BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-13-2021, 05:36 AM   #2839
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

... if you remember when European cars looked different!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 08:47 PM   #2840
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

When you’re renewing a car registration and need the mileage, head out to get it, realize the grass needs mowing, gear up and mow the grass, gear down and go back in, and wonder why the desk light is on.
Appreciate 6
M_Six16772.50
upstatedoc7555.50
hubbahubba8771.50
JJ 911SC22244.50
vreihen1615091.00
      06-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #2841
NYCGP 2.0
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M850 Gran Coupe

You literally can't figure out the email address you used on your Bimmerpost forum account from a decade ago…
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:15 PM   #2842
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

You put your dad's phonaks in, and can't believe what the world has done with SOUND!
Appreciate 1
3.0L8923.00
      06-14-2021, 01:41 PM   #2843
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
You put your dad's phonaks in, and can't believe what the world has done with SOUND!
I bought a pair of Phonak hearing aids 6 months ago and I love them. These replaced my 6 year old Oticon Alta's. They have built-in rechargeable batteries and up to 6 Bluetooth pairings. Also, I have much control with a free app that allows me to set them for various environments such as restaurants, etc.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
wdb4695.50
      06-14-2021, 02:03 PM   #2844
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I bought a pair of Phonak hearing aids 6 months ago and I love them. These replaced my 6 year old Oticon Alta's. They have built-in rechargeable batteries and up to 6 Bluetooth pairings. Also, I have much control with a free app that allows me to set them for various environments such as restaurants, etc.
Do these Phonaks help with tinnitus at all?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #2845
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Quote:
Quote:
My dads seem to CAUSE it. But he just loaned them to me since he doesn't wear them much any more, after I mentioned I had been to the ENT for testing/review

Phonak wasn't even on the list when I left the office
Suds1597.00
      06-14-2021, 04:51 PM   #2846
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Phonak has a free app for tinnitus. It doesn't make tinnitus go away. All it does is sort of mask it with background noise. I've had tinnitus since I was in the Army. I don't usually think about it unless someone brings up the the topic. So, I guess I've learned to "tune it out" so to speak.

I did try the various background noises that the app pipes in via Bluetooth and didn't find it to be much of an improvement. I think natural ambient "noises" work just as well.

Appreciate 1
M_Six16772.50
      06-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #2847
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Quote:
Phonak has a free app for tinnitus. It doesn't make tinnitus go away. All it does is sort of mask it with background noise.
Generally speaking, hearings help with tinnitus by making other sounds louder and distracting one from the sound. My Siemens----errr, Signia aids have the background noise option, which I tried and detested. They also have what is called 'notch therapy', wherein the sounds right where the tinnitus is are attenuated. It's intended to de-sensitize the hearing of that frequency. I have that active on mine and believe it works, but it's enormously subjective; after all nobody can hear your tinnitus but you.

(40-something year tinnitus sufferer, 30-something year hearing aid wearer)
Appreciate 2
M_Six16772.50
3.0L8923.00
      06-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #2848
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

My tinnitus is somehow tied to the range of hearing loss I have. Upper freqs, so my ears ring (or whine) all the time at a high pitch like I just came out of a rock concert. The thing about ambient noise with me is crucial because any ambient noise at all makes my ears ring louder. I often sleep with earplugs if it's raining or windy at night because that noise makes them ring louder. Same with flying. I always have to wear earplugs on a flight. I rarely watch TV except for the occasional baseball game, and those I watch with the sound muted. So drowning out the ringing with more noise is not an option.

It was once explained to me that my tinnitus is similar to the phantom pain an amputee feels, even though the foot or limb that "hurts" is no longer there. It's just the brain making up for the loss of sensation from the missing nerves. With my tinnitus, it's my brain making up for the loss of the high frequency noise range. The louder the mid-level and lower frequency noise, the louder my tinnitus gets, as if my brain was trying to match the sound level of the real noise. This makes sense to me because I can clearly hear my ears ringing above any music, not matter how loud the music is playing.

I know there are programs that try to induce a noise that cancels out the range of one's tinnitus. I can't think of the term off the top of my head, but basically it's an inverse frequency. It supposedly takes a fair amount of time to dial in the correct frequency. Trial and error, as it were.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:15 AM   #2849
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

...when your ear clogs with wax & you can't hear stuff on that side well.
But you don't really care.
Appreciate 1
wdb4695.50
      06-15-2021, 11:31 AM   #2850
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
...when your ear clogs with wax & you can't hear stuff on that side well.
But you don't really care.
That happens to me occasionally. For me it can be bothersome. I go to my ENT doctor for a good cleaning once in a while. Reminds me, I'm due.

Tried those home ear wax removal kits. Not as good as going to my doc.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      06-15-2021, 12:56 PM   #2851
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
That happens to me occasionally. For me it can be bothersome. I go to my ENT doctor for a good cleaning once in a while. Reminds me, I'm due.

It is interfering with my music appreciation, though.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43173.50
      06-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #2852
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My tinnitus is somehow tied to the range of hearing loss I have. Upper freqs, so my ears ring (or whine) all the time at a high pitch like I just came out of a rock concert. The thing about ambient noise with me is crucial because any ambient noise at all makes my ears ring louder. I often sleep with earplugs if it's raining or windy at night because that noise makes them ring louder. Same with flying. I always have to wear earplugs on a flight. I rarely watch TV except for the occasional baseball game, and those I watch with the sound muted. So drowning out the ringing with more noise is not an option.

It was once explained to me that my tinnitus is similar to the phantom pain an amputee feels, even though the foot or limb that "hurts" is no longer there. It's just the brain making up for the loss of sensation from the missing nerves. With my tinnitus, it's my brain making up for the loss of the high frequency noise range. The louder the mid-level and lower frequency noise, the louder my tinnitus gets, as if my brain was trying to match the sound level of the real noise. This makes sense to me because I can clearly hear my ears ringing above any music, not matter how loud the music is playing.

I know there are programs that try to induce a noise that cancels out the range of one's tinnitus. I can't think of the term off the top of my head, but basically it's an inverse frequency. It supposedly takes a fair amount of time to dial in the correct frequency. Trial and error, as it were.
It might be noise-cancelling technology. It's built-in to high end aviation headsets and works pretty well. Even some newer airliners have it built into the cabin.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 01:07 PM   #2853
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It might be noise-cancelling technology. It's built-in to high end aviation headsets and works pretty well. Even some newer airliners have it built into the cabin.
I thought it was in some cars now?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #2854
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

Don't tell my audiologists, but I learned how to clean my ears with Q-tips without touching my eardrums. I do it daily. This reduces problems with my hearing aids plugging up. Also, if I don't keep on it, I will go completely deaf in 6 months or so.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 01:10 PM   #2855
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't tell my audiologists, but I learned how to clean my ears with Q-tips without touching my eardrums. I do it daily. This reduces problems with my hearing aids plugging up. Also, if I don't keep on it, I will go completely deaf in 6 months or so.
I don't have a hearing aid but I use Q-tips every day in my ears. It helps, but the doc works best for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:55 PM   #2856
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

No direct compensation, but look at Clinere as a replacement for Q-tips. OHHH, it itches your ear canal SOOO GOOOODDD!!!!

Audiologist told me to also put a dab of a light moisturizer in the bowl of my ears. Surprisingly good advice.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615091.00
      06-15-2021, 04:14 PM   #2857
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No direct compensation, but look at Clinere as a replacement for Q-tips. OHHH, it itches your ear canal SOOO GOOOODDD!!!!

Audiologist told me to also put a dab of a light moisturizer in the bowl of my ears. Surprisingly good advice.
Oh good! I bought some this morning, but the stick with plastic feathers scared me.

PS: Will do tonight.

Last edited by Littlebear; 06-15-2021 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 04:16 PM   #2858
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Oh good! I bought some this morning, but the stick with plastic feathers scared me.
ROTATION, not in/out.

I haven't had enough wax available to use the scoop.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      06-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #2859
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Those look like some of the tools my doctor uses. Would probably work better than Q-tips. Might get some.
      06-15-2021, 04:37 PM   #2860
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ROTATION, not in/out.

I haven't had enough wax available to use the scoop.
Mine came with some weird oil, when I was expecting a peroxide fluid.
If you got it, do you like the oil?
Appreciate 0