01-28-2020, 12:51 PM   #89
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Where is it? Salaries in FL & TX seem to be lower for what I do so far.
Tradeoffs though. Lower salary in both states, but less taxes... So you may take home more money in the end.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #90
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

It just occurred to me.....I don't know where I'm gonna go.....when the volcano blows.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
      01-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #91
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
It just occurred to me.....I don't know where I'm gonna go.....when the volcano blows.
Well, there is that one particular harbor in Margaritaville where we can enjoy some barometer soup while watching barefoot children in the rain eating cheeseburgers in paradise.
      01-28-2020, 01:37 PM   #92
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post

So I own a home in Johnson City, although I now reside about 45mins outside of town on a mountain, I am still in JC daily.

I love the town.

Job market is pretty good depending on what you are looking at. In general, around here, we tend to struggle to fill roles since the employee pool isn't very good. As such, if you are marketable, you can usually command a strong wage.

I have had a position for an engineer open at my employer now for 111 days. I am willing to offer market rates comparable to large metro areas in an area where COL is much lower, but am still struggling to fill. Plenty of jobs here if you are a solid candidate.
As coincidence would have it, I’m an engineer (mechanical turned industrial that’s somehow currently in healthcare) that wants to move to the area. If timing were different I’d toss my hat in the ring. Current plan has me pursuing a change to the area in another four to five years, but I miss my mountains!
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      01-28-2020, 01:39 PM   #93
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Quote:
Tradeoffs though. Lower salary in both states, but less taxes... So you may take home more money in the end.
Not really. Higher property taxes and you don't get a Federal deduction. Having lived in CA and TX, it's not as much of a difference as many people make it out to be.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #94
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Not really. Higher property taxes and you don't get a Federal deduction. Having lived in CA and TX, it's not as much of a difference as many people make it out to be.
I guess it depends on the area. My property taxes are less than where I moved from, no income tax, higher salary, and slightly lower COL.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #95
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Seattle has far lower property taxes than major cities in Texas, no income tax and salaries are much higher.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #96
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Anyone hiring for inside sales, account manager or other roles where such skills translate? I'm ready to GTFO of here.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #97
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
Seattle has far lower property taxes than major cities in Texas, no income tax and salaries are much higher.
Is it really mostly doom & gloom skies & rain there? I could never be happy w/that.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #98
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly. Believe me, I have looked at housing & COL in the areas. Cost the same, or more, as here. It's hard enough to live here. Lower my salary even more, but COL is still the same? I'd rather shoot myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #99
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Exactly. Believe me, I have looked at housing & COL in the areas. Cost the same, or more, as here. It's hard enough to live here. Lower my salary even more, but COL is still the same? I'd rather shoot myself.
But you are in PA. Out of college, my first job tried to move me to Erie. Hard pass.

Although I used to work in Cherry Hills and actually enjoy Philly quite a bit. This was back when Crosby was young and we had Flyers tix, so got to see him pretty often.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #100
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Move to Austin if you want to live with a bunch of homeless people and get stabbed.

City is turning into Little San Fan.
Appreciate 1
P111523.50
      01-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #101
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Quote:
TX makes up for in high property taxes, they keep climbing every year.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #102
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well, there is that one particular harbor in Margaritaville where we can enjoy some barometer soup while watching barefoot children in the rain eating cheeseburgers in paradise.
We might have to get drunk, head to paris, line up our pencil thin mustache's and check for fins beforehand.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
      01-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #103
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
There is something to be said for this, but there is also something to be said for the offset.

My local airport has hourly flights to Atlanta which take 50mins. It has 6 gates and the TSA agent is named Robert. Security takes me about 20 seconds. Perhaps 60 seconds if there is a line - by which I mean 1 person in front of me.

This has been a blessing more times than it has been a curse when traveling - and I travel a lot.

Just an alternative point - not saying you are wrong, just that there are pros and cons for both options.
I hear that - you are exchanging a fast drive and easy paring with connecting flight time - for the time you spent driving/parking/standing in line/security at the big airport.
As with any network I like to eliminate points of failure and the fewer legs to a trip the more relaxed the process is for me especially if there's a concern with one of the connections. But I hear both sides.

Seth
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      01-28-2020, 03:33 PM   #104
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Cold, wet, dreary cast weather throughout the year they have to provide the things you listed or no one would live there.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #105
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Is it really mostly doom & gloom skies & rain there? I could never be happy w/that.
On average 151 days of rain. My aunt used to live in Seattle for years, that's all she ever complained about was it raining all the time.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #106
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
We might have to get drunk, head to paris, line up our pencil thin mustache's and check for fins beforehand.
You could have headed to Miami and bought it, if you hadn't pissed the money away so fast.
Run Silent15127.00
      01-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #107
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
You could have headed to Miami and bought it, if you hadn't pissed the money away so fast.
What can I say....it was never meant to last.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
      01-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #108
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
Quote:
Cold, wet, dreary cast weather throughout the year they have to provide the things you listed or no one would live there.
That's cool. I'm from Houston and the opposite, extremely hot and humid almost 8 months of the year is the exact reason I moved to Seattle. We also don't multiple major floods to deal with every year. And Seattle FYI isn't even in the top 15 for annual rainfall.

Secret is that the weather in Seattle from the end of April through the end of October is some of the best in the entire country. Plus it's surrounded by mountains and the Puget Sound.
Appreciate 1
P111523.50
      01-28-2020, 04:07 PM   #109
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Quote:
On average 151 days of rain. My aunt used to live in Seattle for years, that's all she ever complained about was it raining all the time.
It doesn't rain all the time but yes it's grey and overcast during fall and winter.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #110
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's cool. I'm from Houston and the opposite, extremely hot and humid almost 8 months of the year is the exact reason I moved to Seattle. We also don't multiple major floods to deal with every year. And Seattle FYI isn't even in the top 15 for annual rainfall.

Secret is that the weather in Seattle from the end of April through the end of October is some of the best in the entire country. Plus it's surrounded by mountains and the Puget Sound.
That's because it's that annoying, perpetual drizzle that doesn't amount to anything. It's raining all the time but not a big rainfall. Beautiful area, though. Was there this time last year (and headed over to the east for some snow) and will be out on the San Juan and Orcas Islands in a few months.
Appreciate 0