fosho man . The weather is always nice and has a big a car scene
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #28
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Atlanta. Northern Suburbs. Alpharetta, Roswell, John's Creek. If you want more rural, shoot for Cumming or Dawsonville.
Appreciate 2
P111523.50
      01-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #29
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

I hear the tech industry is growing in Raleigh, NC. Low cost living too, may want to add that to your list to look into.
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
      01-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #30
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Don't come to FL, we are already full of weirdos. :-P
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13147.00
EXE462097.00
      01-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #31
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Asheville is growing quickly. It's a good place to get in soon as property there is really sky-rocketing the last couple of years.

We have quite a few transplants form CT living here in my area as well.
I saw a map somewhere that showed CT as having one of the highest numbers of people moving out. Not surprised.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      01-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #32
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
I hear the tech industry is growing in Raleigh, NC. Low cost living too, may want to add that to your list to look into.
That's where my daughter and SIL are headed this year. She starts at Duke University School of Medicine soon to continue her education, and his current company has a office there that he can transfer to.

So it worked out pretty well.
      01-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #33
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Why not Nashville?
The influx here in the past few years has been crazy.

Commutes now take 2-4 times longer, the infastructure was overwhelmed a decade ago, today it's a nightmare. Interstates are always jammed, roads twist and turn and dead end out of nowhere making for very few ways to get across town. Very few bridges over lakes and rivers...I live a couple of miles from a river, but to get to somewhere right across it, I have to drive at least an hour and make a ridiculous loop through the most congested part of town, and I'm not far out, still in Metro/Davidson County(Nashville).

Housing has sky rocketed. Homes now cost about double what they did 5 years ago. There are literal bidding wars on shacks and sellers end up getting more than asking price because there isn't enough stock for the demand. Rent is the same, as well as any suburb within an hour+ out from City center.

There is constant construction going on because they keep building to take advantage of the influx, but that just adds to the chaos.

The car community sucks.

Lack of culture. It's either chain restaurants, or douchey, upscale crap that is nowhere near worthy of their prices and/or attitude. Very few genuine, privately owned places. Very little choices in cuisine. No museums worth mentioning.

Overall, people suck. If anyone tries to feed you some of that good ol' southern hospitality bullshit, they're full of it.

On the flip side, if you're into outdoorsy stuff and music, it's a decent place. Tons of state parks, hiking trails, swimming holes, lakes, rivers, caves...all close enough to make it a day trip. Lots of music acts come here, and there are a good number of venues ranging from small/intimate, to arenas...but, those smaller places all have terrible sound and going to see a s how at them is miserable(I'm a self admitted snob when it comes to that). Arena shows are like anywhere else.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #34
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:

Commutes now take 2-4 times longer, the infastructure was overwhelmed a decade ago, today it's a nightmare. Interstates are always jammed, roads twist and turn and dead end out of nowhere making for very few ways to get across town. Very few bridges over lakes and rivers...I live a couple of miles from a river, but to get to somewhere right across it, I have to drive at least an hour and make a ridiculous loop through the most congested part of town, and I'm not far out, still in Metro/Davidson County(Nashville).

Housing has sky rocketed. Homes now cost about double what they did 5 years ago. There are literal bidding wars on shacks and sellers end up getting more than asking price because there isn't enough stock for the demand. Rent is the same, as well as any suburb within an hour+ out from City center.

There is constant construction going on because they keep building to take advantage of the influx, but that just adds to the chaos.

The car community sucks.

Lack of culture. It's either chain restaurants, or douchey, upscale crap that is nowhere near worthy of their prices and/or attitude. Very few genuine, privately owned places. Very little choices in cuisine. No museums worth mentioning.

Overall, people suck. If anyone tries to feed you some of that good ol' southern hospitality bullshit, they're full of it.

On the flip side, if you're into outdoorsy stuff and music, it's a decent place. Tons of state parks, hiking trails, swimming holes, lakes, rivers, caves...all close enough to make it a day trip. Lots of music acts come here, and there are a good number of venues ranging from small/intimate, to arenas...but, those smaller places all have terrible sound and going to see a s how at them is miserable(I'm a self admitted snob when it comes to that). Arena shows are like anywhere else.
Bless your heart.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
      01-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #35
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorRoadRage View Post
Don't come to Austin - you'll hate it here. Women are ugly and the food is bad. Never sunny either. 0/10 hard pass.
+1 Hate it!
Appreciate 1
Carb0n M103.50
      01-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #36
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
Don't come to FL, we are already full of weirdos. :-P
South FL is high on the list, sorry. I have friends down there.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #37
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The car community sucks.

Interesting. I went to Nashville in August for vacation & had an awesome time. Granted, most of my time was spent on Broadway.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #38
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Atlanta. Northern Suburbs. Alpharetta, Roswell, John's Creek. If you want more rural, shoot for Cumming or Dawsonville.
I only hear bad things about Atlanta.

regardless of where I go, not interested in ever doing long ass commutes ever again.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #39
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
I only hear bad things about Atlanta.

regardless of where I go, not interested in ever doing long ass commutes ever again.
Depends on where you go. I lived in Alpharetta for a number of years. Really nice up there. The city is just like any other large city in the US. Traffic sucks, melting pot of people from all over the place.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #40
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:

The car community sucks.

You are not wrong here. I live about 2 hours from you. I used to have a couple of retail stores there; one in Bellevue and the other on Elliston Place.
The only enjoyable thing about driving there is that everyone drives fast; aside from that, the roadways suck.
An old friend of mine sells real estate there and is wildly successful; she also says the same about the housing market.
To add to what you stated, if you like beer, dives and country music; it’s the place to be.
There used to be a great rave scene (as in underground warehouse parties) there in the 90’s….but I don’t anything about that.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:26 PM   #41
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
That's where my daughter and SIL are headed this year. She starts at Duke University School of Medicine soon to continue her education, and his current company has a office there that he can transfer to.

So it worked out pretty well.
I lived in Cary for 2 years and loved it. It's one of the places I'd like to retire to when I hang it up!

I still have lots of friends who live there and there is a great car scene and cigar scene.

Cheers-mk
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 4
Rmtt8206.00
GERMAN M34176.50
Run Silent15127.00
      01-24-2020, 06:02 PM   #42
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Man, that ATL traffic is awful. Not sure I could sit in that for a few hours just to get home. Seems to be getting worse and worse. But, as you stated the northern suburbs or Atlanta are really nice.
      01-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #43
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Don't come to Austin - you'll hate it here. Women are ugly and the food is bad. Never sunny either. 0/10 hard pass.
No troll; the food really is mediocre at best in Austin.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:58 PM   #44
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Quote:
No troll; the food really is mediocre at best in Austin.
Truly terrible. Don't come.
Appreciate 0