BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

10-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Type 1 charge cable extension lead

Has anyone had European / UK experience of one of these? My power point is a stretch for the 5m supplied cable. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
I am only familiar with the codes and electrical requirements for where I live in the US, but since no one has chimed in yet, I'll share what I know:

If the use of an extension cord is legal on an EVSE (not a fire or safety hazard where you live), make sure the wire gauge is sufficient to carry the current. There are tables online to look up what it would take based on voltage and wattage, and you want to stay below 80% of the cord's ability. If all the connections are solid and remain dry, the EVSE won't be able to tell the difference if it's getting powered from longer in-wall wiring, or an extension cord. Fire safety / home insurance may be a different story though.

Hope somebody else can help.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. BMW UK informed me today they do not supply longer cables nor recommend the use of extension leads. Noting that, your statements make great sense. I am surprised nobody markets longer cables yet. Surely there is a market? For now I am in limbo.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
Tumo135
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I have been using an extension cords for a couple of years with my prius plugin with no issues. Like Doenermann said as long as you use the proper gauge i dont think there will be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for that. I presume you mean a special ev cable rather than a domestic lead of the sort you get in a hardware store? Thanks
Appreciate 0