BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #67
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
I want to go somewhere that does not have cold & snow for several months.
This does limit you significantly once you lose CA, because even the deep south gets cold. However, my only 2c is to live somewhere with a major airport. Something that doesn't require a connection every time you want to travel.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #68
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
However, my only 2c is to live somewhere with a major airport. Something that doesn't require a connection every time you want to travel.

Seth
There is something to be said for this, but there is also something to be said for the offset.

My local airport has hourly flights to Atlanta which take 50mins. It has 6 gates and the TSA agent is named Robert. Security takes me about 20 seconds. Perhaps 60 seconds if there is a line - by which I mean 1 person in front of me.

This has been a blessing more times than it has been a curse when traveling - and I travel a lot.

Just an alternative point - not saying you are wrong, just that there are pros and cons for both options.
      01-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #69
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Why so sensitive?
not sensitive....observant.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:49 AM   #70
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinebuilder View Post
Get a job that allows you to travel and see what appeals to you. Then plan a move when you have some general idea where you want to be.
I don't do, or desire to do, outside sales.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #71
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I was born / grew up in Atlanta and just recently moved to Florida. Mega change of pace. But if Atlanta is on the list and you can swing it, live on the north end and get a job on the north end. Living north and commuting south is brutal. Most recently lived in Atlanta and commuted north to Suwanee for work. Plenty of miles, but I'd arrive at my destination in less minutes than miles.

We live in the Big Bend area now which has been great for the most part. Slow city that I can get from one corner to the other in less time than it took me to get to Piedmont Park when I lived a few miles away. We're closing on a house in horse country east of town. Tons of outdoors stuff to do with a surprisingly fantastic infrastructure to promote it, too. Parks galore. No tourists, just FSU fans that stay on the west side. Can get to the beach in under an hour and a really nice one just a little over. No income tax! Careers tend to focus between state / guvment jobs, law, and healthcare.

Sounds to me that you're not completely focused on changing location but more interested in a career change that brings you somewhere new. What do YOU want?
Better weather & better job. Fresh pool of ladies is a bonus
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #72
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
i can echo similar thoughts about Miami-

1) weather is great and that's probably the #1 plus albeit this Dec and Jan have not been nearly as nice as last year
2) the people here suck, its extremely unfriendly and rude
3) traffic is unlike anything else as you effectively only have 2 highways (I95 and turnpike)

I would always recommend FL... no state income tax, overall lower cost living etc... perhaps this is why it's the state that most people are moving to... but I would probably steer clear of the Miami area unless you are looking for a hectic lifestyle. If my job offered remote work capabilities, there is no chance I would live in this part of FL.
No plans to pick Miami. My friends live in Boynton, Boca, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #73
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Northeast TN, where I live, is fantastic if you don't mind a smaller town vibe. My metro area is about 300,000. The great thing, though, is that I can get to major metro areas in a few hours, so it's there if I want it.

No state income tax, insanely low property taxes, little to no government interference in the economy or general public at large. Growth is amazing here as well. FWIW, I just helped hire a new VP of sales at my company and he is making more here than he was in ATL.

I love Asheville - I live less than an hour away. Fantastic place, but extremely hard to find meaningful employment there. It's like Hawaii - everyone wants to live there, so COL is high, but wages are low and most employment offers are taken within minutes.

That place really should be a model politically for the rest of the country. It's probably about 2/3 extremely far left (think as left or more so than San Francisco). The remaining 1/3 is extremely right wing. They all get along and everyone seems so at ease and welcoming to discuss anything with. They understand that it's just politics and that it doesn't mean you should hate anyone. I am amazed every time I visit there (several times a month) at how friendly and welcoming everyone is of each others differences.
Specific cities to recommend?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #74
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Specific cities to recommend?
Depends on what you are looking for. Small town of 50,000 - 70,000 people metro?

Johnson City, TN
Sevierville, TN
Pigeon Forge, TN
Gatlinburg, TN
Bristol, TN
Kingsport, TN

Larger metro areas?

Knoxville, TN
Chattanooga, TN
      01-27-2020, 03:11 PM   #75
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

20 year Houstonian here

Pros: food scene, suburban areas for settling down, nightlife, major airport, sports teams, events (i.e. Houston Auto show), construction being done to mitigate traffic, opportunities for jobs, largest medical center in the world, close to the beach (Galveston), good shopping

Cons: summers are rough and long, humid most of the year, not many touristy attractions to impress visitors, downtown area is weak/not much to do, concrete jungle, hurricanes/flooding
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:06 PM   #76
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
20 year Houstonian here

Pros: food scene, suburban areas for settling down, nightlife, major airport, sports teams, events (i.e. Houston Auto show), construction being done to mitigate traffic, opportunities for jobs, largest medical center in the world, close to the beach (Galveston), good shopping

Cons: summers are rough and long, humid most of the year, not many touristy attractions to impress visitors, downtown area is weak/not much to do, concrete jungle, hurricanes/flooding
The job market is great there, and pay scales are very good as well. And thats because of the things you mentioned in the Cons. Austin on the other hand has one of the highest costs of living and the lowest pay scales. It's just the way it is.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #77
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
Quote:
20 year Houstonian here

The job market is great there, and pay scales are very good as well. And thats because of the things you mentioned in the Cons. Austin on the other hand has one of the highest costs of living and the lowest pay scales. It's just the way it is.
Quote:
Quote:
20 year Houstonian here

That depends what field you're in. IT would pay far more in Austin vs Houston. And Austin isn't that much more expensive than Houston for cost of living.

Unless you're in oil and gas I wouldn't say Houston pay is high. I doubled my salary moving from Houston to Seattle in a couple years.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 07:07 PM   #78
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
Quote:
Quote:
20 year Houstonian here

Quote:
Quote:
20 year Houstonian here

That depends what field you're in. IT would pay far more in Austin vs Houston. And Austin isn't that much more expensive than Houston for cost of living.

Unless you're in oil and gas I wouldn't say Houston pay is high. I doubled my salary moving from Houston to Seattle in a couple years.
Austin doesn't actually pay people. I work for a Dallas company, my wife for a NY one. Don't come here, nothing to see. Houston rocks.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:07 PM   #79
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Depends on what you are looking for. Small town of 50,000 - 70,000 people metro?

Johnson City, TN
Sevierville, TN
Pigeon Forge, TN
Gatlinburg, TN
Bristol, TN
Kingsport, TN

Larger metro areas?

Knoxville, TN
Chattanooga, TN
Johnson City is high on my list. Love east Tennessee. I’ll start digging in deeper in the upcoming years, but how’s the job market in the smaller cities? Continuing no income tax is nice.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2020, 11:53 PM   #80
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Move where the money is. Otherwise I pick Arizona out of all the states you listed.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 04:33 AM   #81
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Austin doesn't actually pay people. I work for a Dallas company, my wife for a NY one. Don't come here, nothing to see. Houston rocks.
I always get a chuckle when I read the “don’t move here” comments by someone who just moved here themselves.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2020, 05:32 AM   #82
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Northeast TN, where I live, is fantastic if you don't mind a smaller town vibe. My metro area is about 300,000. The great thing, though, is that I can get to major metro areas in a few hours, so it's there if I want it.

No state income tax, insanely low property taxes, little to no government interference in the economy or general public at large. Growth is amazing here as well. FWIW, I just helped hire a new VP of sales at my company and he is making more here than he was in ATL.

I love Asheville - I live less than an hour away. Fantastic place, but extremely hard to find meaningful employment there. It's like Hawaii - everyone wants to live there, so COL is high, but wages are low and most employment offers are taken within minutes.

That place really should be a model politically for the rest of the country. It's probably about 2/3 extremely far left (think as left or more so than San Francisco). The remaining 1/3 is extremely right wing. They all get along and everyone seems so at ease and welcoming to discuss anything with. They understand that it's just politics and that it doesn't mean you should hate anyone. I am amazed every time I visit there (several times a month) at how friendly and welcoming everyone is of each others differences.
Exactly.....we've been around there for years and watched the culture change. People living there that are polar opposites but there are never any issues as everyone is just focused on living life and being happy.
      01-28-2020, 05:44 AM   #83
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:

Johnson City, TN
Sevierville, TN
Pigeon Forge, TN
Gatlinburg, TN

Bristol, TN
Kingsport, TN

Larger metro areas?

Knoxville, TN
Chattanooga, TN

I think all are great. But the two I highlighted above can get very crowded with tourists...almost to the point where you can't move. And most of them are of the older generation (nothing wrong with that). I think they have been compared to Branson.

But reminiscing with my dad yesterday....every time he would take off for a few days, it would be to go there as he and my mom loved that place.
      01-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #84
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:

Johnson City, TN
Sevierville, TN
Pigeon Forge, TN
Gatlinburg, TN
Bristol, TN
Kingsport, TN

Larger metro areas?

Knoxville, TN
Chattanooga, TN
I have heard Bristol is beautiful, but haven’t really visited yet. Gatlinburg is great but definitely touristy. I would say, anything however in that part of the state is a unique place to live. I personally like Knoxville a lot, and it didn’t feel that large the last couple of times I visited. But just large enough to have the airport, and food options etc.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2020, 07:43 AM   #85
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I always get a chuckle when I read the “don’t move here” comments by someone who just moved here themselves.
I feel the same about Dallas. Both of these places have just been invaded. And my family has been in Austin for 30 years, so I'm certainly no stranger to it.

Plus I moved to Orange County a few years ago, I tried to pay the Californians back, but 2008 happened so I came back to where the jobs are.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #86
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
I have heard Bristol is beautiful, but haven’t really visited yet. Gatlinburg is great but definitely touristy. I would say, anything however in that part of the state is a unique place to live. I personally like Knoxville a lot, and it didn’t feel that large the last couple of times I visited. But just large enough to have the airport, and food options etc.
Punched in some of those cities in the jobs section of linked in & nothing came up for my work lol
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:35 AM   #87
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Move where the money is. Otherwise I pick Arizona out of all the states you listed.
Where is it? Salaries in FL & TX seem to be lower for what I do so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #88
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Personally, out of the 3 tri-cities (Bristol, Johnson City, and Kingsport), Bristol used to be the most depressed. It has had a huge resurgence recently, however, and so long as you stay on the TN side, has a lot to offer. The VA side is still a sh*thole, though.

I enjoy Knoxville, it has everything most folks would want and is much larger than most folks think it is, since there is a large amount of smaller towns that for all intents and purposes are really part of Knoxville (think Turkey Creek, Strawberry Plains, Oak Ridge, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Johnson City is high on my list. Love east Tennessee. I’ll start digging in deeper in the upcoming years, but how’s the job market in the smaller cities? Continuing no income tax is nice.
So I own a home in Johnson City, although I now reside about 45mins outside of town on a mountain, I am still in JC daily.

I love the town.

Job market is pretty good depending on what you are looking at. In general, around here, we tend to struggle to fill roles since the employee pool isn't very good. As such, if you are marketable, you can usually command a strong wage.

I have had a position for an engineer open at my employer now for 111 days. I am willing to offer market rates comparable to large metro areas in an area where COL is much lower, but am still struggling to fill. Plenty of jobs here if you are a solid candidate.