BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #23
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I go around compulsively turning off lights and appliances that have been left on in the home. My family keeps my compulsion fed by constantly leaving everything on in the house like we're made out of fucking money
Appreciate 7
King Rudi13154.00
Joekerr7929.00
UncleWede17962.50
F32Fleet3566.00
Nachbar8023.00
      04-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #24
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
My massive work energy. At home on a rainy day I can lay around and watch TV etc and not be too bothered. But once I am at work my leg is bouncing or I have a stress ball in my hand or therapy putty or stress toy and I chew gum all day to keep from gritting my teeth.

Not sure why I can shut it off at home, but at work I am just in go mode and always have been.

Oh - and loving shit food.
King Rudi13154.00
      04-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #25
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
We are only intimidating to those who are insecure. A confident person is rarely intimidated. At least this is what I tell myself. I'm told the same. Usually by women.
Insecure people are easy to spot. Thats why I like seeing people's eyes.

But I go out of my way to try and bolster their confidence.

Maybe I go about it wrong, but I've told people to look at me when they want to talk as I'm no better than they are.
      04-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #26
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
My massive work energy. At home on a rainy day I can lay around and watch TV etc and not be too bothered. But once I am at work my leg is bouncing or I have a stress ball in my hand or therapy putty or stress toy and I chew gum all day to keep from gritting my teeth.

Not sure why I can shut it off at home, but at work I am just in go mode and always have been.

Oh - and loving shit food.
Shit....you just reminded me of my biggest hangup. I'm the same way....but all hours. I constantly have to be doing something or I feel like I'm not being productive.

I can't turn it off....and I don't sleep much.
      04-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #27
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
We are only intimidating to those who are insecure. A confident person is rarely intimidated. At least this is what I tell myself. I'm told the same. Usually by women.
Yeah only women have told me I come off as intimidating. The last girl I met in person (sad that I have to fucking specify this) has told me that I came off as intimidating and I was the last person she expected to spend time with in the group we traveled in. Of course when a man sees a challenge he accepts it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Turkish Pickle

Maybe we come off as assertive. I will admit, I'm a confident person...but I'm not cocky.

I treat everyone as equal as that is how I was raised. I'm no better than anyone else, but the same applies the other way.

Maybe just a personality trait although I'm not saying it's good or bad.
I'm the same way, I genuinely don't see how I can come off as intimidating. I have a tendency to make friends with virtually everyone. I'm thinking the confidence combined with 6'3 scares insecure girls but idk
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8208.00
King Rudi13154.00
      04-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #28
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Yeah only women have told me I come off as intimidating. The last girl I met in person (sad that I have to fucking specify this) has told me that I came off as intimidating and I was the last person she expected to spend time with in the group we traveled in. Of course when a man sees a challenge he accepts it.

I'm the same way, I genuinely don't see how I can come off as intimidating. I have a tendency to make friends with virtually everyone. I'm thinking the confidence combined with 6'3 scares insecure girls but idk

Well there's your answer.... you're 6'3".

I'm only 5'7".
      04-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #29
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Shit....you just reminded me of my biggest hangup. I'm the same way....but all hours. I constantly have to be doing something or I feel like I'm not being productive.

I can't turn it off....and I don't sleep much.
As I get older I do sleep better - which is weird. As long as I don't eat a big dinner and maybe have a nice cap or two....I sleep 6-7 hours pretty solid most nights.

I am all or nothing. I can be a lazy bum and actually enjoy it for a bit - but once I start the motor anything that slows me down drives me nuts. I'm usually doing 2-3 things at once. Slow movers/talkers make me wanna pull my hair out.

Glad I am not alone.
      04-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #30
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Turkish Pickle

Maybe we come off as assertive. I will admit, I'm a confident person...but I'm not cocky.

I treat everyone as equal as that is how I was raised. I'm no better than anyone else, but the same applies the other way.

Maybe just a personality trait although I'm not saying it's good or bad.
I'm the exact same way. It's just how I was raised. Be kind toward everyone under initial meeting. Be fair, but be firm. Give respect, but only after it is earned. Don't start any shit, but don't take any either.

I'll admit, I give people benefit of the doubt but once the bullshit alarm has been triggered; I have no problems calling them out on it to their face. This does not earn me friends at work. The way I see it is that the reason people try to bullshit us, is because everyone else has done them the disservice of not calling them out on it; therefore they continue to do it. I feel like I'm saving them major problems in the future by calling them out on small problems now.
Appreciate 3
      04-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #31
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Insecure people are easy to spot. Thats why I like seeing people's eyes.

But I go out of my way to try and bolster their confidence.

Maybe I go about it wrong, but I've told people to look at me when they want to talk as I'm no better than they are.
I like that. I need to work on building people up rather then berating them. I have a tendency to come across as harsh in my delivery of info. The more I think about this, I think I look people in the eyes in a normal fashion. I'll be insecure about this going forward now.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      04-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #32
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm the exact same way. It's just how I was raised. Be kind toward everyone under initial meeting. Be fair, but be firm. Give respect, but only after it is earned. Don't start any shit, but don't take any either.

I'll admit, I give people benefit of the doubt but once the bullshit alarm has been triggered; I have no problems calling them out on it to their face. This does not earn me friends at work. The way I see it is that the reason people try to bullshit us, is because everyone else has done them the disservice of not calling them out on it; therefore they continue to do it. I feel like I'm saving them major problems in the future by calling them out on small problems now.
Exactly....and just be open. I can't stand fake people. I will respect you more if you call me out for doing something wrong than if you let it slide.
      04-13-2020, 03:38 PM   #33
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Exactly....and just be open. I can't stand fake people. I will respect you more if you call me out for doing something wrong than if you let it slide.
Yes! And a person has to be big enough to admit fault. Let go of the ego and learn some humility. If I do something wrong, you won't have the chance to call me out on it, I'll bring it to the person first. This also carries a person far with the ladies. If you show honest vulnerability rather than trying to be the cool guy, you end up with the ladies while the cool guys are at home bitching about Tinder ho's.

(sorry FuriouslyFast )
Appreciate 3
      04-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #34
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
I tend to look down or away when talking to people as I get very shy and nervous - especially if it's just small talk
Not saying this is absolutely the case for you, but this is pretty common amongst introverts (myself included).
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #35
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

People have commented on my brutal honesty, yes. I know exactly what you mean
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      04-13-2020, 03:50 PM   #36
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I don't know if i want to break it as it's my only vice but i scratch my inner ear a lot. Like a lot. o satisfying.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #37
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
I need to quit my nicotine addiction. Started with cigs, moved over to juul, and just kinda stayed there. Need to get rid of it somehow
The patch worked for me. The problem is a few months or a year or so later, I start again... ugh
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #38
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I've got the procrastination problem too & it's worse at times right now. Once I start a project though I try to knock it out until my ADD kicks in and I stop for a few minutes start something else and then go back and finish the other project.

I'm pretty black and white and my husband tells me all the time I need to round my edges. I've tried to get better at biting my tongue but it's so freaking hard.
I think part of this comes from my job not having much time to get my point across so I am very quick & to the point. I don't deal well with people bullshitting. If I sense that I will typically go research something to the max so I can become more knowledgeable for the next encounter.

Along with this comes wearing my expression on my face. If I'm not fond of someone I'm talking to you can read it all over. I've been in meetings before and we have this bonehead who asks the dumbest questions & I may not say anything but my face says it all.

Maybe I should change my profile name to Brutus
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #39
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
I've got the procrastination problem too & it's worse at times right now. Once I start a project though I try to knock it out until my ADD kicks in and I stop for a few minutes start something else and then go back and finish the other project.

I'm pretty black and white and my husband tells me all the time I need to round my edges. I've tried to get better at biting my tongue but it's so freaking hard.
I think part of this comes from my job not having much time to get my point across so I am very quick & to the point. I don't deal well with people bullshitting. If I sense that I will typically go research something to the max so I can become more knowledgeable for the next encounter.

Along with this comes wearing my expression on my face. If I'm not fond of someone I'm talking to you can read it all over. I've been in meetings before and we have this bonehead who asks the dumbest questions & I may not say anything but my face says it all.

Maybe I should change my profile name to Brutus
I have the same issue with people I don't care for. We have a particular individual in our office that was obviously bullied when they were younger. Now that they are older, they use their position to try to bully other people. I find it sad, but deal with it I must. I don't recall the conversation, but one of our production meetings got heated, while discussing an upcoming project that I was heading. I finally had enough of the mouth and told him, "I'm sorry that your daddy didn't hug you enough as a kid and I'm sorry that you got bullied when you were little; but being an ass to me, while trying to help you, isn't going to get you anywhere." He's worked here 25 years. I had been employed here for 6 months at the time. My comment did not go over well at the time, but since then; this individual and I have earned each others respect. I guess he needed to know that I was not to be walked on and I needed to know what an ass hat I was dealing with for future endeavors.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8208.00
      04-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #40
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

When DRIVING, I sniff at people. Like our eyes meet, then I sniff. And to me, it seems almost like I'm being snooty and looking down my nose at them. They probably have zero clues.

Oh, and that whole cough thing, when I'm finished with Wednesday.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 06:33 PM   #41
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Well, you guys are bmw drivers. I mean we're SUPPOSED to be douchebags it's a rule.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #42
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Quote:

I have been told I come off as "intimidating". The same person also said I come off as fairly confident and that she sees my confidence from the way I enunciate words. I have no clue what any of that means, but I've been told I come off as intimidating as well. Definitely all ears if you figure out what/why we come off as harsh/intimidating.
This happens a lot to me as well. Apparently, feeling comfortable in your own skin or being confident in your ability to manage yourself in any given situation is considered "intimidating " by a lot of people.

I treat people the way I wish to be treated, so I'm usually polite and mannered, unless provoked to use the old escalation of force protocol, lol.

I had a girl I dated on and off for 4 years say that when we first met, she said I looked like a guy that shouldn't ever be asked, "do you know what time it is" so I was ultimately intriguing to her since I still exercise many habits that are considered "chivalrous" by today's standards, apparently.

It's a double edged sword however, since I've learned that I've missed a few "opportunities" when I bump onto certain people later in life because of my supposedly strong, silent demeanor as I maneuver through this world.
      04-13-2020, 08:27 PM   #43
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

i flip my pillow to the cold side before going to sleep..
not willing to break this though..
xander_g989.50
      04-13-2020, 08:35 PM   #44
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Road rage. I've done a remarkable job working on it for the past 3 weeks or so.
Rmtt8208.00
King Rudi13154.00