06-17-2021, 07:29 PM   #23
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I actually cook my pizza on a stone with my Weber grill outside. It comes out really crisp and tastes better than being made in the oven. You may want to try that one day.
I've no doubt. Unfortunately, you made the assumption that I have an outside grill.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 07:56 PM   #24
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Use a pizza screen.

Brush it with EVOO and bake it (no pizza) at 500 deg F for about 30 minutes. Let it cool. It's now seasoned.

Brush it with EVOO, or not, every time you use it.

Don't wash it. Ever.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/6-14-Alum...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 09:51 PM   #25
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Not gonna win any awards at Concours but good enough for me. Cleaned, seasoned and ready to go. Tx again everyone.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
Lady Jane68960.00
      06-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #26
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Why do I feel like eating pizza tonight
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #27
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Not gonna win any awards at Concours but good enough for me. Cleaned, seasoned and ready to go. Tx again everyone.

[SIZE="6"]BEFORE:[/SIZE]

[SIZE="6"]AFTER:[/SIZE]
You owe us each a slice of pizza now. I'll take pepperoni
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
DocL1922.50
      06-18-2021, 03:12 PM   #28
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Homemade just now, flooded it w mozzarella, have a virtual slice, hope you like!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
upstatedoc7555.50
Lady Jane68960.00
chassis6373.50
Esteban42239.50
      06-18-2021, 06:53 PM   #29
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I enjoyed bacon and Ortega pizza for lunch
      06-18-2021, 07:38 PM   #30
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Use a pizza screen.

Brush it with EVOO and bake it (no pizza) at 500 deg F for about 30 minutes. Let it cool. It's now seasoned.

Brush it with EVOO, or not, every time you use it.

Don't wash it. Ever.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/6-14-Alum...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Question for you:
Olive oil's smoke point is around 405 F.
Would using a high smoke point oil like avocado oil or even regular vegetable oil be a better option so the oil doesn't become toxic?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:55 PM   #31
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Sure, the other oils will be fine. There is so little EVOO on the screen, and it burns off so quickly, the quantity of smoke is inconsequential. Any oil will do.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      06-18-2021, 08:56 PM   #32
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Homemade just now, flooded it w mozzarella, have a virtual slice, hope you like!
Next time hit that with the broiler at the end of cooking, until the cheese browns on top. It will change your life for the better.
Appreciate 2
jmack548.50
      06-18-2021, 09:09 PM   #33
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

I've restored a lot of cast iron cookware (as in if I find an antique in a thrift store, I will strip it, run it through the electrolytic tank, and start over as if it were new) and I just use plain ol' Crisco at about 450F for my seasoning. I also wouldn't use the parchment paper just a little bit of oil. that will improve the seasoning over time. Actually have used large CI skillets to bake deep dish pizzas, works fantastic! then you can use it to cook breakfast in the next day.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      06-18-2021, 09:20 PM   #34
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Next time hit that with the broiler at the end of cooking, until the cheese browns on top. It will change your life for the better.
Tx, I usually do that but noticed my crust was already getting burnt. Any tips? I put my frozen homemade pizza on bake @450F for 15 mins. Somehow the centre is always undercooked compared to the edges.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      06-19-2021, 07:34 AM   #35
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Tx, I usually do that but noticed my crust was already getting burnt. Any tips? I put my frozen homemade pizza on bake @450F for 15 mins. Somehow the centre is always undercooked compared to the edges.
Cheese thickness.

The cheese looks way to thick for my liking on the photo you posted.

Pizza is a balance of getting what you want on it (toppings) and getting it all cooked properly. The edge of the crust often burns before the toppings are cooked. Raw and sloppy toppings are...yuck.

A true pizza deck oven or wood fired oven is the gold standard. Any household oven is an approximation of the deck oven. A heavy pizza stone helps.

My mitigations to avoid burning crust (I don't have a deck oven) and cooking the toppings properly:

- heavy thermal mass under the pizza. I use an induction 12" sautoir, it's heavy. I have used a stone in the past with equally good results. Preheat the oven for minimum of 45 minutes with the thermal mass inside before baking. I still seek a more "done" bottom crust. I like crunchy, but not burned, crust.

- thin and evenly spread layer of toppings. "Meat lovers" and similar pizzas don't really do very well in a home oven. They can become lakes of cheese and grease with uncooked veggies.

- Highest oven temp possible. Mine goes to 550 deg F.

- A touch of broiler at the end, if needed. My pizza builds are thin enough that everything is cooked without using the broiler. Heavier topping loads will need a touch of broiler.

Summary: it's a balance. Don't load a mountain of toppings. Spread the toppings ultra-evenly.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614906.00
M5Rick58907.50
      06-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #36
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Cheese thickness.

The cheese looks way to thick for my liking on the photo you posted.

Pizza is a balance of getting what you want on it (toppings) and getting it all cooked properly. The edge of the crust often burns before the toppings are cooked. Raw and sloppy toppings are...yuck.

A true pizza deck oven or wood fired oven is the gold standard. Any household oven is an approximation of the deck oven. A heavy pizza stone helps.

My mitigations to avoid burning crust (I don't have a deck oven) and cooking the toppings properly:

- heavy thermal mass under the pizza. I use an induction 12" sautoir, it's heavy. I have used a stone in the past with equally good results. Preheat the oven for minimum of 45 minutes with the thermal mass inside before baking. I still seek a more "done" bottom crust. I like crunchy, but not burned, crust.

- thin and evenly spread layer of toppings. "Meat lovers" and similar pizzas don't really do very well in a home oven. They can become lakes of cheese and grease with uncooked veggies.

- Highest oven temp possible. Mine goes to 550 deg F.

- A touch of broiler at the end, if needed. My pizza builds are thin enough that everything is cooked without using the broiler. Heavier topping loads will need a touch of broiler.

Summary: it's a balance. Don't load a mountain of toppings. Spread the toppings ultra-evenly.
Tx for the tips. I will have to make due w my oven and pan. My parchment paper max temp is only 425F and I don't wanna bake w/o any lining and make a mess of my oven w drippings.

My fault w the cheese as I usually don't use that much, just that I wanted to finish my bag of mozzarella and just plunked it all down.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 08:06 AM   #37
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Tx for the tips. I will have to make due w my oven and pan. My parchment paper max temp is only 425F and I don't wanna bake w/o any lining and make a mess of my oven w drippings.

My fault w the cheese as I usually don't use that much, just that I wanted to finish my bag of mozzarella and just plunked it all down.
I just end up putting a sheet of aluminium foil at the bottom of the oven - though I suppose a tray could work too..
(I looked at silicone and teflon liners and the concept seems good, but the available products just seem bad - so far..)

ps: MORE CHEESE. MORE CHEESE. (i'd do the same - finish the bag)
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #38
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
I just end up putting a sheet of aluminium foil at the bottom of the oven - though I suppose a tray could work too..
(I looked at silicone and teflon liners and the concept seems good, but the available products just seem bad - so far..)

ps: MORE CHEESE. MORE CHEESE. (i'd do the same - finish the bag)
Haha, ya, just wanted to finish the bag cuz I don't use it for anything else.

I realize lots of ppl cook 'naked', put food directly on the rack and for sure it cooks better but I don't wanna deal w the mess. Even lining the bottom of the oven I'd still need to clean it due to drippings, etc+the rack itself, so I always use a pan+line w parchment paper.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50