BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-26-2018, 06:43 AM   #1
dafence
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 2003 325i

Unhappy The clock in my 2003 E46 resets each time I start the car

own a 325i 2003 bmw coupe 4dr, My Alternator died and had it replaced was charged 694.00, The serviceman also sold me a new battery for another 233.00
Started the car and right away I had 2 burnt out front headlights which they charged 20.00 dollars each and another 115.00 plus tax in labour.
Also my clock was flashing ---*--- so I reset it. When I turned the car off and restarted the engine. The clock went back to ---*---. It keeps resetting itself everytime. I went in the trunk and behold the battery cover was just thrown on top of the battery. I noticed a wire hanging down on the positive side over the battery but was not connected . just hanging loose. Q1) what is this wire Q2) why is the clock resetting.. All told I am out over 1000 dollars not including 150 for towing.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 07:43 AM   #2
StuP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Pics might well help people assist.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

If the alternator were failing it could have overwhelmed the battery and headlights if the headlights were on. But the poster makes it seem like a sloppy repair job so if ignition was on and headlights in AUTOMATIC mode when alternator or battery were being replaced then that.

Take a pic of loose wire. Was BMW using battery vent and hose in his 3-series ? Or were there any aftermarket alarms or stereos on the car?
Appreciate 0